Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

127 78.88%
  • No

28 17.39%
  • What is Zinio?

6 3.73%
    I thought I'd give it a try just to see what's what. Maybe I'm missing something, but is the online account not linked to the app? I got the $5 credit email, followed the directions therein to go to to the site and pick out a title, only to find that while it shows up in My Library in the browser interface, it doesn't in the PB app. Are we being hustled with another slapdash Android port here?
    They said it is an native app. Did you purchase one is set up for the PlayBook?

James
    03-26-12 06:47 PM
    It seems like they send out ads every other day. Make sure you read them. Today or last night I got a $10 z perks for spending $10. That expires this month so I could have missed out on it. So I bought Maxim before the sale ended. Cost me a dollar.

James
    03-29-12 09:02 PM
    Anyone else having trouble in Canada BUYING subscriptions from Zinio.com? I have tried about 5 different credit cards and I always get the same response that they cannot accept credit card payments at this time and I should try again later today. No other payment type is coming up like Paypal.
    03-30-12 08:33 AM
    They said it is an native app. Did you purchase one is set up for the PlayBook?
    It is native, I found that the mags I was attempting to get weren't available for the PB. I missed the categorization system they have in place...such as it is.
    03-30-12 09:41 AM
    Anyone else having trouble in Canada BUYING subscriptions from Zinio.com? I have tried about 5 different credit cards and I always get the same response that they cannot accept credit card payments at this time and I should try again later today. No other payment type is coming up like Paypal.
    Well i'm in the UK and had problems with Paypal - just goes in a loop. However, if you go to Zinio in the browser, you can pay for episodes/subscriptions there with whatever method, and then the next time you load the Zinio app, your orders will show there - ready for download.

Not ideal but I just keep Zinio as a bookmark now and buy through that.

Hope that helps mate
    03-30-12 09:51 AM
    I subscribed to SLAM (basketball magazine) and this cooking/food magazine. And for some reason they're giving me Elle magazine for free (or at least their latest issue of it). I have like $3 left, I'm wondering if I can still use that or not.
    03-30-12 10:20 AM
    I bought six and on single issue of a magazine. I did it in three transactions using credits. Each time I was over and had to use a credit card. Not one was there a problem. I'm in Nova Scotia. That was all from the website while on the computer. I haven't tried doing it in the app yet because it's not set up to use the discounts yet.

James
    03-30-12 10:59 AM
    Man do we have a ton of complainers here. This is one of the best apps for the PlayBook and it is on the first version. It works fine. I hope they improve it, but as it is now, it is functional. I'm just glad I don't have to mess around with the browser any more. It is definitely native, even if they didn't update their webpage of FAQs. Not sure what either of those have to do with whether or not the app is an Android port or not.
    MsTiaLia likes this.
    03-30-12 11:58 AM
    I bought Sound & Vision, Popular Mechanics, and, yes Maxim last night with my credit. Worked fine, but (as Zinio's e-mail stated), I did it all through the website. But all my magazines are now on my Playbook. Awesome.
    03-30-12 12:04 PM
    Love it. It is better than the pc version on my computer. I am very happy with it except not all magazines showed up (the past monthly copies)...

I always had zinio, so another 25 credit is brilliant!
    03-30-12 12:20 PM
    Man do we have a ton of complainers here. This is one of the best apps for the PlayBook ..
    Curious:

1)How does your Zinio client act when you read in portrait and manually zoom in to read.. does it cut-off the leftmost part of the page?

2)When zoomed in to readable size, and swipe to next page, does it retain the zoom?

3)How do you search for text in a publication?

4)How can you copy from text/articles?
    03-30-12 01:13 PM
    I use it. However, as I understand it, the only way to read The Economist on PB is to sideload the Android version?
    03-30-12 01:24 PM
    Haven't received my $25 yet. And how come Blackberry App does't have adult content. I'm just saying.
    03-30-12 02:49 PM
    Curious:

1)How does your Zinio client act when you read in portrait and manually zoom in to read.. does it cut-off the leftmost part of the page?

2)When zoomed in to readable size, and swipe to next page, does it retain the zoom?

When I put it in portrait mode, I can only see one page at a time. If you zoom in, obviously parts of the page are cut off.

If you are zoomed in and swipe to the next page, it does not retain the zoom size.

I've never tried to search for text in a publication. I don't know if it is possible. I haven't seen a search option.

I haven't seen a way to copy text.
    03-30-12 02:56 PM
    Maxim, Home theater & C�mo funciona
    03-30-12 03:20 PM
    I figured it out. Somehow I added the items in my cart at Zinio US and it would not let me buy the subscriptions. I cleared my cart, updated my settings to ensure it had my address as Canada, looked up the mags I wanted again, added them to my cart and the transaction went through no problem.
    03-30-12 04:31 PM
    Curious:

1)Mine does, emailed Zinio and they say an update will fix this "soon".
    2)Mine does not. Always zooms out. Annoying.
    3)I tried, dont think you can.
    4)No.
    03-30-12 10:31 PM
    1)Mine does, emailed Zinio and they say an update will fix this "soon".
    i e-mailed them too - not heard anything from them since...

Another annoying thing is ... when you in landscape mode have a nice picture - as soon as you try to zoom in a little bit - a black line is drawn from top to bottom to split the pages.. and obstructing the picture.

I think they could use the screen real-estate a little bit better and fill the screen - using a little bit larger font/zoom...
    03-30-12 10:47 PM
    When I put it in portrait mode, I can only see one page at a time. If you zoom in, obviously parts of the page are cut off.

The problem is that no matter how you "move" the page in zoomed mode, it sometimes move the page back and keep the left or right side cut off - making it impossible to read -... and it don't only happen in portrait - but also landscape mode.
    03-30-12 10:50 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD