12-20-11 02:29 PM
80 123 ...
tools
    Zinio for those that don't know is a magazine app which allows you to subscribe to and read tons of magazines. I use Zinio on my PC and on my iPad but would love to use it on the Playbook. I wrote to Zinio asking about a Zinio app for the Playbook and their support group wrote back to say that their QA department is putting the finishing touches on their Playbook app and it should launch in early summer.
    05-15-11 02:07 PM
    that is good news. I didnt renew 4 magazines with them due to the lack of playbook support. i would love to have zino on pb.
    V3nom likes this.
    05-15-11 03:17 PM
    Here is the e-mail text:
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

Thanks! Our QA team is putting the final touches our our playbook app and we look forward to it being launched early this summer.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Kind regards,

[redacted]
    Zinio Customer Support
    [redacted]

PS.

If you're using our Reader 4 software for Mac, PC, or Linux, please take a moment to fill out this satisfaction survey. The data collected will be reviewed by the Reader Team to help us improve the design and functionality. Zinio hopes to provide the best reading experience possible, and your comments and suggestions will be extremely useful.

Thanks!

......Original Inquiry.......
    Zinio Account: [redacted]
    Contact Email:
    Sent: 5/14/2011

Summary: Blackberry Playbook Support
    Details:
    I was wondering if there will be a Blackberry Playbook app coming out for Zinio. Since the windows Reader app is already written in Adobe Air it seems like it should be an easy conversion since the PB support Air apps. I hope you guys choose to release a Playbook app.
    7thpandaren likes this.
    05-15-11 06:15 PM
    Zinio - and a true Twitter app - were the only reasons I was still using my iPad now and again, so I'm thrilled by this news. Thanks for emailing Zinio and for posting their reply here!!
    05-15-11 06:45 PM
    I just looked at the website - never heard of this program/service before now - and I am impressed. I am looking forward to this app getting released on the Playbook. The choice of magazines is impressive and this will definately add to the utility of my Playbook.
    05-28-11 10:05 PM
    Zinio is now available for Android according to Engadget. The Playbook will either be able to use the Android app or the Zinio for Playbook. The wait seems to be getting shorter.
    05-31-11 09:57 PM
    Great post, thanks OP. I can see some value with subscriptions on the go with the PB.
    05-31-11 11:30 PM
    Do you think this app will work in Canada when it becomes available?
    06-01-11 12:15 AM
    Zinio is available globally on the pc and ios devices so there is no real reason why it shouldn't be available in Canada when it eventually turns up.
    Snick Snack likes this.
    06-01-11 01:37 AM
    Cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'll look forward to this app.
    06-01-11 01:49 AM
    thanks for the heads up..i am a zinio fan, great to add it in playbook

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 06:43 AM
    Didn't know this software service but it looks promising, might get me to subscribe to something.
    06-01-11 07:22 AM
    It definitely will - I'm Canadian and I use this app on my iPad. It's a great app!
    06-01-11 08:23 AM
    This is great news. Im sure looks of sweet apps are coming. soon.
    06-01-11 12:11 PM
    Anyone have an update for this app.
    RWD likes this.
    06-08-11 10:09 AM
    We hear about apps being on the way then they just fall off the face of the earth

06-08-11 01:48 PM
    The black hole that developers can't control is the Blackberry approval process.

Regardless, their communication says they expect to finish by early summer. Summer starts end of June, if it is out by mid July, I figure that would be a reasonable expectation of "on-time".
    Last edited by BaconMunch; 06-08-11 at 03:18 PM.
    06-08-11 02:57 PM
    it would def b nice if developers were to allow us to download the bar files or even if we could somehow create another appstore like on the phones then we wouldnt have to wait for for the blackhole approval process (seems like more apps get lost then make it through).
    06-08-11 07:18 PM
    totally agree. didn't aMail just take this approach? I had read in the forums that they released a .bar file as a beta app...

06-09-11 01:32 AM
    well zinio got mentioned in the crackberry podcast that RIM reps are mentioning it during the playbook bus tour. unfortunately they have the same answer as us that it will be out soon.
    06-09-11 06:27 AM
    sooner rather than later would be nice. I need to renew 2 magazines and I dont want to get paper if i dont have to. Come on Zinio hurry up we want to spend money with you!
    06-09-11 07:53 AM
    Guys, the App obviously isnt ready. Everyone jumped on RIM when aMail wasnt getting approved and they finally released the .bar. Well we now know the app just wasnt ready.

Give them time. Hopefully they are working with RIM and using the NDK. Huge leap, but maybe thats whats taking the time.
    06-09-11 08:09 AM
    Looks like they're still at it though...
    ----------------------
    Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:21 PM
    To:
    Subject: RE: Zinio Case #

Thank you for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

We are developing an app for Playbook now. It should be coming soon!

Thanks for your interest.

Kind regards,

Zinio Customer Support
    Foreverup likes this.
    06-16-11 08:42 AM
    BTW Zinio posted a teaser video of their PlayBook app a month ago, though offered no details/explanation about it.

Here is a link to video: Teaser of Zinio for BlackBerry PlayBook | Will Robertson's Blog (video loads super slowly, so be patient)

Also on that blog post is an image that used to be on RIM's website before the PlayBook launched that shows Zinio's app. Looks like the app was supposed to be ready in time for PlayBook launch and was delayed.

Like others have mentioned, Zinio is the only reason I still use my iPad. Hope they get it out soon!
    06-16-11 10:31 AM
    In case anyone is interested, Zinio released its information on what it will be doing for the Android platform and it is impressive to say the release. You can see what their plans are, including support for the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak, here Press Releases | Corporate | Zinio

I havent been able to find any information on the Corporate site that mentions the words Blackberry or Playbook sadly. But, if we get anything like the Android system, thats 20,000 magazines that consumers could purchase to read on the device which is simply sweet.

Looks like its time to send another message to let them know that there are Playbook users who are eager to have this app come out.
    06-27-11 09:06 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD