View Poll Results: Would you buy this radar application?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I have been waiting for something like this!

45 71.43%
  • No. I have no need for it.

18 28.57%
    Would you purchase an advanced radar application?
    One that has the following features?
    (this is just a few)

•Supports AllisonHouse Level 3 data plus lightning(requires Storm Hunter or Storm Chaser package)

•Detailed vector roads enhance situational awareness

•Tornado, Severe Thunderstorm, and Flash Flood warnings are plotted right on the map along with your location

•View satellite imagery centered on your location (Visible, Infrared, and Water Vapor)

•Access virtually any National Weather Service text product quickly

•Quickly submit SpotterNetwork reports and more via the exclusive GesturePad

•Multiple overlays included including State, counties, urban areas, NWS County Warning Areas, and more

Base Reflectivity (tilts 1, 2, 3 ,4)
    Composite Radar
    Velocity (tilts 1, 2, 3, 4)
    Storm Relative Motion (tilts 1, 2, 3, 4)
    Spectrum Width
    DVIL
    Echo Tops
    Storm Total Precip
    3 Hour Precip
    Radar Smoothing (users options on or off)
    Pinch zoom
    Street Level Radar
    (and getting ready for the ne NWS Dual Pole Radars coming online this year)

The application is called PYKL3 Radar. It came out for Android last year and
    they are working toward making it available via BB App World.

We already have working betas of the PB Droid PYKL3 with some testing yet to do.

Would it be worth it to make this available to the PB users?

Tim

(this is not like BeWeather or other PB weather apps. This is a real radar program that
    does for radar what no other BB PB application does)

Last edited by trsbbs; 03-26-12 at 12:23 PM.
    03-26-12 12:06 PM
    Absolutely. Coming from one developer to another, apps are what we need on the Playbook, and anything worthwhile like this is OK by me.
    03-26-12 12:15 PM
    Please build this app! This looks and sounds great. I'm on board.
    03-26-12 02:16 PM
    I probably would if it's reasonable.
    03-26-12 05:25 PM
    If the app has a nice layout and good design with all the functions above, I would buy it. When I use weather apps, I look at the radar all the time. How much are you considering on selling the app for?

Thanks for supporting the PB
    03-26-12 05:44 PM
    Would you purchase an advanced radar application?
    One that has the following features?
    As a Skywarn Spotter for my county - absolutely!
    I've been waiting for this for BB or Playbook!
    03-26-12 06:13 PM
    I like to analyze myself so yeah I would buy it. It's not necessarily important in my life though so I wouldn't pay more than 3,99

I say build it!
    03-26-12 06:30 PM
    Absolutely I would... Heck, I spent $30.00 on all 3 Angry Birds for both mine and my son's playbook just to support the developers!
    03-26-12 06:40 PM
    I am not the author of this app. Just helping with getting it tested and ready for the PB..

It's already in the DROID Marketplace for $9.99.

It is nicely done and is always being improved upon.

Tim
    03-26-12 06:52 PM
    I'm not buying any more weather apps lol.
    That being said, this app does look very good and I imagine other people will.
    Certainly more BlackBerry owners will buy it than Android owners, where anything can be had for the cost of advertising.
    03-26-12 06:55 PM
    I'm in construction and let me say I would buy this within 5min of it comin to the PB. Weather forcasts are good but if I can see the rain coming, I can make better calls to bring people in and go to work or not etc. When theres 30 machines at $200 bucks an hour 5min can make a big difference.

Hope to see this app soon.
    Hope it supports Canadian locations
    03-26-12 07:25 PM
    I would buy this in a min. if it was a GPS overlay map
    03-26-12 08:16 PM
    Does this work in all countries or just USA?
    03-27-12 07:53 AM
    Hey guys here is something that does the same thing that can be used from the playbook browser and it is free. Just click on you location from the map.

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop
    03-27-12 10:41 AM
    Hey guys here is something that does the same thing that can be used from the playbook browser and it is free. Just click on you location from the map.

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop
    Sorry, it's not the same if you know anything about radar and the source issues
    with the free NWS sources.

The great thing about this app is you can use a third party supplier for the radar data.

During outbreaks the free NWS servers get hammered and stop responding.
    Certain connections get priority and Joe/Jane Q. Public is at the bottom of this list.
    So when you need it the most, it may not be there.
    This happens several times a year.

With the third party like Allisonhouse you do not have that issue. dependable depenable and much faster than the free servers which the NWS Websites and most of the free sites use.

The number of radar products is has versus the web is not a contest.

The warning and watches are from Allisonhouse and another third part source. Same thing here, more dependable and faster during high use times.

Allsonhouse is tapped into NOAAPort, sort of the links between the NOAA/NWS entities.
    This is costly thus its costs to use it. But very reasonable.

The ability to submit a storm report via The SpotterNetwork is also a great plus.
    These reports are pipped into the NWS Chat rooms where the NWS folks are.
    You can also see other SpotterNetworks spotter on the radar screen as well.
    This allows for GPS tracking of each spotter.

SpotterNetwork is a not for profit free service(Spotter Network), unlike Allsionhouse. (AllisonHouse - Severe Weather Data Services)

Granted, many folks are happy with the free items, but those that want more, need more know the clear difference. Not even a close race at all.

Tim
    03-27-12 11:04 AM
    Does this work in all countries or just USA?
    Just the USA..and Gaum.

Tim
    03-27-12 11:07 AM
    I would buy this in a min. if it was a GPS overlay map
    For tracking someone?

Spotternetwork is used to display the GPS coordinates of the spotters.

A laptop, GPS unit and the software from Spotternetwork will allow for the spotter to be tracked on the radar display. They must have an Internet connection to do so.

Tim
    03-27-12 11:09 AM
    You can find out more about the app here:

PYKL3 Radar

The PB version is not mentioned as it has not been released yet. In beta testing, than, if enough interest i seen, made available to BB App World.

Tim

PS, I am not the Dev, just a weather nut wanting to use his PB.
    03-27-12 11:14 AM
    You can't see me, but I'm throwing money at the monitor. Yes please!!!
    trsbbs likes this.
    03-27-12 04:22 PM
    I would seriously consider buying an pp like this, but I'm not sure I'd pay $10 for it.
    03-27-12 05:22 PM
    Just trying to figure out how your radar pics are any different than this when it is coming from the same source.
    NWS radar image loop of Base Reflectivity from Green Bay, WI

That mosaic I showed is the national map has the features of you selecting the area of your choice just by touching on the area you want to get radar info on. So basically you want ti sell a app that gets the same radar feeds that are shown on that mosaic map which is a NOAA site at that.
    03-27-12 07:47 PM
    By the way my nick is also my ham callsign, and I am with Skywarn around the Dulles airport area.

Http://aprs.fi/kg4icg
    Last edited by kg4icg; 03-27-12 at 08:00 PM.
    03-27-12 07:56 PM
    Just trying to figure out how your radar pics are any different than this when it is coming from the same source.
    NWS radar image loop of Base Reflectivity from Green Bay, WI

That mosaic I showed is the national map has the features of you selecting the area of your choice just by touching on the area you want to get radar info on. So basically you want ti sell a app that gets the same radar feeds that are shown on that mosaic map which is a NOAA site at that.
    I am not selling the app. I did not write the app. I do not work for Allisonhouse.

The app can use either the free NWS feeds or the third party feeds. Your choice.

Those that really use a radar to its fulliest and take the time to study it are its target audiance.

You won't see any real storm chasers or spotters using the free mosiac.

You also do not see the NWS using the Mosaic. They use their own software
    and a third party programm named GRLevel3 and GRLevel2. These two programs run
    the same way this app does.

If you like the mosaic use it. It is clear you do not know the workings of the NWS radar and the difference between it and using an application and third party data sources, thus the free stuff will work just fine for you.

Tim
    03-27-12 08:01 PM
    By the way my nick is also my ham callsign, and I am with Skywarn around the Dulles airport area.

Http://aprs.fi/kg4icg
    Mine is WX9TRS.

Board of Directors of the MidWest Severe Storm Tracking Response Center.
    MidWest SSTRC Inc..

Tim
    03-27-12 08:04 PM
    Just the USA..and Gaum.

Tim
    KBUF covers southern Ontario and PYKL3 works great I use it on my android and will buy it in seconds for the PB. I have used the 2.3-BETA-J on the PB and it works. But I want the real version made for the PB for updates and stability.
    03-27-12 08:43 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD