08-03-12 11:03 PM
447 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Waus! Its like Zinio wanted to go out and help destroy the PB. What a craxxy application.

Installed it! Met with login screen (i think) saying Cant Translate%%^^ Cant Translate%%^^ Cant Translate%%^^ Cant Translate%%^^ Cant Translate%%^^. So i went back and changed my language to US instead of Danish. It worked. Pressed shop... LAAAGGG... 2 seconds later i was in. Settings and back buttons are extremely slow, take 1-3 second to react. Search is poor, cannot search free mags in order to try out how Zinio actually works on PB.

So... i finally found some free mags on the website through my laptop. Just to be faster. I searched for the titles on the PB. When i typed them in i get an error on most of them and got redirected to their site. (Awesome!). So, i went to my laptop and got a few free mags to my account. Only to see: That the PB didnt show them and/or sync them. So i close the app and restart it. There they were! But.... you have to download them, they were not in your library synced up. WTF!

So... i open the first mag and get: ERROR! Wauv!

i uninstalled the app, re-installed.... Same sh*t. Though i do get to read the mags now, only to discover that it works really really bad. Wauv! Im really chocked they couldnt do a descent app. Maybe they should outsource it to TAT to get it to be good. Cause anyone thinking: Zinio is great on PB must be absolutely delusional.
    Last edited by baandoptager; 03-21-12 at 05:16 AM.
    yanicmb likes this.
    03-21-12 05:13 AM
    Wow, the subscription price on "featured" magazines is amazing. 9 issues of "Bike" for the price of one issue... snapped that up in a hurry.

Magazines continue to download without problems. Reading still snappy. The app continues to work for me just fine.

DG
    03-21-12 07:21 AM
    The censor issue is outrageous! Currently I am not reading a magazin that would be affected by this, but it is a matter of principle. They should allow every magazine that Zinio sells on the playbook. It is ok if the provider, in that case Zinio decides what they want to sell or not, but it is absolutely inacceptable that my device decides what I can read/see/hear or not. Seriously, I live in Switzerland after all and this here is not some totalitarian regime yet.

Also I really hope that Zinio converts the remaining magazines to playbook format, as I currently cannot read neither my subscription of Robb Report nor my 6 different single issue magazines I have in my library.
    03-21-12 07:34 AM
    To be fair, it doesn't sound like RIM has had any say whatsoever (yet?), but rather that Zinio is merely keeping in line with the requests/guidelines set in their experience developing for the other platforms.

Edit: wow, nevermind, clearly my info was not up to date
    Last edited by mem0ryburn; 03-21-12 at 07:46 AM.
    03-21-12 07:41 AM
    The app need lots of touch up..scrolling is not smooth, need to have flipping page effect, zoom is choppy, the quality of the scanning is awful.
    When browsing for titles, If you open the individual issue you can't go back to the original page and have to start all over again. How about more glowing effect or sound so we know we make an selection. Also, we need a bigger home button so we don't accident touch the shopping cart icon.
    OMG am i complaining too much? ok i'll stop but really I think it still need lots of improvement here.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Playbookowner; 03-21-12 at 09:07 AM.
    03-21-12 09:00 AM
    I downloaded the Zinio app, created an account, and made my first purchase. However, I received an error code 1009 another magazine will not download. I have contacted Zinio, but wonder if anyone else is experiencing problems or has successfully downloaded?
    I contacted Zinio about this error and they told me to change the Zinio application permission to "allow" (in the Playbook security settings). That fixed it for me.
    narci and sirCLD like this.
    03-21-12 09:27 AM
    This issue I am having which I notice others have pointed out: zoom in to the page, and it cuts the edge of the page off.
    Takes 2 or 3 attempts to move to the edge of the page without it turning a page.
    And also who the heck thought it a good idea in landscape mode, that you could only see 2 pages side by side and not a single page.
    Zinio have had how long to test/create this?
    03-21-12 09:42 AM
    I contacted Zinio about this error and they told me to change the Zinio application permission to "allow" (in the Playbook security settings). That fixed it for me.
    Ah. Yes, when it first installed/ran, I did deny what seemed rather open ended permissions. Now I when to the Security Option and see what it says. That Permission seems rather BROAD: "Device Identifying Information: Allows this app to access information that uniquely identifies your tablet. This could be used to track information about you and your usage patterns."

Does this mean they know exactly where I live (gps) and where I read. Who my contacts are? What sites I visit in the Browser?
    03-21-12 09:43 AM
    no it means they know YOUR device specifically. If they had multiple apps they could see that YOUR DEVICE had downloaded each and every one of their apps and if they have a backend system that monitors your activity within those apps they could theoretically build a profile for you.

This is similiar to cookies i assume...

Again, Im basing my explanation on the text which as you said, is very broad. i could be wrong.
    03-21-12 10:15 AM
    I got a reply from Alec Saunders of RIM on the PG-13 issue, he said:

"@IrishMJ We prohibit sexually explicit content, but there should be no proscription on so-called "mature" content. I've just confirmed."

So either Zinio have made an error, or RIM are confused. I suggested to him that perhaps someone in RIM should talk with someone in Blackberry to sort out the issue.

MJ
    03-21-12 10:17 AM

"@IrishMJ We prohibit sexually explicit content, but there should be no proscription on so-called "mature" content. I've just confirmed."

So either Zinio have made an error, or RIM are confused. I suggested to him that perhaps someone in RIM should talk with someone in Blackberry to sort out the issue.

MJ
    I'm glad that other people are contacting RIM and commenting on this issue. Thanks. I truly hope that this get's sorted out between RIM and Zinio soon.
    03-21-12 10:50 AM
    Ah. Yes, when it first installed/ran, I did deny what seemed rather open ended permissions. Now I when to the Security Option and see what it says. That Permission seems rather BROAD: "Device Identifying Information: Allows this app to access information that uniquely identifies your tablet. This could be used to track information about you and your usage patterns."

Does this mean they know exactly where I live (gps) and where I read. Who my contacts are? What sites I visit in the Browser?
    I'm guessing no. The GPS has its own setting (GPS Location) - take a look at the security permissions for Facebook, or Poynt or any other GPS enabled application. There are also separate permissions for "Files" - I'm not sure if that would include contacts and browsing history, Since Zinio doesn't ask for those, I'm thinking they can't access location or browser data.
    03-21-12 10:51 AM
    And also who the heck thought it a good idea in landscape mode, that you could only see 2 pages side by side and not a single page.
    It's a magazine reader. Magazines use layouts that spread across both pages. They are intrinsically "landscape" in format.

DG
    03-21-12 10:51 AM
    I am excited to have Zinio... finally...

The web based magazine search is much more efficient, however it is very frustrating when you download a number of magazines (free samples to test the PB app out), and discover that they are not in the zinio PB library, yet available online. Doesn't help either that the magazine description highlights that it is compatible with RIM.
    03-21-12 11:18 AM
    no it means they know YOUR device specifically. If they had multiple apps they could see that YOUR DEVICE had downloaded each and every one of their apps and if they have a backend system that monitors your activity within those apps they could theoretically build a profile for you.

This is similiar to cookies i assume...

Again, Im basing my explanation on the text which as you said, is very broad. i could be wrong.
    I wouldn't consider it similar to cookies; I always assumed that this meant that the app was accessing your PIN (and/or S/N) in order to validate that the app is running on a device licensed to it. Of course, in the case of a FREE app like Zinio, where the content access is controlled by your login and not your device ID, I agree that this seems a bit odd.
    03-21-12 11:22 AM
    How is it feasible to display two pages side by side on a screen the size of the Playbook?
    This isnt physical media the app shouldnt restrict how the content can be displayed considering i can read a single page in portrait mode.
    03-21-12 11:22 AM
    How is it feasible to display two pages side by side on a screen the size of the Playbook?
    That's the tradeoff with the smaller size of the Playbook when compared to larger format devices like the iPad.

I've found that for photo spreads with larger captions the Playbook screen size is fine. For articles you have to zoom and pan - but a quick double-tap on the page drops to a default zoom that is an ideal size for trading legibility for the amount of panning that has to be done.

This isnt physical media
    But it replicates a physical medium. Magazines, unlike most "normal" ebooks, aren't streams of text with the occasional illustration or photo. The page layout counts. The relationship between the various graphic and textual elements is every bit as important as the content of the elements themselves.

There are going to be exceptions, of course. A fiction magazine like Asimov's can probably be rendered like a "regular" ebook with little consideration for the original layout required. (and Zinio provides a "text mode" for these sorts of magazines) But most other magazines need to preserve the layout to provide the full experience.

It's not a bug - it's a feature. Trying to chop off the facing page to cram it into portrait mode is like trying to watch the left side of a movie.

DG
    03-21-12 11:32 AM
    I got this solution from Zion last night as well. Works now.

My only other problem is now the touch sensitivity being wonky and how the top tool bar should be a swipe down instead of a tap. Otherwise I like it, looking forward to signing up for more subs!
    03-21-12 11:39 AM
    That's the tradeoff with the smaller size of the Playbook when compared to larger format devices like the iPad.

I've found that for photo spreads with larger captions the Playbook screen size is fine. For articles you have to zoom and pan - but a quick double-tap on the page drops to a default zoom that is an ideal size for trading legibility for the amount of panning that has to be done.

But it replicates a physical medium. Magazines, unlike most "normal" ebooks, aren't streams of text with the occasional illustration or photo. The page layout counts. The relationship between the various graphic and textual elements is every bit as important as the content of the elements themselves.

There are going to be exceptions, of course. A fiction magazine like Asimov's can probably be rendered like a "regular" ebook with little consideration for the original layout required. (and Zinio provides a "text mode" for these sorts of magazines) But most other magazines need to preserve the layout to provide the full experience.

It's not a bug - it's a feature. Trying to chop off the facing page to cram it into portrait mode is like trying to watch the left side of a movie.

DG
    In portrait mode it displays a single page, it should have the option of doing that in landscape too, this is no trade-off or a 7" screen limitation its just common sense, most digital magazines are in PDF format on a single page lay out, the Zinio app is the exception here.
    03-21-12 11:57 AM
    Here is the response from Zinio that I have received. I've copied the comments that I found most interesting here:

RIM restricts PG-13 content for mobile devices. Until they eliminate these restrictions, Zinio cannot provide PG-13 content for the Playbook. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Other comments, yes the magazine is available to browse on the device but not view. Because RIM did not notify of us of this beforehand, we were unable to remove the offers from in-app prior to launch. We are working on this now and it should disappear from the shop shortly.

GT(Gay Times) is not an adult magazine and I agree with you that it should be available on your device. Unfortunately the mag has a rating of PG-13 and falls into this category that Blackberry won't allow on their device.

In addition, please feel free to share your feedback with Blackberry about these censorship policies they have put into place for developers like us.

Kind regards,

Raphael Michel
    Zinio Customer Support
    1-888-946-4666
    I'm not sure it is RIM based on a twitter message I received from Alec Saunders.

I asked him if RIM has a policy in place that precludes mature magazines from being downloaded to the Playbook.

He has just replied with the following:"quite the contrary. We have a rating system in place so that content and app providers can self rate".
    Mr. Saunders's tweet does not in any way contradict the claim that RIM is blocking PG-13 and above content from the PB. In fact, quite the contrary. (Sorry; couldn't resist.) With the statement "We have a rating system in place so that content and app providers can self rate," Mr. Saunders has confirmed for us that RIM does indeed enforce a content filtering policy -- while he completely avoids the specifics of what the threshold for that policy is, leaving open the possibility that it is indeed PG-13.

MJ
    So now Mr. Saunders is giving us more detail than with the previous tweet; he is adding that the content threshold is "sexually explicit" content.

Based on these communications, both RIM and Zinio agree that it is RIM who is imposing content restrictions on the PB. The difference between the two companies' statements at this point is what that filtering threshold is; RIM (via the personage of Mr. Saunders) says that the threshold is content that is rated sexually explicit, while Zinio (via the personage of Mr. Michel) says that it's PG13. While there will always be some question as to what constitutes "sexually explicit," RIM has successfully pushed this issue off onto the provider by requiring them to self-rate.

So either Mr. Michel is incorrect, and soon Zinio will permit magazines like Maxim and the Gay Times, or else Mr. Saunders is incorrect, in which case he has only added to the egg on RIM's face by appearing to attempt to either cover this issue up or mislead PB owners with outright lies -- and that's the last thing RIM needs to pile on top of their existing woes.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-21-12 at 12:56 PM.
    Darlaten likes this.
    03-21-12 12:06 PM
    So it sounds like Maxim is in, but Playboy is still out. Hopefully Zinio and RIM will get it sorted out in the coming days/weeks.
    03-21-12 12:53 PM
    this is so stupid...i subscribe to playboy physically but would like it on my playbook...now from what i gather I'm being told that I'm 13 even though I'm an adult and can't look at anything intended for adults on my playbook...what is that about!! Just use the blackberry id's age to determine what they could view or have some kind of passcode that blocks all adult material...so stupid!
    03-21-12 12:56 PM
    I think what Alec Saunders was talking about is the rating you can assign to your app when you submit it.

They have certain options you can check or uncheck, for example "does your app/game include violence or blood" (not verbatim). Based on what your app does or does not contain, your app is given a rating.

Zinio is currently rated T for Teen. That rating was given based on information THEY put in about their app. If they want to stay rated T for teen, then they cant allow any content that goes above and beyond that rating.

If they allow magazines with content that goes OVEr the PG-13 or T for Teen rating, then the app would likely be rated M for Mature.

I dont think Zinio would want to be rated M for Mature because it could possibly give the wrong impression to parents. For that reason, they must have blocked access to certain material to keep a T rating...

SO, BOTH are technically right. Offering all content would push the app beyond a T rating, which is based on RIM guidelines, so ZINIO restricted some content, to stay in T rating...

Content Rating

Applications distributed through BlackBerry App World will be rated one of the following 4 ratings:
    1.General [G]
    2.Teen [T]

[General] is intended for all audiences and will include:
    • No violence
    • No sexual content, situations and/or themes
    • No profanity and/or crude humor
    • No drug and/or alcohol reference
    • No simulated gambling
    • No user-generated content
    • No social networking integration

[Teen] is intended for teen audiences and might include:
    • Mild or infrequent cartoon, fantasy and/or realistic violence
    • Mild or infrequent sexual content, situations and/or themes
    • Mild or infrequent profanity and/or crude humor
    • Mild or infrequent references to drugs and/or alcohol
    • Simulated gambling
    • User-generated content
    • Social networking integration

3.Mature [M]
    4.Adult [A]

[Mature] is intended for mature audiences and might include:
    • Intense or frequent graphic cartoon and/or realistic violence
    • Intense or frequent sexual content, situations and/or themes
    • Intense or frequent profanity and/or crude humor
    • Intense or frequent references to drugs and/or alcohol

[Adult] is intended for adult audiences and might include:
    • Extreme depictions of graphic violence, appropriate only for or legally restricted to persons of the age of majority.
    • Explicit references to drugs or alcohol, appropriate only for or legally restricted to persons of the age of majority.
    • Gambling, appropriate only for or legally restricted to persons of the age of majority

I wonder if there is a way to support TWO bars and have one show for kids whose parents activated the ratings lock in appworld, and the other to show for everyone else. Like a Zinio FULL and Zinio teen
    VeniceBB likes this.
    03-21-12 12:57 PM
    I emailed Zinio with Alec Saunders reply and suggested they contact RIM about the issue as both seem to have different understandings about the issue. I just got this reply:

"Hello MJ,

Thanks for your response, we just got word that RIM is and Zinio execs are meeting in NYC later today to work out the issue. We were told something different when submitting the app several weeks ago, but were contacted yesterday by RIM after the outcry from many Playbook users over this nonsensical restriction.

That being said at the current time, the official word is still that content that is rated PG-13 or higher in our library cannot appear on the device. As soon as that changes and we are told by RIM our app will not be removed from App World for allowing this content, it will appear on your device.

Kind Regards,

Zinio Customer Support
    888 946 4666"

Hopefully this will bring about a good result for users.

MJ
    cletis likes this.
    03-21-12 01:08 PM
    For people waiting for the $5 coupon or the $25 coupon to come - I downloaded and registered the app last night and today I got an email saying spend $10, get $10 in "bucks" to spend. I don't know if the promised offer(s) might still be coming, or if they grossly underestimated the amount of interest among PB users and now have to renege.
    03-21-12 01:16 PM
447 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD