This post doesn't make any sense? Most apps rely on being on the web, no? As for the cloud, has it escaped your attention that tablets in general do not come in bigger than 64 gigs of memory? Cloud gives you virtually unlimited memory.

The Bridge app has improved so much that now I can access my Cloud memory on it on the go without any extra monthly fees. I would not be able to do that on any other tablet using my Blackberry's data plan.

As for games, I know there are some the Playbook doesn't have like the new drawing games, but many very popular games, Angry Birds, Spiderman, Plants vs. Zombies, Cut the Rope, etc. are on the Playbook as apps.

As for going camping? I dunno why if you go camping any tech device is a priority? Isn't the point of camping to get away from it all? Guess what, if are soooo out there that you can't get the web, that is not the problem with the Blackberry, the Playbook, or any other mobile device, that comes with camping out in the middle of nowhere.
    Obviously needs differ. I don't want access to everything all of the time. But you tell me that you want every book you want to read out-there and that you need the web to read/retrieve it.

Right - the games are there. THEY ARE APPS. That was what I was saying. Folks want the app ON THE PB. They do not want to fire up the web to play.

And I just threw the camping into the mix. My pb did not go to the Sierra this summer. But my Kindle3 (a rather dedicated READER APP) did. Books galore. Right there on the device. I did not need the web or wifi. And it even had a game or two and a notepad (wrote my hike descriptions). No web - apps.

Somehow there is this terrific notion that all one needs is a good browser and apps are meaningless. I happen to disagree. Besides the fact that while the pb's browser is nice - it is not perfect by any means. Besides the bookmark limitations, I still canNOT search on a webpage.

Again, different users, different needs, wants and desires. But this concept that the generic user does not need apps is hogwash.

I won't argue - bridge is terrific. Figure out a way to sell it in a 30 second spot.

I agree Rim needs an ad campaign but I don't think this one is IT.

You asked in another reply: "I mean do you guys run icon based apps on your desktop or laptop too?"

While I tend to call them programs on my computer, tons of "APPS" for photo editing and viewing. For creating dvd movies of those photos. For playing music and watching videos. For composing notes, work reports, edit web pages. I'm using a program, Firefox, to read CB forums. I use Calibre to convert books. I use Garmin mapsource to review my hikes and plan new ones. Those are program/apps. Yes, I definitely supplement various of these functions with meanders out on the world-wide-web but I definitely still use things on my computer. And while some folks have superfast connections to that web, I tried uploading a folder of photos to the cloud. Two hours to upload 25-30 pictures. You know, I don't need them there (and do pray there ain't no fire here).
    Last edited by F2; 03-16-12 at 09:45 PM.
    03-16-12 09:35 PM
    Personally, I have little need for apps because I simply go to the web site I need and do my business directly thru the browser. Banking, online shopping, paying bills or other account activities, Facebook, Twitter, news sites, YouTube, etc are a snap thru the browser so no app needed.

As a result, I've been thinking RIM could adopt the slogan You Don't Need An App For That.
    I 'sold' a guy at work saying this exact same thing .. now he is proud owner of PB
    03-16-12 09:39 PM
    Yes! I see it now:

"With RIM, you don't need apps!"

(but if you really, really do, we have the Android Player for that!)

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    03-16-12 09:53 PM
    Apps 90% of the time: sheepfood
    03-16-12 10:01 PM
    That isthe exactly problem for PB now. People just position pb as a browser and nothing else. Then how much you want to pay for a browser and why you want to buy just a browser? You want your tablet has far broader usage.not because you cannot find wifi everywhere but also you simply cannot play tomcat onlineit just reminds me ipad users always say they don't need flash
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-16-12 10:03 PM
    RIM's new ad slogan, "In a world dominated by silly apps, and apps that just make your device simply function, PlayBook proves that less is really more. PlayBook, it just works right out of the box, and no apps needed."
    03-16-12 10:13 PM
    It would have been a great slogan pre iphone age (or before iPhone become an age). Now is too late. Having apps is cool, no apps is, well, RIM. Unfortunately the public doesn't really care what you can do in your way, they care if you can do in Apple's way.
    03-16-12 10:40 PM
    I don't need apps, then again I don't need a tablet either but I enjoy having one and have found good uses for it.
    The problem I see here is that whenever someone starts one of these 'PB doesn't need apps' threads they are usually basing their opinion on the notion that all apps are strictly for creating a streamlined version of a typically complex website. I would argue that most apps have nothing to do with the internet other than the moment you download them. I could be wrong.
    I don't use very many downloaded apps. Of the ones I have, 16 are what I would call 'standalone'. They are not for internet use and they do not require a wifi connection.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-16-12 10:48 PM
    RIM's new ad slogan, "In a world dominated by silly apps, and apps that just make your device simply function, PlayBook proves that less is really more. PlayBook, it just works right out of the box**, and no apps needed."
    ** wifi absolutely needed to initialize it - not included!
    03-16-12 11:18 PM
    You mean the Playbook browser that can't view any Silverlight sites and does not have apps to make up the difference. Perhaps you mean the Playbook browser that types text backwards in Skydrive Office web apps. Alternatively you might mean the Playbook browser for which there is a multi page long list of incompatible sites on Blackberry's own forum. Maybe it is the Playbook browser that no longer works on ABC or on parts of Amazon Prime. I am glad it works for you but it sure isn't a solution for everyone. The Playbook is in need of apps to fill the gap as any other device.

BTW, one reason why I doubt you would ever see such a campaign is that it is awfully close to Google/Verizon's original Droid does marketing.
    03-16-12 11:38 PM
    What are these phantom apps that you speak of? We all know about Netflix, Hulu, Kindle, and Skype, some big ones, but overall once you get past those major ones, most apps are unnecessary if you have a capable browser and the ability to bookmark the sites.
    Unnecessary for you. No need to generalize. If the lack of the "phantom apps" that are standard on other platforms is not enough for you, I invite you to go over the top apps lists in Google Play, and you'll see a lot of great apps that are not in App World. Lots of productivity apps (different flavors of Office suite for instance), specialized apps, etc. And as far as I can tell, people still use them and buy and download by thousands or even millions of copies. There must be some value added from those apps over the web, right? Again, note that Android browsers are at least as capable as the one on the PB. And speaking of bookmarks, you actually can organize them in Android.

This is a Blackberry site, so Bridge is a big deal for the Playbook. I know many Android phones have workarounds to data share for free via rooting and some creative apps, some phones its works better than others and some brick when you try it. Bridge is universal to BB's that have OS 5.0 and above, you know made int the last 4 years?
    Don't care. I am happy with my Android phone. I don't believe in tablet + phone, microwave + fridge, car + motorcycle bundles. I don't want to buy a certain phone just because I happen to have a particular tablet. Plus, as far as I can tell, it's the very reliance on the Bridge that made the Playbook so unsuccessful.

Edit: I agree, for those with Blackberries, the Playbook is an ideal tablet.

I dunno, many are downplaying the free data sharing with a Blackberry via bridge everywhere with no extra monthly fees and just how good the browser is. I mean do you guys run icon based apps on your desktop or laptop too? Of course not, so why is it necessary for your tablet when you can do the same as your computer and get ready for this.... BOOKMARK IT!
    Do you check your email via Bridge email (which is an app) or do you run icon based email in your Playbook browser? I am pretty sure it's the former. Why would that be?

As for running things in a browser, let me repeat web=/=apps. At least, not on a 7-inch touch controlled device.

As for free data, nobody's downplaying it. It's great. But you yourself pointed out that it's as free as, for instance, on Android devices with solutions like PDANet Tablet.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-17-12 at 12:37 AM.
    03-16-12 11:43 PM
    RIM's new ad slogan, "In a world dominated by silly apps, and apps that just make your device simply function, PlayBook proves that less is really more. PlayBook, it just works right out of the box, and no apps needed."
    lol, too bad that's not really the case.
    03-17-12 12:08 AM
    Well technically the music player camera mail bridge all are apps right? Just that you need some and others are not required ..

I've security wiped bout a week back and since then not even launched appworld once.. But not that I wouldn't login if there's something I need..
    03-17-12 01:59 AM
    RIM is on the right path with their approach to apps. The requirement for apps is way overstated but thats no surprise when thats the competitions advantage over RIM. It's also no surprise that we are constantly reminded of particular apps that are missing from the PB and that some companies are encouraging an closed approach to content as their means to differentiating their products. When you hear Alex Saunders talk hes definitely pro-apps and it working hard push RIM in the right direction. I'm looking forward to what RIM produces.
    03-17-12 03:10 AM
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that none of RIM's phones support Flash, and a campaign such as this would point out the inconsistency in RIM's lineup.

The whole idea works better if you're telling people you have apps but they won't need them. When people know you don't have the apps they expect they then expect you to say they aren't needed.
    I doubt BB10 will have flash. Since Abode stated they won't be supporting flash going forward. I took ICS over a month to get it and adobe said at the time it was the last OS to receive it.

Let's hope QNX and BB10 are the exact same browser or their won't be any flash for sure.
    03-17-12 04:08 AM
    I doubt BB10 will have flash. Since Abode stated they won't be supporting flash going forward. I took ICS over a month to get it and adobe said at the time it was the last OS to receive it.

Let's hope QNX and BB10 are the exact same browser or their won't be any flash for sure.
    Adobe stated they will no longer support mobile flash.
    03-17-12 05:41 AM
    Oh lawd, is this national bait a troll day?
    Ha ha, no, but today is St Patrick's day...shall I start a thread for that?
    03-17-12 06:00 AM
    Adobe stated they will no longer support mobile flash.
    Yes they did and RIM also stated they will.

Yes apps are wanted and needed. Just not the the ones that don't do anything you can also do in a good browser.

You all do know those type of apps came along because of phones screen size. Don't seem to be needed for a tablet. I think crackberry views just the same as it does on a pc with no loss of function.
    03-17-12 06:36 AM
    I see that all the usual suspects have chimed in. . That said, and while openly admitting that I am not, nor do I have a background in advertising, I think it would be a mistake for RIM to launch any "counter apps" sort of ad campaign. First, of course, is the fact that the PB does use apps in some key areas of operation, and I just feel that an ad campaign should focus on positives.

I don't have the magic formula for what an effective ad campaign should look like, but any time a product advertises by countering another product's ad slogan, it runs the very real risk of providing advertising for the other product. I don't think that's what any advertiser wants to do.

I could be wrong about that, of course. It wouldn't be the first time.
    alnamvet68 and malcerie like this.
    03-17-12 07:06 AM
    Yeah I love going to the Netflix site and watching movies
    03-17-12 07:19 AM
    Apps are just better suited to some purposes. For example, the Bank of America is awesome! I use it on my BlackBerry and did on my Android. Accessing the BOA site using the PlayBook just doesn't work well. It's slow, doesn't load content completely and often force closes the browser. So, I use the app on my phone instead.

There's a few sites that don't run well on the PlayBook that I would like an app. Apps are great for fast use, cutting out all the flash and graphics and fluff.

What about to geocaching? For navigation, reading books, etc. Those aren't things available on web sites.

As for apps on a PC? Aren't all my programs apps? I have Microsoft Streets and Trips, Games, file converter, Microsoft Office programs...they're all just apps that don't need the internet (I don't have home internet).

So, no, that's not a good idea for an ad. Apps are a good addition to a good web browser.

We need more apps.
    malcerie likes this.
    03-17-12 07:19 AM
    I see that all the usual suspects have chimed in. . That said, and while openly admitting that I am not, nor do I have a background in advertising, I think it would be a mistake for RIM to launch any "counter apps" sort of ad campaign. First, of course, is the fact that the PB does use apps in some key areas of operation, and I just feel that an ad campaign should focus on positives.

I don't have the magic formula for what an effective ad campaign should look like, but any time a product advertises by countering another product's ad slogan, it runs the very real risk of providing advertising for the other product. I don't think that's what any advertiser wants to do.

I could be wrong about that, of course. It wouldn't be the first time.
    No you're not wrong. You're just taking a very novel approach to this issue about apps...you're making an unbiased and clear headed response to an otherwise meaningless, useless, and contentious thread. The only reason we have these repetitive threads is to attract the usual suspects who love to have a platform where they can marginalize the PlayBook every chance they get.

No offense intended OP.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 03-17-12 at 07:27 AM.
    malcerie likes this.
    03-17-12 07:22 AM
    Unnecessary for you. No need to generalize. If the lack of the "phantom apps" that are standard on other platforms is not enough for you, I invite you to go over the top apps lists in Google Play, and you'll see a lot of great apps that are not in App World. Lots of productivity apps (different flavors of Office suite for instance), specialized apps, etc. And as far as I can tell, people still use them and buy and download by thousands or even millions of copies. There must be some value added from those apps over the web, right? Again, note that Android browsers are at least as capable as the one on the PB. And speaking of bookmarks, you actually can organize them in Android.

Don't care. I am happy with my Android phone. I don't believe in tablet + phone, microwave + fridge, car + motorcycle bundles. I don't want to buy a certain phone just because I happen to have a particular tablet. Plus, as far as I can tell, it's the very reliance on the Bridge that made the Playbook so unsuccessful.

Edit: I agree, for those with Blackberries, the Playbook is an ideal tablet.

Do you check your email via Bridge email (which is an app) or do you run icon based email in your Playbook browser? I am pretty sure it's the former. Why would that be?

As for running things in a browser, let me repeat web=/=apps. At least, not on a 7-inch touch controlled device.

As for free data, nobody's downplaying it. It's great. But you yourself pointed out that it's as free as, for instance, on Android devices with solutions like PDANet Tablet.
    You don't believe in tablet+phone? How do you get data on your tablet on the go? Buy its own dedicated data plan? Face it, tablet+phone is the most practical way to have data on the go. I see too many people buy into the iPad hype only to leave their tablets at home since a tablet with no data is like a big brick to carry around. Then why buy a tablet if its not fully portable? Android phones have tricks to "root" or some workaround apps to tether or hotspot off your phone's data plan. Blackberry has a tether app for laptops, but no hotspot app I am aware of to workaround extra monthly fees with American carriers. So Bridge is a godsend paired with a Playbook.

As for icons, I wasn't saying I didn't use them, just saying not every function on a tablet or phone or a computer has to look like an icon to work. Its just like telling everyone, you must accept the Apple way or the highway! I use icons for all sorts of things, but websites I can bookmark, they don't each need an individual icon on my home screen or a dedicated app. Different strokes for different folks, I guess?
    03-17-12 07:43 AM
    Apps are just better suited to some purposes. For example, the Bank of America is awesome! I use it on my BlackBerry and did on my Android. Accessing the BOA site using the PlayBook just doesn't work well. It's slow, doesn't load content completely and often force closes the browser. So, I use the app on my phone instead.

There's a few sites that don't run well on the PlayBook that I would like an app. Apps are great for fast use, cutting out all the flash and graphics and fluff.

What about to geocaching? For navigation, reading books, etc. Those aren't things available on web sites.

As for apps on a PC? Aren't all my programs apps? I have Microsoft Streets and Trips, Games, file converter, Microsoft Office programs...they're all just apps that don't need the internet (I don't have home internet).

So, no, that's not a good idea for an ad. Apps are a good addition to a good web browser.

We need more apps.
    You do know there is an option on the Playbook to turn off flash and enable mobile sites, right? Some sites on a smaller tablet screen are better suited for the mobile site, but most look and run just fine on the PLaybook. So once again, what is being mentioned as a weakness is basically a non-issue for most functions on a Playbook.

And you don't have home internet? What do you live under a rock? No offense, but if the Playbook is a WiFi only device or one that could be tethered, hotspotted, or bridged to a phone, you must be in someone else's wifi connection all the time or are completely reliant on a phone data plan to use a Playbook...
    03-17-12 07:48 AM
    You mean the Playbook browser that can't view any Silverlight sites and does not have apps to make up the difference. Perhaps you mean the Playbook browser that types text backwards in Skydrive Office web apps. Alternatively you might mean the Playbook browser for which there is a multi page long list of incompatible sites on Blackberry's own forum. Maybe it is the Playbook browser that no longer works on ABC or on parts of Amazon Prime. I am glad it works for you but it sure isn't a solution for everyone. The Playbook is in need of apps to fill the gap as any other device.

BTW, one reason why I doubt you would ever see such a campaign is that it is awfully close to Google/Verizon's original Droid does marketing.
    Much of what you are saying I agree with, but these boards have beaten the Netflix Silverlight support/app forever. We all get that. Overall though, even if the Playbook didn't have a single app other than Bridge, it would still be a very functional tablet on the strength of its browser and bridge data sharing everywhere.

With the latest Bridge update I can even use Amazon Cloud Player on the go. So my 16 gig PB has all the Cloud memory I could ever want whenever I want it off of the Amazon website. No app needed, it work and it works on the go without an extra dedicated data plan? Yup. Score.

I agree they did basically try that campaign with Droid, but it was a success in that you still see them say "Droid does" and have robots fighting or moving or whatever. They are up to Droid 4 and Motorola still manufacturers smartphones using Android in a partnership with Google. Its not like it failed. But if you are saying the Android phones overall did adopt an Apple style in apps, yeah, they all did, even RIM.
    03-17-12 07:54 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD