Can anyone confirm how the converted Youtube App is...whether it be a Gingerbread version or Honeycomb/ICS version?

And can someone make a video sample of it?
    03-25-12 07:29 PM
    Why use a converted android app when there is a native YouTube app.
    03-25-12 07:37 PM
    Why use a converted android app when there is a native YouTube app.
    Because the native YouTube app doesn't allow you to see your subscriptions or favorites content. Although to the OP you cannot sign in with the converted application because it does not have the Google services framework needed to sign in.
    03-25-12 08:00 PM
    Lose and lose
    03-25-12 08:33 PM
    Ohhh ok so signing in is out...but how does the app look? Does it look exactly like the Youtube on ICS's & HOneycombs? or just Gingerbread/Froyo?
    03-25-12 09:00 PM
    Why use an app at all? This is a playbook lol you have FULL YouTube functionality with the browsers I wish I could delete the app myself lol waste of space imo..
    03-26-12 08:31 AM
    Ohhh ok so signing in is out...but how does the app look? Does it look exactly like the Youtube on ICS's & HOneycombs? or just Gingerbread/Froyo?
    The sideloaded Android Youtube app looks like the Android Froyo/Gingerbread version with a list of vids on the left side of the screen. Small thumbnails.

I've never used Honeycomb but did have Android ICS(CM9) on my Touchpad and the Youtube app was pretty slick.

You swype left and right as the previews scroll in a carousel. Really sweet looking.

It would be nice to have that UI on our Playbooks.

The thing about using the browser on our 7" tabs is that it is not as fluid as having a very nicely built native app. Unless you zoom in a bit to make sure you click on the correct links and zoom out again to scroll. There is just too much going on sometimes in desktop mode. Admit it or not.

Here is a look at the Android 3.0 and above native Youtube app for those wondering why the OP is asking.
    That is not what the sideloaded Android Youtube looks like.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amLCxSVzleE[/YT]
    Last edited by darktoy; 03-26-12 at 10:44 AM.
    03-26-12 10:41 AM

The sideloaded Youtube app on Playbook.
    03-26-12 11:00 AM
    Lol idk YouTube in the browser does all that my pc does.. Idk I admit nothing! Works fine for me and I have rather large fingers lol i always find apps for sites cut out to much content for my liking
    03-26-12 11:55 AM
    Lol idk YouTube in the browser does all that my pc does.. Idk I admit nothing! Works fine for me and I have rather large fingers lol i always find apps for sites cut out to much content for my liking
    That's the cool thing about a forum, different people with different opinions and in our case discussing our really cool Playbooks.

An example of why a native app would be nice is when you currently click on a YouTube video and it plays on the upper left hand side of the screen(desktop mode using the browser). In order to scroll through related videos or even the comments you have to scroll the entire page including the video taking if off the screen.

With a native app you should be able to be watching the video as you scroll through comments and related videos at the same time. Important information should be in panels with gesture based controls.
    03-26-12 12:13 PM
    That's the cool thing about a forum, different people with different opinions and in our case discussing our really cool Playbooks.

An example of why a native app would be nice is when you currently click on a YouTube video and it plays on the upper left hand side of the screen(desktop mode using the browser). In order to scroll through related videos or even the comments you have to scroll the entire page including the video taking if off the screen.

With a native app you should be able to be watching the video as you scroll through comments and related videos at the same time. Important information should be in panels with gesture based controls.
    Haha good point I can see what you mean there I never looked it it like that lol my brain is not able to multi task like that at all lol
    03-26-12 01:56 PM
    Thank u guys for providing this info for me.

I've been debating whether to root my newly purchased playbook just to have certain android apps or to just leave it alone?...maybe in the future someone could provide a native youtube app similar to the ics/honeycomb.

Thank you all!
    03-27-12 06:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD