In case anyone is interested, Zinio released its information on what it will be doing for the Android platform and it is impressive to say the release. You can see what their plans are, including support for the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak, here Press Releases | Corporate | Zinio

I havent been able to find any information on the Corporate site that mentions the words Blackberry or Playbook sadly. But, if we get anything like the Android system, thats 20,000 magazines that consumers could purchase to read on the device which is simply sweet.

Looks like its time to send another message to let them know that there are Playbook users who are eager to have this app come out.
    The Zinio full suite of magazines is available to all Playbook users on the website. I use zinio.com everyday almost and the flash reader works well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 09:18 PM
    The Zinio full suite of magazines is available to all Playbook users on the website. I use zinio.com everyday almost and the flash reader works well.

Seriously? You can use the website to access your magazines and it is functionally, i.e., the flash player doesnt "jump around" or make it difficult to read your material? I was under the assumption that this was not possible or was barely functional.
    06-27-11 09:21 PM
    Seriously? You can use the website to access your magazines and it is functionally, i.e., the flash player doesnt "jump around" or make it difficult to read your material? I was under the assumption that this was not possible or was barely functional.
    Ever since the 1.0.6 update it works much better. its not ideal, and the zinio for Playbook app featured in that short video looks friggin sweet. but the website is usable since the latest flash/os update.

Last edited by sf18443; 06-27-11 at 09:43 PM.
    Darlaten and lawmom4 like this.
    06-27-11 09:32 PM
    The dearth of apps 2+ months out is really sucky.

If rim can't get native stuff out, how can they expect 3rd party to make anything good?

Losing patience here.
    06-28-11 12:02 PM
    Magazines are starting to trickle out, BUT we really do need to get this app out and Kindle (which has a mag store).
    stevedee likes this.
    06-28-11 12:32 PM
    With the news coming out today that, 1. The 10" Playbook prodcution has been halted in order to focus on the first QNX based Blackberry handset, and 2. That the 4G LTE Playbook has been accellerated to an October Launch, I sure hope we get a Native Developer's Kit (NDK) soon so we can get some really amazing apps. Bc without an NDK, no amazing or compelling apps will be available simply bc developer's are not able to leverage the shear power of the Playbook!

06-28-11 12:49 PM
    zinio.com works on playbook..i can open my library magazine and read it on playbook. it takes a while to get used to navigating using the browser but after some learning curve it gets the job done..pretty well with zooming capability like manipulating web page..downside is not offline browsing...it is not a elegant solution but at least it works while waiting for the proper zinio app..good stuff

kyopo likes this.
    06-29-11 06:27 AM
    Unfortunately we all still waiting on the app, but I was surprised to see the post that Zinio could be accessed from the browser since it didn't work for me. It turns out it does work via browser albeit slowly and not offline. The thumbnail magazine cover page for the library doesn't work for me because clicking on the thumbnails does nothing but changing to list view and clicking works. Page turning and zooming work well. Hopefully the actual app gets submitted soon.
    06-29-11 12:08 PM
    Good news, guys! I just received a survey from Zinio promising $5 in credit if I finished it, so I naturally opened it. And guess what one of the questions was!

06-29-11 10:43 PM
    Coool! When will they make the app?? After enough responses with a Playbook as a current device?

06-29-11 11:56 PM
    I say keep on emailing them and let them know of your interest in the app.
    06-30-11 12:05 AM
    Just sent them a mail with a request for Playbook-support

06-30-11 05:07 AM
    Using the browser kinda works but it's not the best. It takes a while before it settles into proper page view.

I've got nearly 2 months of magazines waiting on the PB app - just hate going back to the PC now lol. Hurry up, Zinio!
    07-09-11 04:49 PM
    Here's what I got back from them today...

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

The Zinio Reader is not currently compatible with the Blackberry PlayBook - although we are working now to expand the capabilities of the Zinio Reader to include more mobile devices.

Meanwhile, a few Flash compatible web browsers (Opera, SkyFire) will allow you to log in your account to read the publications available in your library.

We are working on the Zinio Reader app for several mobile devices, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience while we work out a way to support this device.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Andres Garcia
    Zinio Customer Support
    -------------
    I will respond to this and keep you all posted.
    J
    07-13-11 12:17 PM
    Here's what I got back from them today...

Dear Jason,

The Zinio Reader is not currently compatible with the Blackberry PlayBook - although we are working now to expand the capabilities of the Zinio Reader to include more mobile devices.

Meanwhile, a few Flash compatible web browsers (Opera, SkyFire) will allow you to log in your account to read the publications available in your library.

We are working on the Zinio Reader app for several mobile devices, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience while we work out a way to support this device.

Kind regards,

Andres Garcia
    Zinio Customer Support
    -------------
    I will respond to this and keep you all posted.
    J
    Sort of a generic reponse (evidenced by the listing of browsers incompatible with the playbook). We know they were/are making one for the Playbook, so why the secrecy I wonder.

07-13-11 02:58 PM
    Sort of a generic reponse (evidenced by the listing of browsers incompatible with the playbook). We know they were/are making one for the Playbook, so why the secrecy I wonder.

I know. Its like going to McDonalds, ordering a big mac and they say "sorry, we dont have any big macs at this time, but in the meantime, you can go to the bathroom and put paper towels in your mouth."
    pkcable likes this.
    07-13-11 09:00 PM

I wonder why they saw fit to indicate that Opera and Skyfire can use their website when your question was regarding the Playbook which does not have any other browser available to use.

This is definately a form letter whereby the words "Blackberry Playbook" could be substituted with any other product.

It's disappointing that Zinio hasn't released an app yet for the Playbook. I'm guessing that they either (i) gave up; (ii) are waiting for NDK or whatever other stuff that the developers need to make a proper app; or (iii) are in the process of determining if their Android app is successful and, if so, will either develop a Playbook version of the app or simply port over the Android version to the Playbook when android comes available.
    07-15-11 01:14 PM
    Just bouncing this to the top as a press release has come out by Zinio that is dated July 15th now includes the following phrase at the bottom: "...with a RIM app to launch imminently."

Not going to get too excited as it doesn't indicate if that is for the Playbook or for phones, but at least something is coming for RIM

Press Releases | Corporate | Zinio
    veldacy1 likes this.
    07-21-11 09:55 AM
    Just bouncing this to the top as a press release has come out by Zinio that is dated July 15th now includes the following phrase at the bottom: "...with a RIM app to launch imminently."

Not going to get too excited as it doesn't indicate if that is for the Playbook or for phones, but at least something is coming for RIM

Press Releases | Corporate | Zinio
    Hopefully the PB. The beautiful screen makes way more sence for a magazine. I think i would find it annoying on my bold..
    07-21-11 12:52 PM
    Imminently...I'm looking forward to a PlayBook Zinio app *crosses fingers*
    07-21-11 01:27 PM
    Just thought I'd update this thread as I emailed customer support yesterday to see if there was a status update on the Zinio app for the PlayBook. Here's the reply I received today (bolding is mine):

The online (web browser) version of the Zinio Reader is compatible on systems with Adobe Flash 9 or higher installed. Thus, your BlackBerry Playbook's browser should be able to visualize your publications. To access, go to Zinio and click "My Library" in the upper right.

The Zinio Reader app is not available yet for the Blackberry Playbook, although we are working now to expand the capabilities of the Zinio Reader to include this mobile devices, and will really soon be available.

Kind regards,

Zinio Customer Support
    PondHockey and RWD like this.
    08-18-11 10:24 AM
    Just thought I'd update this thread as I emailed customer support yesterday to see if there was a status update on the Zinio app for the PlayBook. Here's the reply I received today (bolding is mine):

The online (web browser) version of the Zinio Reader is compatible on systems with Adobe Flash 9 or higher installed. Thus, your BlackBerry Playbook's browser should be able to visualize your publications. To access, go to Zinio and click "My Library" in the upper right.

The Zinio Reader app is not available yet for the Blackberry Playbook, although we are working now to expand the capabilities of the Zinio Reader to include this mobile devices, and will really soon be available.

Kind regards,

Zinio Customer Support
    Excellent! Thanks for the update! I am excited about this app.

08-18-11 10:30 AM
    Well THAT is a MUCH more positive message than in the past!!!!!! I am very hopeful!
    08-18-11 10:38 AM
    Wonder if they are getting the "SHAPEdown" from RIM too on the approval!
    08-18-11 10:52 AM

Kind regards,

Zinio Customer Support
    Thanks for the follow up!
    08-18-11 11:01 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD