Bought a magazine and read it. It was sure painful. Trying to swype to the next page is not easy. Also zooming in all the time is a bit of a pain too. I hope it gets a lot better.
    03-20-12 08:19 AM
    I completely agree with what sith has to say. In fact I came here to say that...
    I'm curious though, why does it look like people are happy with the app? Am I the only one seeing these problems, or is it just irrelevant to most people? The app seems to have positive reviews on the app world too
    I am happy with it purely because I can get 2 Australian magazines for 40% cheaper than the shelf price.
    The lag/jerkiness ir annoying but doesnt cripple the app and I cannot stand people that complain it isnt like the ios version blah blah. How long have ios had the app vs the BB OS?
    I dont care that it appears to be a "glorified" pdf reader, it can read and show the mags. Hopefully there will be some updates to improve useability, but I am not 100% sure what more people were expecting (aside from a couple bugs)?
    An Apple logo or Android logo somewhere?

EDIT: Also first time I fired this up it wouldnt load the store, I deleted and reinstalled and no issues since.
    03-20-12 08:28 AM
    Bought a magazine and read it. It was sure painful. Trying to swype to the next page is not easy. Also zooming in all the time is a bit of a pain too. I hope it gets a lot better.
    You realise the Playbook, being the size it is, wont display many magazines well and therefore zooming is a necessity?
    Its not an ipad size, so sadly most mags which are printed in A4 appear tiny.
    Its a pain sure, but heck I get my mags on my tablet that I can take anywhere and dont take up a stack of space at home.
    dimm0k likes this.
    03-20-12 08:30 AM
    I have been waiting ever since the purchase of my playbook for the zinio app, as this was one of the apps I frequently used on my android pad that I had before.

As happy as I am to finally use Zinio, I have several very annoying problems:

1) in 80% of all trys it does not connect or it looses connection! I have had wifi issues - that seem to get worse though- with other apps, but Zinio is the worst so far.

2) The scrolling and zooming in does not work well. Especially zooming in and trying to read something in the very left or right part of the page often causes the page to turn. They should implement multiple finger gestures: e.g. 2 fingers for page turns, 1 finger for moving around on a certain page.

3) I did not receive any 25USD voucher yet? Maybe it is for new customers only?

4) I remember from the android app that certain magazines offered a "read" mode, meaning that an article would be reformated to be able to read it better. I did not find that option in the blackberry app yet. Maybe I did not read the right magazin yet.
    Last edited by Palerider89; 03-20-12 at 09:18 AM.
    03-20-12 08:42 AM
    I installed it this morning & got an email from APP WORLD reminding me that Zinio was now available. I too was hoping for the $25 credit. I think it will be there soon enough...

I am glad that it has finally arrived.
    03-20-12 08:47 AM
    You realise the Playbook, being the size it is, wont display many magazines well and therefore zooming is a necessity?
    Its not an ipad size, so sadly most mags which are printed in A4 appear tiny.
    Its a pain sure, but heck I get my mags on my tablet that I can take anywhere and dont take up a stack of space at home.
    Yeah i realize that i was just hoping i wasnt going to zoom as much as i do. Im thinking this will change though as they update the app. I love having the ability to buy the magazines onto my PlayBook. I havent bought a magazine in a long time and since its so convenient ill be buying quite a few.
    03-20-12 08:50 AM
    This is not a true PlayBook app. Looks like Android modified to run on a PlayBook.

Very disappointing.

The PlayBook request form is still active.
    It is natively built, doesn't run through the Android app player.
    03-20-12 08:54 AM
    'Zinio for PlayBook is Now Here!

You asked for it and Zinio delivered! Visit BlackBerry App World and download the Zinio app today and choose from over 5,000 magazines in 33 different languages.

To celebrate our launch, we are offering the current issue of Elle and Esquire free of charge to all PlayBook users. Download the app and find them in your library!

Plus get a $5 credit when you register by March 31, 2012. (Credit will be sent via email within 48 hours of registering).

Discover new favorites and enjoy them anytime, anywhere right at your fingertips.

Download the app from BlackBerry App World >>

Have a great read!'

I base in UK, just received this email from Zinio, but when I log on to the app, i cannot find the free magazine no I don't know where the credits are. Any idea?
    I got the same email and signed up through their site instead of within the app and was able to get the free issue. They actually give you other options, not just Esquire or Elle.
    clem1604 likes this.
    03-20-12 08:56 AM
    Wanna penthouse,playboy and others
    03-20-12 08:58 AM
    I'm having trouble to read the magazines offline. did someone tryed to read any magazine with no wifi conection?

there are any way to fix it?
    03-20-12 08:58 AM
    I'm having trouble to read the magazines offline. did someone tryed to read any magazine with no wifi conection?

Has your magazine downloaded completely because you dont need to be online to read.

Also the email i received today says $5 credit. Whats going on here.
    03-20-12 09:08 AM

I tried to read offline this morning as well to no avail. I will try to see if there is a fix when I get the time.
    03-20-12 09:08 AM
    Has your magazine downloaded completely because you dont need to be online to read.

Also the email i received today says $5 credit. Whats going on here.
    I take back my critics that you have to be online. Apparently the magazine was not downloaded completely, despite the status bar telling me it was.
    03-20-12 09:17 AM
    I downloaded it on wifi this morning before I left home, but only signed in while on Bridge while at work. It let's me sign in but the only page that displays is the "About" screen. Will see at lunch when I have wifi back if I can download past or current Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, Popular Science or Popular Mechanics subs. I'm not too concerned about the free Girls Gone Wild ...
    03-20-12 09:20 AM
    So do you have to sign up through the actual web site to get the free magazines?
    03-20-12 09:21 AM
    the app could still do with a lot of optimization. zooming is still not smooth, and sometimes unpredictable. portrait mode especially, zooming thend to crop out certain parts of the magazine. perhaps because of the wide aspectratio on the playbook? hope they are working on an update.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-20-12 09:21 AM
    I dont care that it appears to be a "glorified" pdf reader, it can read and show the mags. Hopefully there will be some updates to improve useability, but I am not 100% sure what more people were expecting (aside from a couple bugs)?
    An Apple logo or Android logo somewhere?
    How about an app that, for once, is actually polished, non-buggy, and truly takes advantage of the power of the Playbook, i.e., an app that is optimized for the Playbook. It's great that I can finally read and show the mags - well at least those that the nannny state deem appropriate for tablet viewing - but there are a lot of little things in this app that get in the way for what should have been an enjoyable experience.

I can't say that I'm that surprised to be honest; as a RIM supporter, I'm used to getting the "poor mans version" when it comes to apps. Just once, I'd like that to change.
    harshalbid271, MrC05 and deemgee like this.
    03-20-12 09:25 AM
    Unless I missed it, I saw no notification when I purchased my magazine (Maxim) that it would not be available on the device I was purchasing it with. Seems pretty shady to me. If I'm traveling, and purchase some reading material using Zinio on my PlayBook, it's pretty annoying to find that I can't actually read it until I am sitting in front of my desktop back at home. This was an app that I have been waiting for, and looking forward to, for a long time. Big let down.

Now I want my money back on my purchase. I didn't buy it to sit in front of my home computer to read.
    03-20-12 09:41 AM
    Yes and due to Google's high moral standards (assumption) Zinio cannot allow adult material to be viewed. I just sent them an email about this and will report their response when I get it.
    03-20-12 09:54 AM
    its supossed to be full downloaded...when i go on line i can see the magazine...if i keep the magazine and turn off the wifi i can read the magazine..but if i close the app turn off the wifi i try to lad the magazine it's not working...so i think it's downloaded
    03-20-12 09:57 AM
    well i just restarted the playbook and now i can read the magazine offline... problem solved...
    03-20-12 09:58 AM
    Yes and due to Google's high moral standards (assumption) Zinio cannot allow adult material to be viewed. I just sent them an email about this and will report their response when I get it.
    But this is what I don't understand; this is not an android app therefore it should not be restricted to Google's censorship rules nor their moral superiority (that's laughable). As far as I'm concerned, if you decide to purchase a magazine, regardless of what it is, you should be able to read it at any of the platforms you chose. It is not up to Google nor Zinio nor RIM to decide what I or anyone else, as an adult, can read or put on our devices.
    03-20-12 10:18 AM
    Unless I missed it, I saw no notification when I purchased my magazine (Maxim) that it would not be available on the device I was purchasing it with. Seems pretty shady to me. If I'm traveling, and purchase some reading material using Zinio on my PlayBook, it's pretty annoying to find that I can't actually read it until I am sitting in front of my desktop back at home. This was an app that I have been waiting for, and looking forward to, for a long time. Big let down.

Now I want my money back on my purchase. I didn't buy it to sit in front of my home computer to read.
    That's exactly how I feel. I emailed them with my concerns about the same exact issue and am patiently awaiting a response. I don't even see the free magazine that the email stated I would have when I opened my app.
    03-20-12 10:20 AM
    First let me say that in another forum about Zinio I stated that I would gladly eat crow if Zinio actually delivered on their promise. I you know what I ate for breakfast this morning.

Now! After downloading the application I was all too excited, especially thinking that since it was in App World that it was a native application..NOPE!!! I found that even though it doesn't open in the android player, it's still an Android application. This I hope will answer some of the issues everyone's been stating.

I was wondering why the only 1 of the 4 subscriptions was showing after I signed in. I wanted my MAXIM magazine, Black Men, and even my PC Magazine. None of them would download. Then I went to the help section. When browsing through it, all it spoke about is what an "ANDROID" application can and cannot do do. One of the biggest things is:

Due to policies and restrictions placed on them by GOOGLE, they cannot allow the downloading of ADULT magazines (my MAXIM, and BLACK MEN Magazines). I tested it by subscribing to another adult magazine, rebooted my playbook and got the same result. It did not show. hmmm-hmmm (fake clearing of the throat) Android anyone? But what of my PC Magazine. I still haven't figured out the whole back issue thing. I paid for them, I want my subscriptions in my LONG AWAITED APPLICATION. I sent them an email.. the next step is a phone call.

I then decided to test the download speed and download a single issue of T3 Magazine. It went through with no issues. ( I really wanted WIRED magazine but that was $60.00 for a year).

I felt that once I got a digital magazine reader on my playbook, i would need no more apps, I would be completed. NOT!! Still left with a feeling of incompleteness. Now I have to switch between Kindle and Zinio.

First LinkedIn Disappointed me, then NETFLIX, now Zinio?

I'm hoping that there will be updates and improvements but I don't expect to be able to get my "ADULT" Magazines on it. Forget about getting them on Kindle. I can't even get the U.S. version of GQ Magazine???

That reminds me.. there are GQ and Wired Apps in the Amazon Android store; would any of you conversion GURU's be interested in converting them for Playbook???
    03-20-12 10:20 AM
    can't login in China..wtf, it seems zinio is blocked in China, my iphone version can't login as well..been waiting for this app but disappointed over access issue in China
    03-20-12 10:26 AM
447 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD