09-01-11 07:21 PM
44 12
tools
    If marketing was the only, or just the biggest reason for the iPhones success, then how come WebOS didn't work for HP? They spend a lot of money marketing it?

Microsoft have spend a couple of hundred million dollars on marketing WP7, but its marketshare is still tiny.

No, marketing doesn't guarantee success, and marketing alone won't sell a product.

In the iPhones case it was marketing in combination with an awesome product, that gave the user something they couldn't get elsewhere.

The "Marketing-is-everything"-explanation might soothe the bruised feelings of a fan of a competing products, but it's a poor explanation for Apples succes.
    09-01-11 09:58 AM
    QNX isn't brand spanking new either, sure it has some modifications for it but to say it's too young for comparisons going by that logic by the time it matures to iOS4/5 and HoneyComb/IceCream level Apple will be on iOS9 and Android on Dessert.x and QNX will never be on par if RIM is around making PlayBooks.
    The QNX Platform is not new I agree. The Blackberry flavour of QNX is new.

I'm not saying that QNX wont compare. You don't have to look at the development curve for an OS as being linear. A truly great OS can have an exponential development curve. Is QNX like this? We will have to wait and see but I don't think at this stage in the game its of any value to compare QNX to iOS5 or icecream sandwich.

I do agree that the longer QNX flounders without basic functions like auto correct the harder is going to be to keep the public's eye (at least the positive public's eye )
    howarmat likes this.
    09-01-11 10:14 AM
    let's just hope more developers use SDKs like the marmalade sdk more often, that way, the small population of the playbook won't be that much of a problem anymore....
    09-01-11 10:47 AM
    Doesn't iphone have wifi hotspot? I don't know that it matters what phone you have for tethering but maybe it does. If you can find a store or friend with one maybe you can try to tether.
    Seems that the carrier here doesn't support it (Philippines). I dont have it on my iPhone, or perhaps .. I don't really know, lol. Its just that, you don't really see it under the network settings. So, I just assumed that its not supported, since none of my friends (I believe) are not able to use it as well.

That's why Im led to wait on the PBs 3G version, and I hope the QNX is doing much better by then.

Oh, and I dont have a friend that has a PB here, barring one lady, which I dont see often. So yeah.. But perhaps, Ill try to find one, to try it with soon.
    Last edited by Waks; 09-01-11 at 11:08 AM.
    09-01-11 11:04 AM
    Seems that the carrier here doesn't support it (Philippines). I dont have it on my iPhone, or perhaps .. I don't really know, lol. Its just that, you don't really see it under the network settings. So, I just assumed that its not supported, since none of my friends (I believe) are not able to use it as well.

That's why Im led to wait on the PBs 3G version, and I hope the QNX is doing much better by then.

Oh, and I dont have a friend that has a PB here, barring one lady, which I dont see often. So yeah.. But perhaps, Ill try to find one, to try it with soon.
    If I could get ahold of one one get them to pair with bluetooth I'd be giving it a try if I were you.
    09-01-11 11:14 AM
    The iPhone release was purely marketing. At the time people were gobbling up iPods and anything apple. 500,000 iPhones in 3 days of launch.
    Again, if this were the case, they would hold more than 10% of the worldwide PC market. They don't.

The reason they didn't take the lead right away is because of a few things.

1. Supply
    2. People on contract.
    3. Its easy to look at a percentage but you have to look at the real numbers 1% means billions of phones world wide. It takes time to build those numbers.
    If supply were the problem, you have to believe that supply didn't catch up until 2010. We all know that isn't the case.

If "people on contract" were the problem, then Apple should've taken the lead in January 2009. Why then? Because Apple announced the iPhone in January 2007, so since marketing is all it takes and people "were gobbling up iPods and anything Apple" (your words, not mine) they should have switched to the iPhone at the first opportunity. Some did, some didn't, so this argument isn't convincing.

As for your admonition about the "real numbers," your estimates are way off. To be clear, since the world population is around 6 billion, it's foolish to suggest that 1% of the market is equivalent to "billions of phones." When Apple launched the iPhone, their stated goal was 10 million units in 2008, which (at the time) would've been 1% of the market of roughly 1 billion devices. As for percentages, I never mentioned any. I look at the raw number, which is the quarterly handset sales. By those numbers, Apple didn't pass RIM for good until the iPhone 4 hit its stride, which is 3 iPhones late if all it takes is great marketing.
    09-01-11 11:34 AM
    Actually, this is what's keeping me from getting a PB right now. Unless a 3G/4G PB gets released, or a confirmation that tethering a PB thru an iPhone 4 works (trying to research, but to no avail), that's the only time Ill get one.
    You can tether any wi-fi device off an iPhone 4 (just check your cell provider's data plans, because some charge extra for tethering).
    09-01-11 11:38 AM
    If supply were the problem, you have to believe that supply didn't catch up until 2010. We all know that isn't the case.
    This is true the supply problem that I was referring to was only in the beginning

If "people on contract" were the problem, then Apple should've taken the lead in January 2009. Why then? Because Apple announced the iPhone in January 2007, so since marketing is all it takes and people "were gobbling up iPods and anything Apple" (your words, not mine) they should have switched to the iPhone at the first opportunity. Some did, some didn't, so this argument isn't convincing.
    You have different contract lengths 1,2, 3 years people that bought in 2007 before the iPhone came out wouldn't be off contract until 2010. Not to mention people that came off contract and were not in the financial position to switch. There are so many factors.

As for your admonition about the "real numbers," your estimates are way off. To be clear, since the world population is around 6 billion, it's foolish to suggest that 1% of the market is equivalent to "billions of phones." When Apple launched the iPhone, their stated goal was 10 million units in 2008, which (at the time) would've been 1% of the market of roughly 1 billion devices. As for percentages, I never mentioned any. I look at the raw number, which is the quarterly handset sales. By those numbers, Apple didn't pass RIM for good until the iPhone 4 hit its stride, which is 3 iPhones late if all it takes is great marketing.
    Sorry for that I was just pulling a number out, my boss was walking around and I was just trying to get a post out. What I was trying to get at is the fact that if you want to take the market lead it takes time just because of the number of units that have to be produced and sold to people.

Analyst sometimes forget that they talk about a company only controlling 15% of the market, well, when that 15% translates to millions of phones it sounds a little more impressive. The general public can sometimes get lost in the percentages.
    09-01-11 12:06 PM
    Don't forget that the Ipad will run all the Iphone apps aswell that were already delivered before the ipad launched.. Less then ideal, but atleast the apps you enjoyed on your iphone were available on the ipad.

The issues with the playbook is that non of the apps on the BBOS are able to natively run on you playbook.. heck Running apps built for earlier builds of BBOS don't run on BBOS 7.

I Just want and RDP app already.
    09-01-11 12:10 PM
    The QNX Platform is not new I agree. The Blackberry flavour of QNX is new.

I'm not saying that QNX wont compare. You don't have to look at the development curve for an OS as being linear. A truly great OS can have an exponential development curve. Is QNX like this? We will have to wait and see but I don't think at this stage in the game its of any value to compare QNX to iOS5 or icecream sandwich.

I do agree that the longer QNX flounders without basic functions like auto correct the harder is going to be to keep the public's eye (at least the positive public's eye )
    This new update RIM is suppose to release will probably be the deciding factor. If nothing happens soon. RIM may be having a fire sale of their own with the PlayBook
    09-01-11 12:25 PM
    People bash the PB and RIM because they don't have certain features and apps. The point of this tread is just to mention that when iOS was first created it also was missing many features.
    The problem is that people today are trying to compare blackberry QNX to iOS4 (and soon iOS5).
    Operating Systems are a very complex and require years of changes and constant evolution.
    Comparing QNX to iOS5 is like comparing googles new OS for netbooks with windows/OS X.QNX is too young for these comparisons.
    Yes agreed, it is such a big problem that people compare blackberry QNX to iOS4 (and soon iOS5). QNX is so much better and has so much power.

Over the past 30 years, QNX software has become a big part of everyday life. People encounter QNX-controlled systems whenever they drive, shop, watch TV, use the Internet, or even turn on a light. Its ultra-reliable nature means QNX software is the preferred choice for life-critical systems such as air traffic control systems, surgical equipment, and nuclear power plants.
    About QNX

Can your iOS or android do that? No. So playbook has the best os and best hardware ever.
    09-01-11 12:40 PM
    Yes agreed, it is such a big problem that people compare blackberry QNX to iOS4 (and soon iOS5). QNX is so much better and has so much power.

Over the past 30 years, QNX software has become a big part of everyday life. People encounter QNX-controlled systems whenever they drive, shop, watch TV, use the Internet, or even turn on a light. Its ultra-reliable nature means QNX software is the preferred choice for life-critical systems such as air traffic control systems, surgical equipment, and nuclear power plants.
    About QNX

Can your iOS or android do that? No. So playbook has the best os and best hardware ever.
    The people that think the QNX system in nuclear power plants and on the moon is the same QNX in their PlayBook have really lost their minds.
    09-01-11 12:57 PM

About QNX

So your Playbook can turn on lights, control aircraft and do medical operations? It definitely IS the best.

The materials in my old Palm T5 is also used to make pots and can openers... so it is the second best. Ever.
    09-01-11 12:58 PM

About QNX

All that means nothing if the implementaion is no good. You won't be using your PlayBook to land planes, shutdown a reactor or surgery. Besides there is more than one flavor of QNX

Consumers don't care what's under the hood per se, they care about does it work as advertised and price.
    09-01-11 12:59 PM
    The people that think the QNX system in nuclear power plants and on the moon is the same QNX in their PlayBook have really lost their minds.
    Brucep1... please let it go. Please.

QNX is the tool of the New World Order. It is alien technology. The Playbook powered ET's mothership.
    09-01-11 01:01 PM
    80% of the web?.....really? Where did you get those numbers from? You don't need iTunes you get do it on the iPad plus Netflix, hulu, etc. It's hard to find any visual media content for the playbook.
    With flash being on PB, u can go on websites like tv.blinkz that post content "illegally" and watch all the movies and shows u desire. Just because its not name brand like Netflix and Hulu doesn't mean that there's no content there. There are thousands of websites that post HD content for free, u just have to know where to look.
    09-01-11 01:41 PM
    Personally, not to bothered about the apps. If that was what i wanted I would have bought something different. For me it was form factor, display, camera, full HD, flash, network storage and bridge.
    is there an app for any of that!!!!
    09-01-11 06:03 PM
    Well, it makes it real easy to sort posters by credibility. Of all the "QNX is supreme" blab I have seen on the forum, I think only about 5% of it is actually informed.
    09-01-11 07:19 PM

About QNX

QNX has also been used to control traffic lights and sewage treatment plants. I think that bodes well for RIM.
    09-01-11 07:21 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD