I was thinking that for paid services like netflix, there really isn't much of a draw to build an app for a small market share OS like Playbook 2.0. Why doesn't the community embrace a paid client for services? If a quarter of Playbook owners paid $1 for a skype or netflix app, that would raise $300,000 to pay for development. Netflix would be happy, Playbook owners would be happy and we've beaten our chicken and egg dilemma.
    fbloise likes this.
    04-10-12 04:52 PM
    No, I wouldn't. Netflix should provide that free as included in their paid services. I canceled Netflix when they raised the rates. I would consider joining again if they made a PlayBook app.
    OniBerry, mzceetee and guerllamo7 like this.
    04-10-12 04:55 PM
    I agree, but for whatever reason it isn't getting done. I want the app more than I want a dollar. People pay a dollar for a lot of crap apps, yet a skype app adds value to the platform, and most of their user don't pay a cent. And here we are with a major lack of marquee apps.
    04-10-12 04:59 PM
    They wouldn't release a paid app even under their own volition. It would shrink the number of people that would use the service monthly that brings in a lot more money than the $1 from the app would...
    04-10-12 05:00 PM
    I'm willing to pay a buck to get it done. RIM is failing to get it done and this can cost them everything. A playbook with proper video services and chat clients would have been a success. The OS is fundamentally good, but they fail to check the boxes that a competitive OS needs to check. It is not like we don't already pay higher prices for content than other platforms, Angry Birds has free versions and $1 pro versions and we pay 5x that.
    Last edited by zinadork; 04-10-12 at 05:10 PM.
    04-10-12 05:05 PM
    netflix will be here at some point and i am willing to wait as its not all its cracked up to be.

Alec and company were tweeting directly to netflixhelp on twitter today and i think its up to Rim too get Netflix on board ,not the consumer.
    04-10-12 05:10 PM
    Netflix won't release the app for $1 as a paid app... This has nothing to do with RIM, netflix won't do this.

Also if you think Netflix won't make a PB app due to low demand at $8-15 a month X number of PB users, yet you think they will because of $1 X number of PB users willing to buy the app and subscribe to Netflix?

That makes no sense...
    ice4u2 likes this.
    04-10-12 05:15 PM
    I don't want to pay, but Netflix already has my money and they make the argument that they can't justify paying to develop for a small userbase.
    04-10-12 05:16 PM
    Nope. Better streaming services out there to beg for now. Not going to pay just to keep up with the Jones's trash bin.

What going on with Amazon Prime? They blocking PB now? Just used it a few weeks ago, but now get an "update Flash Player" error.
    04-10-12 05:17 PM
    Nope, Netflix is useless to me.
    madman0141 likes this.
    04-10-12 05:20 PM
    This fee would only be to recoup development costs. I have no problem with RIM writing a big check to them directly to pay for it either, but it needs to be done one way or another. Apps aren't free and someone has to pay, they've said they won't. Nobody is going to buy a platform that doesn't support essential services.
    04-10-12 05:23 PM
    At this point, yeah, sure, I'll pay a buck...
    04-10-12 05:56 PM
    I'm willing to pay a buck. Heck I paid $1-2 dollars for apps I only used once.
    You know I though about this idea for Skype, but the problem is
    you will probably only get 5k-8k people to pay the dollar which wont be much.
    I mean just look at the petitions which are free we only got
    around 12k signatures for both Skype and Netflix.
    04-10-12 06:14 PM
    I'd pay because it's only a buck, but on principle I wouldn't, if that makes any sense at all.

Their app is free on iOS and Android...why should it be any different on a BlackBerry device?
    ordigas likes this.
    04-10-12 06:21 PM
    I was thinking that for paid services like netflix, there really isn't much of a draw to build an app for a small market share OS like Playbook 2.0. Why doesn't the community embrace a paid client for services? If a quarter of Playbook owners paid $1 for a skype or netflix app, that would raise $300,000 to pay for development. Netflix would be happy, Playbook owners would be happy and we've beaten our chicken and egg dilemma.
    If you can get in touch with both sides, maybe a kickstarter effort.
    I'd pay $5.00 just to get the project off the ground.

Also, if a PlayBook-related kickstarter get's the positive press that Double Fine did, it could be another way to kill this negative image that PlayBook/BB10/QNX is a dead platform walking.
    James Nieves likes this.
    04-10-12 06:26 PM
    OK that's it!! I will donate $20 for Netflix if it will make everyone happy. I will also donate $20 for skyhype as well. With the agreement that neither can every be mentioned again and if it is the OP of the thread is banned on site. I thought we were through with this but I guess I was wrong. Whenever you set it up so we have to pay a bribe these companies to give us an app we will have to pay for again when it gets here. Count me in.
    04-10-12 06:27 PM
    I think there isn't much damage done if we keep mentioning these topics. If anything, RIM is only reminded how much we want the platform to be equal to its peers and how much we want our products to achieve their full potential.

As long as we do it eloquently, we shouldn't scare anyone away.
    04-10-12 06:32 PM
    Also, if a PlayBook-related kickstarter get's the positive press that Double Fine did, it could be another way to kill this negative image that PlayBook/BB10/QNX is a dead platform walking.
    Let me assure you that articles showing that PB users have to donate money to get a free app made for their platform will not garner positive press...
    04-10-12 06:32 PM
    Let me assure you that articles showing that PB users have to donate money to get a free app made for their platform will not garner positive press...
    I don't know man, it really depends on how it would end up. If PlayBook-related kickstarts started popping out, I'm sure at first we would be pointed at and mocked (like we aren't now...).

But if those kickstarts rocked the scene, the tone would change quickly. If a few projects catch on, and provide a successful port, it could be the nudge RIM desperately needs.

At this point, RIM needs to focus PR as much as the OS and dev community.

RIM needs to change the market perception of being alone at sea surrounded by sharks, ready to go in for the kill.
    04-10-12 06:38 PM
    No, I would not pay $1 toward the development of the App

What I will do is NOT use netflix, and help other people find solutions to avoid netflix as long as there isn't a PlayBook App

Just as I've converted 10 people from Kindle to Kobo, 7 of them not even BlackBerry PlayBook owners,
    If a company doesn't show support for what should be a supported product, I will avoid it as much as I can,

Amazon has lost about $3000 in total purchases since January from myself and some family, it has cost me a little extra buying products online from other players and buying books from Kobo, but I am willing to pay more on principle

Just like I try and buy from local farmers in the summer, and I choose to pay more for Canadian made over non Canadian made if I have the option
    pcguy514 likes this.
    04-10-12 06:39 PM
    Perhaps. I already shell out money for them every month -_-
    04-10-12 06:44 PM
    Not for the Canadian content, a US version I could use through a proxy hells ya!
    04-10-12 06:47 PM
    Not one red cent. Netflix has nothing that interests me at this point but the concept of me paying for the initial development of an app doesn't make sense. If Netflix wanted to draw additional business from PlayBook users they only have to provide the content in another format on their website which isn't all that difficult in this day and age. Hulu and other providers could stop blocking content to the PlayBook. Netflix and the others need to earn my business, not the other way around.
    04-10-12 06:51 PM
    Not for the Canadian content, a US version I could use through a proxy hells ya!
    I'm doing it through a blocking service and Netflix gets old fast.
    Won't even down load the app if they paid me a buck.
    04-10-12 07:01 PM
    I'd pay because it's only a buck, but on principle I wouldn't, if that makes any sense at all.

Their app is free on iOS and Android...why should it be any different on a BlackBerry device?
    We should not set the precedent that PlayBook users should be treated any differently, especially if the difference makes PlayBook users appear to be "second class citizens". I agree that some apps that provide revenue based on ads (Angry Birds on Android vs iOS and QNX) should be based on the total size of the user base.

Paying for the development of a Netflix app would mean we are recognizing PlayBook is "not worth the trouble". If users can watch Netflix on a PC, iPad, iPod, Android Phone, Android Tablet, PlayStation 3, XBox 360, Wii (for Christ's sakes!!), PS Vita and my grandmother's toaster, than by God, we deserve some consideration.
    04-10-12 07:09 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD