can't login in China..wtf, it seems zinio is blocked in China, my iphone version can't login as well..been waiting for this app but disappointed over access issue in China
    opensourcebb.com has a story on how to use proxy to get around that. Give it a try and it might work for you.
    03-20-12 10:28 AM
    First let me say that in another forum about Zinio I stated that I would gladly eat crow if Zinio actually delivered on their promise. I you know what I ate for breakfast this morning.

Now! After downloading the application I was all too excited, especially thinking that since it was in App World that it was a native application..NOPE!!! I found that even though it doesn't open in the android player, it's still an Android application. This I hope will answer some of the issues everyone's been stating.

I was wondering why the only 1 of the 4 subscriptions was showing after I signed in. I wanted my MAXIM magazine, Black Men, and even my PC Magazine. None of them would download. Then I went to the help section. When browsing through it, all it spoke about is what an "ANDROID" application can and cannot do do. One of the biggest things is:

Due to policies and restrictions placed on them by GOOGLE, they cannot allow the downloading of ADULT magazines (my MAXIM, and BLACK MEN Magazines). I tested it by subscribing to another adult magazine, rebooted my playbook and got the same result. It did not show. hmmm-hmmm (fake clearing of the throat) Android anyone? But what of my PC Magazine. I still haven't figured out the whole back issue thing. I paid for them, I want my subscriptions in my LONG AWAITED APPLICATION. I sent them an email.. the next step is a phone call.

I then decided to test the download speed and download a single issue of T3 Magazine. It went through with no issues. ( I really wanted WIRED magazine but that was $60.00 for a year).

I felt that once I got a digital magazine reader on my playbook, i would need no more apps, I would be completed. NOT!! Still left with a feeling of incompleteness. Now I have to switch between Kindle and Zinio.

First LinkedIn Disappointed me, then NETFLIX, now Zinio?

I'm hoping that there will be updates and improvements but I don't expect to be able to get my "ADULT" Magazines on it. Forget about getting them on Kindle. I can't even get the U.S. version of GQ Magazine???

That reminds me.. there are GQ and Wired Apps in the Amazon Android store; would any of you conversion GURU's be interested in converting them for Playbook???

They likely used a third party app development platform (air for instance) to build for android, then built again with slight modifications for the playbook. It is not an android apk repackaged as a BAR.
    03-20-12 10:30 AM
    I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I downloaded the app this AM. Searched for magazines, bought an issue of Cycle Sport (can pay either by PayPal or via direct credit card). It downloaded right away.

Landscape mode shows both pages at once (as you'd expect). For full-spread images and most ads this is OK; for articles the text is a little small. But double-tapping the page zooms in just enough to make things legible, then you can pan around the page to read. This default zoom level is a pretty good tradeoff between legibility and the need to scroll around - I read very fast, but I didn't feel like I was scrolling too often. Panning/zooming/page flipping was fast and smooth.

It's a very nicely polished app and works exactly the way you'd expect.

Prices are expensive on the e-book scale, but cheap on the magazine scale.

In other words, this is the magazine app we've been waiting for. Good job Zinio.

DG
    03-20-12 10:58 AM
    ive got a couple of questions about the app itself, not magazine or issue availability

1) does the app work in landscape mode? is visibility better in landscape mode? i wouldnt mind scrolling a mag like a webpage

2) is it possible to gift magazine issues or subscriptions? i just got my little brother a playbook and I would love to get him a subcsription to one of the major video game mags but i wouldnt want him to be able to accidentally use my CC to buy more.
    03-20-12 11:00 AM
    But this is what I don't understand; this is not an android app therefore it should not be restricted to Google's censorship rules nor their moral superiority (that's laughable). As far as I'm concerned, if you decide to purchase a magazine, regardless of what it is, you should be able to read it at any of the platforms you chose. It is not up to Google nor Zinio nor RIM to decide what I or anyone else, as an adult, can read or put on our devices.
    The way I see it it's the Android app modified to run on the PlayBook. The screenshot I attached is from the help section of the app on my PlayBook downloaded from App World.
    03-20-12 11:04 AM
    Okay, I gather Mens Fitness may be restricted as it is not showing up. Hey, it was my free initial offer and I did not realize it had lots of abs and cleavage!!!

So, where's that $25 gift certificate?

And speaking of FREE, is there a way to search for FREE content? I'd like to test it without expending too much $$$$.
    03-20-12 11:13 AM
    OK!! I just got off the line with Zinio. I asked about my ADULT magazines and certain ones they will be removing from ALL mobile devices. So I will have to go online to read those. He did advise that Maxim is not considered and should be available. I advised that I was not able to download my Maxim subscription. He told me to give it a week and it should be there. They're still working out some of the kinks. Now my BlackMen Magazine will not be viewed on the Playbook.

I stated that I went through the help section within the app and told him that it spoke as if the app was an Android app. He advised that it's not an android application and he will look into it. He also said that Policies will change according to what RIM wants so the verbiage will change in the application.

So. I will give it another few weeks to see what bugs are worked out, if there are any updates and so forth.

More updates to come.
    03-20-12 11:15 AM
    I kinda dont wanna download the app until i can find out for sure if we're getting the $25 or not.

Im looking on zinios website and they keep trying to show me UK versions of magazines. For example i looked up Official XBOX Magazine to compare to the paper price. 12 Paper issues are 30...

at first i said WTF because zinio has em for 60, then i realized it was the UK version. it will not show me the US version
    03-20-12 11:16 AM
    The app isn't perfect but if they manage to get out an update or two this could be fantastic
    03-20-12 11:19 AM
    Hey check this out, from Zinios help page...

SO, in case a paper subscription is CHEAPER for some weird reason, if the mag support digital subscription, it can be migrated to zinio. they dont mention having to pay extra!

Q: How can I switch my print subscription over to Zinio?

A: The publishers that partner with Zinio consider digital subscriptions as separate from print subscriptions. If your preference is for the digital version, you can contact the publisher to have them switch your subscription to digital, if they have that capability. If not, simply cancel your print subscription and purchase a new subscription through Zinio.com.

When you contact the publisher, don't mention "digital" until they locate your account. Ask to simply "verify my subscription". They'll ask for your zip code and last name. Once they've found your account they can give you details. If they can switch your account to digital, be sure to provide the SAME email address that you've used to create your Zinio account with. Future issues will be delivered digitally. Please remember that it can take up to 4 weeks for the switch to occur. If you miss any issues during that time, please contact Zinio at [email protected] to request that they be added to your account.
    dimm0k likes this.
    03-20-12 11:20 AM
    Does anyone know of any free issues for US users? I want to test it out before committing (waiting on voucher info), and couldn't find any. I noticed Maxim is fairly cheap, but if it won't display on the device (based on what others have said), that's just a waste. I'm hoping the selection greatly improves too for tech/IT/science stuff with good prices.
    03-20-12 11:20 AM
    Ahhh, Zinio... you're finally here...

And as noted, it's gorgeous. Easy zooming, lovely navigation, nice design. It'll be great when it works right.

I've subscribed through Zinio for years. Car & Driver has been my favorite magazine since I was 14, and I like PC Magazine on Zinio as well. And last year (especially when I found out Zinio would be out for the Playbook), I subscribed to Esquire as well.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the app this morning to find I could only access my old Car & Driver and PC Mags. And when I say "old", I mean no later than December, '09!! And no Esquire at all!

On the plus side, yes, my old back issues looked gorgeous.

I like Zinio a lot, and I'm happy to see it on the Playbook. Hope they get this stuff fixed soon.
    03-20-12 11:27 AM
    Downloaded the app. Bought ProCycling Magazine. Everything appeared to download properly. Thumbnails at bottom of page show complete but when I select a page it gets pulled up and is incomplete. Right side of the page is cut off. Not sure what is wrong. Contacted Zinio by email and they should get back to me in 24-48 hours. Hope it can be resolved. Was very excited about this app. Now need to wait a bit longer.
    03-20-12 11:33 AM
    Yeah every page I've zoomed in on will not scroll to the edge of the page. It feels like nobody tried the app before releasing it.
    howarmat and shemaree09 like this.
    03-20-12 11:36 AM
    Shortly after I logged in on the website, I received a mail by zinio. A few hours ago, I regsitered to that PlayBook form, so I don't know exactly what triggered the mail.

It states:
    [...]To say thanks for registering, once you've made your first $10 purchase in the Zinio newsstand, you'll earn $10 in Z-perks so you can find new favorites.[...]

For everyone who want to test it with free magazines: Create an account and visit the website. You can find a free small selection. Once "purchased", they show up on your PlayBook library, too (if supported by the mag).
    http://www.zinio.com/browse/publicat...ategoryId=1177

About the app: Somehow, it doesn't show sub categories at the shop section to me. If at all, only few titles are listed there.
    Last edited by Rjinswand; 03-20-12 at 11:42 AM.
    03-20-12 11:38 AM
    I'm getting error 1009 when I try to download my subscription. Anyone know what this error is?
    03-20-12 11:40 AM
    Nice! Slow and steady will win the race
    03-20-12 11:51 AM
    im extremely disappointed.

I keep getting an Error #1009 and the one magazine I was finally able to open loads very slowly and doesn't zoom in.

What were they doing all this time?

In the help section it still refers to Android even though this is supposed to be a native Playbook app.

horrible app so far.
    03-20-12 11:54 AM
    I highly recommend signing up for a free account. The more activity these high-profile apps get from the Playbook, the greater the chances of other high-profile apps arriving on the system. Anytime there is a new adoption of the Playbook from Android or iOS app makers, it is highly advised to at least show some free activity on it. This activity information will get around and will encourage others to adopt the system.
    03-20-12 12:08 PM
    Here's Zinio's response to adult content.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

Apple, The Android Market, and other providers restrict adult content for mobile devices. Until they eliminate these restrictions, Zinio cannot provide adult content for the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Android. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

These publications continue to be accessible through the online or offline readers available for flash-compatible devices."
    03-20-12 12:09 PM
    does anyone see the regular GQ in the list of magazines? I can pretty much see all of the international GQ magazines but not the regular one.

Don't feel like paying $60 for the UK version
    03-20-12 12:13 PM
    i didnt see the regular gq either, was one of the first things i looked for
    03-20-12 12:22 PM
    Shortly after I logged in on the website, I received a mail by zinio. A few hours ago, I regsitered to that PlayBook form, so I don't know exactly what triggered the mail.

It states:
    [...]To say thanks for registering, once you've made your first $10 purchase in the Zinio newsstand, you'll earn $10 in Z-perks so you can find new favorites.[...]
    i just got this mail too. i was expecting the $25 credit. whheeeerrrreeee iiiizzzzziiittttttt.....
    03-20-12 12:30 PM
    looks like no $25 credit tho.

i just got the email about the free elle and esquire and a $5 credit

no email about the spend $10 get 10 z points

kinda takes the wind out of my sail :\
    03-20-12 12:43 PM
    i just got this mail too. i was expecting the $25 credit. whheeeerrrreeee iiiizzzzziiittttttt.....
    This is from their Facebook perks page.

Here�s How It Works:

Do what you love most � buy digital magazines! Every purchase counts - single issues and subscriptions.

Make your first $10 purchase on Zinio and receive $10 in Z-Bucks (within 72 hours). Then keep buying!

Buy 5 or more, get $5 in Z-Bucks*
    Buy 10 or more, get $10 in Z-Bucks**
    Buy 25 or more, get $25 in Z-Bucks***

Make sure you are opt in for perks
    03-20-12 12:50 PM
447 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD