It's finally here! Sign up for Disney+ now
    Once hacked Would it even be possible to boot to native icecreamsandwich on PB hardware?

Any information on any projects investigating this?
    12-20-11 03:40 PM
    its probably in the works somewhere....
    12-20-11 07:28 PM
    in time we will see this fosho
    12-20-11 07:46 PM
    would be a nice alternive,but i highly doubt that.
    The dev community is too small and i think they have other priorities.
    12-20-11 11:13 PM
    no one is working on it. people can't even open a forum area on XDA for the playbook, let alone have any real development happen there.
    12-21-11 03:06 AM
    I thought there was an Android replacement but when looking around I found only add-on apps and dead-end projects.

Given Google's carelessness about security, their penchant for violating privacy, and their sloppy "bling over quality" implementation it would be useful for them to have strong competition on Android-friendly hardware.

Perhaps if a bunch of users were to make a commitment to invest in an alternative a small team might write it?

I'm not sure how to make certain that it would not be "vaporware" and then money and time wasted.
    Last edited by kd4e; 12-21-11 at 10:54 AM.
    12-21-11 09:36 AM
    My hopes were that the android player would bring full compatibility. I like the current OS. just the lack of apps is brutal. If RIM would give us a full speed full compatibility android player there would be no need for a full replacement.
    12-21-11 10:20 AM
    My hopes were that the android player would bring full compatibility. I like the current OS. just the lack of apps is brutal. If RIM would give us a full speed full compatibility android player there would be no need for a full replacement.
    I second this motion. Give me Netflix for god sake.
    12-22-11 12:39 AM
    a full speed full compatibility android player
    if rim could pull that,i would never ever even consider of buying a android tab even in future.
    And if they even could get ics apps running,i wouldnt care less about any other tweaks mods,whatsoever.
    This way you could get tons of apps but all that running on a great os,lets be honest,honeycomb never could deliver what people expected of googles first tablet os,and ics wont either because its not that much other than a mix of the smartphone/tablet world with a bit more polished look.
    12-22-11 04:57 AM
    I am 100% Linux guy so I'd much prefer a Google "Borg-free" solution.

I strongly dislike having to tolerate and trust their interference in my "Smartphone".

Since Android is built on a Linux base, and therefore much of the basics have to be open-source, it seems likely that someone will create an alternative eventually.

23% Open, not great, but better than Apple or MS:
    Is Android Open? Not So Much, Study Finds | PCWorld Business Center

I can live with less-bling and a few quirks for the sake of freedom and functionality.

Meanwhile, a way to block Google's remote access to Android phones would be nice ...
    12-22-11 09:19 AM
    no one is working on it. people can't even open a forum area on XDA for the playbook, let alone have any real development happen there.
    ^ This

If there was any Android port to come to the playbook it would be from XDA. However the mods at XDA seem very determined NOT to create a playbook forum much less have any content on there.

All requests to open an PB section have been shot down as of late.
    12-22-11 09:32 AM
    RIM have already said that they will look to upgrade the Android Player to 4.0, as its been Open Sourced.
    12-22-11 11:05 AM
    RIM have already said that they will look to upgrade the Android Player to 4.0, as its been Open Sourced.
    I think the OP means to be able to boot/start up the PB to the Android OS completely if he wanted to. This is called dual booting where you have two OS version on the same machine, and you simply choose your OS when you start a device (cold start from complete power-off).
    12-22-11 11:12 AM
    Why are Google or XDA controlling factors in an alternative to Android?

Why cannot an alternative be developed completely apart from them, as Linux development is done all the time?

As long as the hardware is not locked somehow to prevent an alternative OS ...
    12-22-11 01:06 PM
    I think the OP means to be able to boot/start up the PB to the Android OS completely if he wanted to. This is called dual booting where you have two OS version on the same machine, and you simply choose your OS when you start a device (cold start from complete power-off).

If android player was fully compatible, then that would be perfect. I was only suggesting a full OS replacement port to get around the RIM shortcomings in the current player. Having a compatible player would give us the best of both worlds making the value proposition of playbook much greater than that of any standard android tablet. The hardware itself is great!
    12-22-11 01:31 PM
    Since the bootloader is locked down so tight because of RIM's ultra security, can't we just flash some sort of ROM to make it close to 100% android capable.

We don't necessarily have to mess around with the kernel. My Moto Bionic's bootloader is locked down, but I stil can get some nice ROMs on it.

Anybody know the mods in XDA? Why are they so dead set against the Playbook?
    For this device to shine we have to get some level of Android on it and XDA is the place to be. I think Android is the only option since a critical mass of good devs are already working around the clock and collaborating on it. What we need are those devs to look at our device.

I think even with OS2 out, none of the devs will want to tinker with such a closed platform like QNX
    12-22-11 02:23 PM
    This was an interesting read - it just showed up in my Inbox:

Initiative 1: A truly open alternative to Android
    The first initiative, named Boot to Gecko, aims to use open Web technologies to deliver a runtime and underlying operating system for desktop and mobile applications. If this sounds like Android or Chrome OS, it should. Boot to Gecko uses some of the same lower-level building blocks as Android, such as the Linux kernel and libusb. The team says this choice was made to reduce the burden on device makers that will be faced with certifying Boot to Gecko on new hardware. Although some building blocks are shared, Boot to Gecko is not based on Android and will not run Android applications.

If Mozilla can successfully execute on the third initiative below, Boot to Gecko will be difficult for OEMs to ignore. There is a lot more work for Mozilla to do before Boot to Gecko can attract the attention of Android device manufacturers. However, OEMs and users will benefit from serious open source competition to Android.

Mozilla's 3 bold bets to keep the Web open | Open Source Software - InfoWorld

I am guessing that the rest-of-the-story is that Android apps could be ported to B2G but not run natively. That would fit their goal of standardizing apps across hardware and OS's.

Is B2G based on Android?

No. B2G uses some of the same low-level building blocks used in Android (Linux kernel, libusb, etc) in order to reduce the burden on ODMs/OEMs to bring up B2G on new hardware. However, B2G is not based on Android, and will not be compatible with the Android stack (in particular B2G will not run Android applications).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G
    Last edited by kd4e; 12-23-11 at 10:23 AM.
    12-23-11 10:18 AM
    Why are Google or XDA controlling factors in an alternative to Android?

Why cannot an alternative be developed completely apart from them, as Linux development is done all the time?

As long as the hardware is not locked somehow to prevent an alternative OS ...
    1) because no one here is skilled enough or care enough to do it
    2) because xda is obviously the biggest resource for this kind of stuff and without other like-minded devs chiming in to help, its a lost cause
    3) no bootloader hack available. that would be the very first step and that hasnt been accomplished and afaik, even attempted by anyone
    12-23-11 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD