WSJ has no plans to integrate their app for PlayBook.
    BUT, with the Android player included with 2.0 does that mean the app will download on my PB the same way it would on the IPAD or an Android tablet?
    I don't know how that works....

Mark
    01-15-12 09:59 AM
    From what I understand...

Android apps for the Playbook will be downloaded from Blackberry App World. By default, you won't have an Android Market etc, and the Android apps need to be converted to BAR files before they can be loaded. Obvioiusly downloading from App World, this would have already been done. I assume there's an acceptance process from RIM for the Android Applications.

I haven't played with sideloading or rooting etc, but if you want the app. This might be an option for the time being.

Would be up to the dev to port the App to the Playbook (It's apparently an easy process to do)
    01-15-12 10:12 AM
    The WSJ people emailed me back this week and said NO plans for he PB, so I guess it won't show up in app world either...
    01-15-12 10:29 AM
    If you download the app "Blackberry News", then do a search on Wall Street Journal, (that is what you meant by WSJ isn't it?) you'll some Wall Street Journal content.

HTH

ETA: Blackberry News is an app that provides content from a huge variety of news outlets.
    Last edited by hpjrt; 01-15-12 at 11:03 AM.
    01-15-12 10:59 AM
    I have The Economist and the NYTimes android apps sideloaded on my dev PlayBook, they both work smoothly, not crazy snappy as an ipad, but it still delivers.

If you are using OS2.0 beta, You should look for a packaged WSJ app in these forums. There is a list that is updated once in a while, but most links are broken.

Good luck!
    01-15-12 11:13 AM
    I'm not running the Beta 2.0. Waiting for the real thing. I have a digital subscription to the WSJ but would like the app so I can download it when not in wifi.
    I emailed them last week and got a negative reply for the PB!
    So I thought when 2.0 comes around i would be able to use the android app, but I don't know if it works that way.....
    01-15-12 03:13 PM
    I have a silly question, does anyone know if they'll shutdown the sideloading of apps, once 2.0 is released officially? Is the sideloading to allow developers to do development, will it still be there on the final build?

When you can try to continue to bug your providers, make sure they are aware that they will be able to do this conversion for Android apps, and make it available for bb playbook users. If it isn't central to you, walk away with your money and make sure they know this is why you are doing it.
    01-15-12 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD