Ok - now that I have your attention please indulge a Noob.
    Firstly I have been lurking since I got my PB in Jan, picking up tips and tricks etc. I cannot get over how helpful and knowledgeable the experts on here are, even when answering the same simple queries over and over (and over...). Kudos to you! (and no - I am not trying to butter you guys up to do me a favour!)
    I have even followed the amazingly straightforward instructions for sideloading Kindle! Me...alone...it's a MIRACLE, I tell ya!
    Anyway, I have seen how the head-shed guys are converting Android to .bar files with amazing ease (well they make it look pretty easy). So here's my question; If it is relatively easy/ quick, why would a company chose NOT to do it themselves? Serious question, albeit maybe I am just being naive. I am sure some apps are very complex but surely they can't all be that complicated. For example why would V Pro (paid golf swing app) say they don't have the resources? (see another thread today). Are we talking $ or $$$$ in delevoper time? Also why wouldn't one of the smart guys on here go to, for example, V Pro and say I can do this and it will cost you $500 or $0.25 per download? Or both? Or am I being naive again?
    BTW, thanks again to all of you guys who give so freely and generously of your time.
    PS If I discovered my IT guys being so helpful on forums during work hours I would be FURIOUS...but that's the kind of double-standards guy I am
    02-29-12 05:11 AM
    good question. I was wondering about it too. Maybe it has something to with supporting the apps after converting it to work on playbook. That will need resources. Also they have to keep updating
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-29-12 05:59 AM
    First of all, thanks for the complements!

1) Why would a company chose NOT to do it themselves?
    Companies think developing for BlackBerry is a waste of time and resources, however they are wrong...

2) Are we talking $ or $$$$ in delevoper time?
    NO, with the amount of time it takes with the tools BlackBerry provided, it doesn't take very long...

Hope this helps your understanding...
    kbz1960 and peter9477 like this.
    02-29-12 06:33 AM
    There are some Android APIs that are not supported, so it's not that easy for every app to be converted and still work correctly.

Two, for developers its not a matter of just throwing the app into the store, you have to support and maintain it as well. That version becomes part of your test and release process, etc. That can be a non-trivial cost that may or may not be worthwhile for such a small audience.
    peter9477 and NightSprinter like this.
    02-29-12 06:39 AM
    There are some Android APIs that are not supported, so it's not that easy for every app to be converted and still work correctly.

Two, for developers its not a matter of just throwing the app into the store, you have to support and maintain it as well. That version becomes part of your test and release process, etc. That can be a non-trivial cost that may or may not be worthwhile for such a small audience.
    This is also correct!
    02-29-12 06:44 AM
    Conversion doesn't take long, I'd say it's the testing and ensuring there are no bugs arising from the conversion that makes it not worthwhile in the eyes of companies. They see BB as an unprofitable platform due to relatively small user base compared with iOS and Android. And the testing doesn't just happen once - it needs to happen with every update, and the BB app would have to be kept fairly close to the Android version in the release cycle, or BB users would complain. Which brings me to my final point - it also adds a new set of users to deal with a support. They have to monitor bug reports etc. for an additional platform, as well as maintaining their existing level of support for current platforms.

These are just some of the reasons I guess. I'm not really much of a developer, so I don't know if there's more to it than that.

As for getting someone from here to convert and post it on AppWorld for a small fee from original dev - nice idea, but the problem there is that most companies won't want to be associated in any way with a potentially inferior product. So if the person doing the conversion was to, for example, convert one version and abandon it, or convert a version, not test it and release it with a load of bugs, it would reflect badly on the company that originally made the app, regardless of the fact it was not officially released by them on that platform.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-29-12 11:40 AM
    SifJar is spot on.

I would add that contract developers have to convince their clients also that this is a good idea. Many clients, who are often only partially technical, think the Playbook is a failed product. So it's hard to justify the added expense to them.
    SifJar likes this.
    02-29-12 11:47 AM

Oh, gods, are you right on this. There is an app compatibility check page on the BB Dev site, and even some music players like XMP fail due to unique file management APIs. I guess I should look into programming and see what can be done to bring mod, chiptune, and shoutcast players to this tab.
    02-29-12 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD