This morning I got up bright and early, and decided to do a little experiment:

"Can I write a fully functioning PlayBook app, fit for sale, in 24 hours?"

I also decided to give running updates on my progress via Twitter. If you're interested, follow me at @brainsforrent. or check the hashtag #playbook24. It should be fun.

UPDATE #1: the app is done, and a transcript of the #playbook24 twitter stream can be found here:
    A PlayBook app in 24 hours (or less)

UPDATE #2: the app has been approved by App World, and can be found here:
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/88379/

Last edited by Innovatology; 03-02-12 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed link
    02-11-12 07:14 AM

I also decided to give running updates on my progress via Twitter. If you're interested, follow me at @brainsforrent. or check the hashtag #playbook24. It should be fun.
    I've been porting a lot of open-source Android apps, I'm not as skilled as you. I'm not going to attempt to make an app in 24 hours!
    KermEd likes this.
    02-11-12 07:17 AM

The twitter URL is broken - you have a colon missing :O
    Innovatology likes this.
    02-11-12 07:42 AM
    The twitter URL is broken - you have a colon missing :O
    Here is a working Twitter Link: @brainsforrent
    02-11-12 07:54 AM
    An app in 24 hours to sell...another mediocre 'one-trick pony' app in app world
    02-11-12 08:11 AM
    Good luck. Looks like you are going to build a tif reader. Sounds good.
    02-11-12 08:43 AM
    glad if we could see some screenshot preview~~
    02-11-12 08:46 AM
    i'd like to write a fairly simple app. i am no programmer by any means; i was a sysems builder when i did IT. i had a look thru the APIs offered in the native sdk and didn't find one to hook into the clock/timer.

i gave up. too bad, as my little app would be valuable in my community, on both phones and tablets.

and i figured it would be quick and easy to write so i could submit it in time for the free playbook offer
    02-11-12 09:18 AM
    What's your dev background qnd what language will you use?

EDIT: AIR and C, ok.

I really hope you can, specially considering the free-PB thingie only lasts till the 13th.
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-11-12 at 10:15 AM.
    02-11-12 10:11 AM
    Most apps are one-trick ponys. What's your point?
    02-11-12 10:28 AM
    i have little programming experience. let's say typing basic programs on a ti-99 4a.

actually, i did take comp sci in high school, so i understand code like fortran and pascal. it's like html to me. i understand html fine. i can read it and tell you what it does. i just can't write it.

a friend has a business web site where he wants to change a phone number. i have the page edited, but it's done in css and won't save right for me.

originally i was going to write the app for android using google's dev tool, then port it. it would have a larger audience that way. coding it in html 5 looks like i could write it for bb phones and the playbook in one shot.

is there a more detailed api listing available? i've looked at rim's dev site and didn't find what i think i need.

even if i did find what i needed i don't think i'd make the deadline now. too much other stuff on the go. need to have my sailboat fixed up to go back in the water in a few weeks, and there is overtime starting in the shipyard i work in.

maybe crackberry needs a dev forum for phone and tablet programming
    02-11-12 10:44 AM
    you just want a free playbook haha
    KermEd likes this.
    02-11-12 11:34 AM
    no, i want a simple app that is lacking in the sailing community, more so on blackberry than other brands.

the free tablet would be a bonus, as i'd use my app on board my race boat with it.

i already have a 32gb playbook.
    02-11-12 11:49 AM
    Your vendor account won't get accepted in 24 hours probably
    02-11-12 11:50 AM
    You can do it. I punched out 4 apps in 7 days this week. And they are free - quality apps too. But for 24 hour turn around you need to really know your code, have code bases (in my case I have a dozen apps I made to use as a base) and a clearly outlined storyboard and goal.

The slowest part of my apps was the graphic design and recording music. That always slows me down and takes up half the day.
    hubermania likes this.
    02-11-12 01:11 PM
    You can do it. I punched out 4 apps in 7 days this week. And they are free - quality apps too. But for 24 hour turn around you need to really know your code, have code bases (in my case I have a dozen apps I made to use as a base) and a clearly outlined storyboard and goal.

The slowest part of my apps was the graphic design and recording music. That always slows me down and takes up half the day.
    Now I'm really starting to see myself as a failed programmer...
    diegonei likes this.
    02-11-12 01:15 PM
    even if i did find what i needed i don't think i'd make the deadline now. too much other stuff on the go. need to have my sailboat fixed up to go back in the water in a few weeks, and there is overtime starting in the shipyard i work in.

maybe crackberry needs a dev forum for phone and tablet programming
    RIM has a forum for us (developers) but you are expected to do the learning on your own
    Http://www.blackberry.com/developers will help you get started. I have some concerns for you though. If you were able to master 1 programming language, I would say it won't be too bad. But because you've only dabbled a bit - it is going to be quite difficult. Not impossible, but you won't have much of an advantage over a new learner.

Reading code and using HTML is easy peasy. If you push for HTML5 you should be OK. Most HTML4&5 is simple and easy to work with. It's faster too but not quite strong enough for complex apps like (let's say) building an emulator. It can be done but the FPS wouldn't be good snuff.

Anyway, good luck. You have time if you focus. RIM is turning vendor accounts around in about 48 hours ATM.
    02-11-12 01:20 PM
    Now I'm really starting to see myself as a failed programmer...
    Aww, for what they its worth though - I was recycling my code and working on them for 10 hours+ a day. I'm no programmer either though, give me the NDK and it's a miracle of I can even compile a tutorial file.
    02-11-12 01:22 PM
    Aww, for what they its worth though - I was recycling my code and working on them for 10 hours+ a day. I'm no programmer either though, give me the NDK and it's a miracle of I can even compile a tutorial file.
    I'm joking, just not as skilled as you guys!
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-11-12 03:04 PM
    Ladies and gentlemen,

The app is done!

It took just 16 hours! I'll post a transcript of the twitter stream tomorrow, or you can read #playbook24 in reverse

Update, the transcript is here: http://innovatology.tumblr.com/post/...943/playbook24
    Last edited by Innovatology; 02-13-12 at 08:13 PM.
    diegonei and lotuslanderz like this.
    02-11-12 05:31 PM
    If it's as good as Files & folders and I have a use for it then I will give it a try.
    Innovatology likes this.
    02-11-12 05:36 PM
    Ladies and gentlemen,

The app is done!

It took just 16 hours! I'll post a transcript of the twitter stream tomorrow, or you can read #playbook24 in reverse
    Congratulations!
    Innovatology likes this.
    02-11-12 09:41 PM
    what dev environment is best for beginners?

i'm done with fiberglass and epoxy resin for a bit. once it cracks off my fingers i can type code on a keyboard
    diegonei likes this.
    02-11-12 11:42 PM
    Be Nice!!!
    Innovatology likes this.
    02-11-12 11:54 PM
    at least it's not an ifart app
    02-12-12 12:02 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD