The only thing that works is a boycott of the company. How many blackberry users have netflix at home? Cancel your account and hit them where it hurts!
    02-29-12 08:37 PM
    Amazon Prime FTW. No issue with it and I don't have to pay extra. Done with Netflix.
    Don't you still have to rent everything you watch?
    02-29-12 08:54 PM
    I don't want to beat a dead horse. But, I think this may help the cause.

I was thinking of organizing a spin off event off of this petition. We should hit Netflix where it hurts ($). We should set a date for a "Red" Friday, or weekend. BlackberrY users who have a Netflix account should cancel their subscription on the same day/weekend.

If you already cancelled, then re-subscribe just to add to the number of cancelled memberships on Red Friday.

If you have family members that will kill you for canceling netflix, just warn them ahead of time. Tell them it is only for one month to calm them down. Download some torrents of your favorite shows or movies to hold you over for the month.

If we can sacrifice one month of service in order to make a point, I think we can get their attention. Their shareholders will surely pressure them to support rim devices if we can make a big impact.

We can use the change.org site to get people to sign up for Red Friday, we set the date, and then all cancel together.

I think we can do this, and I think it would be the most effective manner of advancing our cause.

What do you guys think?
    yeah we need to set this up, but we have to have a sure set date.
    02-29-12 09:03 PM
    Don't you still have to rent everything you watch?
    A selection of videos are free with Amazon Prime -- you just have a much more limited selection compared to NetFlix.
    02-29-12 09:18 PM
    4691 signatures, let's get this thing to 5000 people. Come on.
    02-29-12 09:25 PM
    Signed. I sign petitions every day. I do have a blackberry.
    02-29-12 09:28 PM
    Signed! We're now up to 4884 as I write this. Yeah!
    03-01-12 02:37 AM
    75 away from 5000.......
    03-01-12 06:30 AM
    Oh and why petitions work best is because statistically companies view each one person that signs equal to about a hundred each. So 5k is equal to 500k......... That's slot lot of money.
    03-01-12 06:34 AM
    Oh and why petitions work best is because statistically companies view each one person that signs equal to about a hundred each. So 5k is equal to 500k......... That's slot lot of money.
    I would think that would be far less for the Playbook. Seeing as how 500k would represent 50% of playbook users. I could see maybe the 5k = 50k or 100k though.
    03-01-12 06:43 AM
    Signed, even though I don't like Netflix one bit... Anything to help the PB cause!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-01-12 08:20 AM
    @Netflixhelps - @jr4941 I hear huluplus is fastly becoming very relevant nowadays. #playbook - #netflixforplaybook
    03-01-12 08:51 AM
    Would be awesome if you didn't use change.org... hard to take something seriously if you're using a politically involved site to petition for non-biased corporate causes. I realize most petition sites will be used for poitical reasons, but most of them simply offer tools to create and sign peittions, and don't actively campaign for one side or the other.
    03-01-12 11:04 AM
    Would be awesome if you didn't use change.org... hard to take something seriously if you're using a politically involved site to petition for non-biased corporate causes. I realize most petition sites will be used for poitical reasons, but most of them simply offer tools to create and sign peittions, and don't actively campaign for one side or the other.
    I didn't make this petition I am just spreading the word!
    Don't kill the messenger!
    03-01-12 04:20 PM
    Well done r0v3rT3N I am all for grouping together to get our voice heard or even grouping together to buy an application. At least we are trying to support RIM. On my way to signup!
    03-01-12 05:17 PM
    Well done r0v3rT3N I am all for grouping together to get our voice heard or even grouping together to buy an application. At least we are trying to support RIM. On my way to signup!
    Thanks, hopefully we will get at least 10,000 signatures before it stops!
    03-01-12 05:40 PM
    signed - hopefully these ******* will wake up - oh and I also cancelled netflix.
    03-01-12 10:07 PM
    So, now that's we are @5K+ maybe putting all of our accounts on hold will be the next step to ratcheting up the pressure? They start losing revenue and we can choose to cancel at a later date.

We also need media coverage "Today, over 5000 Netflix subscribers put their accounts on hold indefinitely with a threat to cancel if Netflix does not provide access to their popular movie streaming service through Research in Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook..."

It'd be neat to hear that spoken in perfect broadcaster language ;-)

What do you think PCWhittle and Crackberry nation?

(Update: I put my account on hold for 90 days through the self service portal and then called NetFlix to let them know I would cancel after 90 days if I didn't hear a reversal in their plans to not support PlayBook.

I spoke to Karen and I was polite - she started off friendly but when I said that I was disappointed that there were no plans to build an app for the BlackBerry PlayBook and that I put my account on hold...the line went dead and I was transferred to the automated survey!

I called back and entered my service code and was automatically transferred go the survey queue without talking to anyone!

I called again without my service code and spoke to a great rep who was very kind and helpful. They took all the info down including being hung up on and told me they too own a playbook.

They suggested the more people that contact them, the more likely marketing will change their mind.

End of update)

PCWhittle contacted me and suggested that we look at his last petition update.

I agree to the crackberry nation folks (in contrast to just signing the petition)-- we need to show we are committed. This is why I think canceling, or putting your account on hold for 90 days to see what NetFlix marketing responds with is the way to go.
    Last edited by PB_Explorer; 03-01-12 at 11:02 PM.
    03-01-12 10:47 PM
    I would think that would be far less for the Playbook. Seeing as how 500k would represent 50% of playbook users. I could see maybe the 5k = 50k or 100k though.
    That acutally has nothign to do with product, it's statistics and buisness. Every buisness no matter the product views it that way.
    03-02-12 02:53 AM
    I've signed it and sent it also to all the people I know that has a PB.

Thanks for all the hard work, crossing my fingers!
    03-02-12 11:15 AM
    Just thought I would pass this on, noticed in today's local paper (RIM hometown of Waterloo Region) this petition was one of the headlines:

TheRecord - BlackBerry fans flock to petition to convince Netflix...

Keep the pressure on! These companies need to start listening to their users instead of forcing us to use what they feel is right.
    PB_Explorer likes this.
    03-02-12 02:47 PM
    Called netflix just now they said tell your friends to call in because the more calls we get the better he said also call blackberry. Because the more calls both companies get the better our chances of getting netflix. He stated that RIM has to create the app. And that the app on iPhones and IPads are made by Apple was his example as to why RIM need to be called also so both companies come together to work.
    03-02-12 03:04 PM
    Actually if you check the ***** App Store it lists the developer of the Netflix app as Netflix Inc. Seller: Netflix. Doesn't seem to be developed by CRAPple.
    03-02-12 03:08 PM
    Called netflix just now they said tell your friends to call in because the more calls we get the better he said also call blackberry. Because the more calls both companies get the better our chances of getting netflix. He stated that RIM has to create the app. And that the app on iPhones and IPads are made by Apple was his example as to why RIM need to be called also so both companies come together to work.
    Yes, that is what the Netflix Rep told me. Specifically he said (close to the effect):
    "Netflix Agent: I was so excited when I heard RIM and NETFLIX were negotiating to have a NetFlix App created. I was devastated when I heard talks broke down. The RIM developers actually create the APP and I guess they were having trouble...."

I didn't know enough about the "official" app processes (still don't ) so I didn't include it in my initial post. However, now that I see someone else saying it, I am posting in support of what he has said and I heard.
    Last edited by PB_Explorer; 03-02-12 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spellin! ;-)
    03-02-12 05:05 PM
    Yes, that is what the Netflix Rep told me. Specifically he said (close to the effect):
    "Netflix Agent: I was so excited when I heard RIM and NETFLIX were negotiating to have a NetFlix App created. I was devastated when I heard talks broke down. The RIM developers actually create the APP and I guess they were having trouble...."

I didn't know enough about the "official" app processes (still don't ) so I didn't include it in my initial post. However, now that I see someone else saying it, I am posting in support of what he has said and I heard.
    This is interesting...
    03-02-12 10:24 PM
116 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD