Personally, I have little need for apps because I simply go to the web site I need and do my business directly thru the browser. Banking, online shopping, paying bills or other account activities, Facebook, Twitter, news sites, YouTube, etc are a snap thru the browser so no app needed.

As a result, I've been thinking RIM could adopt the slogan You Don't Need An App For That.
    DavidRupa, leedium, CDM76 and 8 others like this.
    03-16-12 05:46 PM
    Yeah that should work.
    Mystic205, Rello and VanCity778 like this.
    03-16-12 05:47 PM
    Oh lawd, is this national bait a troll day?
    03-16-12 05:50 PM
    Personally, I have little need for apps because I simply go to the web site I need and do my business directly thru the browser. Banking, online shopping, paying bills or other account activities, Facebook, Twitter, news sites, YouTube, etc are a snap thru the browser so no app needed.
    Exactly.... Bingo!
    03-16-12 05:51 PM
    IPad - There's an app for that.

Android - Hey, were did you get that app?

PlayBook - Apps? We don't need no stinking apps!
    03-16-12 05:58 PM
    And then you wonder why developers are staying away from the Playbook in droves?
    ambarmetta and bjw408h like this.
    03-16-12 06:18 PM
    Before that happens, RIM better update their stock browser. So we can at least organize our bookmarks, like arrange them and create folders.
    03-16-12 06:30 PM
    Lol that's a great slogan, I just don't think it would gel well with devs! But it really is something to ponder upon..
    03-16-12 06:53 PM
    Before that happens, RIM better update their stock browser. So we can at least organize our bookmarks, like arrange them and create folders.
    I just add the bookmarks to the home screen and organize in folders on a separate pane. Not ideal but works well. Most times its the same number of "finger actions".
    03-16-12 07:01 PM
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that none of RIM's phones support Flash, and a campaign such as this would point out the inconsistency in RIM's lineup.

The whole idea works better if you're telling people you have apps but they won't need them. When people know you don't have the apps they expect they then expect you to say they aren't needed.
    03-16-12 07:10 PM
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. I also have all of my bookmarks in folders on the home screen.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-16-12 07:33 PM
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that none of RIM's phones support Flash, and a campaign such as this would point out the inconsistency in RIM's lineup.

The whole idea works better if you're telling people you have apps but they won't need them. When people know you don't have the apps they expect they then expect you to say they aren't needed.
    I agree with your first sentence, but I would have to imagine the BB10 phones will run flash and real websites, so in a few months the campaign would be consistent... BUT Adobe is expected to soon embrace HTML5 and has already ended flash support for mobile devices.

As for apps, I think the Playbook is lacking there, but due to the fact that it can run almost any site it is nowhere near the weakness many make it out to be. The OS is simply the best I have used in a mobile device at its current 2.0 version, the added remote control, qwerty keyboard on a BB, and improved faster data sharing which is still free, I have to wonder why anyone with a BB phone would ever consider buying an iPad?
    03-16-12 07:33 PM
    Playbook : no apps, just the browser. Terrific ad.

Oh lawd, is this national bait a troll day?

Yep. I think so. Or I hope so...
    03-16-12 07:40 PM
    Playbook does have apps, just not all of them. Also I like the browser real website Youtube over the Playbook app. We all know certain popular media apps like Hulu+, Netflix, and Kindle do not work and have no support. I think RIM has their head in the sand about those, that is the only case another tablet user would have over choosing it over a Playbook.

Playbook has Bridge which is downplayed my the tech media, but I know where I live in the USA, tethering and hotspot services in phones are expensive additional monthly costs, bridge eliminates all of that. Anyone with a Blackberry who does not not choose a Playbook as their tablet should have their head examined or maybe someone at RIM's marketing team needs to get smacked for not better exposing the advantages of bridge...
    ELavar likes this.
    03-16-12 07:48 PM
    I'm a big fan of not using an app where it's unnecessary, and the PB having a browser that works is huge...but there's also the situation where some sites are specifically boxing you in to having to get an app.

I just checked Pandora today on my PB and it wouldn't work in the browser, pulled it up in Firefox and it worked fine, took a look at the site code and saw an interesting tidbit in the javascript: "notouch". Meaning, touch browsers have been essentially blocked out from their web version.

Apps can mean revenue and that's fine, but that seems a bit underhanded to me...especially considering that such a move could only be a direct stab at the PB community in particular, and also at the concept of avoiding app dependence in general.

Aaaaand I'm pretty leery of slogans from CB or RIM at this point. *facepalm*
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-16-12 07:51 PM
    Funny, everytime I hear the odious phrase "there's an app for that!" I correct it to "there's a charge for that"
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-16-12 07:53 PM
    I think it is a noble concept but that's about all. A concept.

Kindle - an app is needed (especially if what I've read about the cloud lately is true).

Kobo - an app.

I don't want to play games connected to the web. I don't want to write docs connected to the web.

I don't want to rely on THE CLOUD.

When I'm lying in my tent in the High Sierra, even car camping I do not want the WEB (I can't even get the web) or the BROWSER. I WANT THE APP.

So reality bites but apps are necessary.
    kennyliu and speedypear like this.
    03-16-12 08:07 PM
    The only problem with website is that they are not designed for touch usage and might be too complicated.

- Charles
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-16-12 08:10 PM
    I agree with you but can we not and say we did cause RIM is still digging out of a hole or should I say apple patch right now. The public in general likes to have apps to do everything no matter how simple or basic the task. With that said we need to give the public what it wants because there is going to be another version of ipad coming out and another 100 million mindless app driven people who want it. We need to get an app to get them to buy BlackBerry before the money dries up at RIM and we have no more PlayBook.
    03-16-12 08:19 PM
    I just add the bookmarks to the home screen and organize in folders on a separate pane. Not ideal but works well. Most times its the same number of "finger actions".
    I do the same. You can actually order them in a folder and it all works great for me!

Hey, i say devs could give like advanced apps on the pb, right i don t need an app for checking time or fb chat but i would love a great professional grade stats app locally stored or any other powerful 1st grade app, so the slogan. Could be:

I dont need a (fart)app for that, i would dam sure pay for a professional app.

Ps: thanks to all devs who put a real effort for quality apps on the pb!
    !!!
    malcerie likes this.
    03-16-12 08:28 PM
    So how exactly will the "You Don't Need an App" slogan differentiate the Playbook from Android devices? The latter have browsers that are at least as good as the PB's browser. On top of the capable browsers, Android has many great apps that the PB doesn't.

And web =/= apps.
    03-16-12 08:39 PM
    I think it is a noble concept but that's about all. A concept.

Kindle - an app is needed (especially if what I've read about the cloud lately is true).

Kobo - an app.

I don't want to play games connected to the web. I don't want to write docs connected to the web.

I don't want to rely on THE CLOUD.

When I'm lying in my tent in the High Sierra, even car camping I do not want the WEB (I can't even get the web) or the BROWSER. I WANT THE APP.

So reality bites but apps are necessary.
    This post doesn't make any sense? Most apps rely on being on the web, no? As for the cloud, has it escaped your attention that tablets in general do not come in bigger than 64 gigs of memory? Cloud gives you virtually unlimited memory.

The Bridge app has improved so much that now I can access my Cloud memory on it on the go without any extra monthly fees. I would not be able to do that on any other tablet using my Blackberry's data plan.

As for games, I know there are some the Playbook doesn't have like the new drawing games, but many very popular games, Angry Birds, Spiderman, Plants vs. Zombies, Cut the Rope, etc. are on the Playbook as apps.

As for going camping? I dunno why if you go camping any tech device is a priority? Isn't the point of camping to get away from it all? Guess what, if are soooo out there that you can't get the web, that is not the problem with the Blackberry, the Playbook, or any other mobile device, that comes with camping out in the middle of nowhere.
    03-16-12 08:42 PM
    So how exactly will the "You Don't Need an App" slogan differentiate the Playbook from Android devices? The latter have browsers that are at least as good as the PB's browser. On top of the capable browsers, Android has many great apps that the PB doesn't.

And web =/= apps.
    What are these phantom apps that you speak of? We all know about Netflix, Hulu, Kindle, and Skype, some big ones, but overall once you get past those major ones, most apps are unnecessary if you have a capable browser and the ability to bookmark the sites.

This is a Blackberry site, so Bridge is a big deal for the Playbook. I know many Android phones have workarounds to data share for free via rooting and some creative apps, some phones its works better than others and some brick when you try it. Bridge is universal to BB's that have OS 5.0 and above, you know made int the last 4 years?

I dunno, many are downplaying the free data sharing with a Blackberry via bridge everywhere with no extra monthly fees and just how good the browser is. I mean do you guys run icon based apps on your desktop or laptop too? Of course not, so why is it necessary for your tablet when you can do the same as your computer and get ready for this.... BOOKMARK IT!
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-16-12 08:49 PM
    As for going camping? I dunno why if you go camping any tech device is a priority? Isn't the point of camping to get away from it all? Guess what, if are soooo out there that you can't get the web, that is not the problem with the Blackberry, the Playbook, or any other mobile device, that comes with camping out in the middle of nowhere.
    Astronomy apps give good results in the middle of nowhere. Especially if you have a really, really, really long cord (or a nearby automobile) for your charger.
    malcerie likes this.
    03-16-12 08:51 PM
    Astronomy apps give good results in the middle of nowhere. Especially if you have a really, really, really long cord (or a nearby automobile) for your charger.
    Or a sun collector panel for ecological charge. That way you charge during daytime and drain your battery with your astronomy app at night

Love the astronomy apps!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-16-12 08:56 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD