Hey Everyone,

So I've finally found a working version of medscape.

Don't actually know what version it is, according to playbookbars.com it version 1.0.5 works but that was not the case for me.

Perhaps this is a slightly older version.

Anyways, I've got no idea where I should put the .bar file, I guess the best thing would just to submit it to Koz for his goodereader website
    jerryburst likes this.
    04-10-12 02:51 PM
    you can upload it on mediafire or something like that and link it here

Maybe a brief description of the app would help some people that dont know what it is ...
    or a link to the google play description.

Thanks for the work!
    04-10-12 02:59 PM
    excellent! more med apps are welcome!
    Please upload it to mediafire.com.

Thanks
    04-10-12 03:20 PM
    EDIT: Added CORRECT Medscape version

Hey guys,

So I've uploaded it to mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?s15c8a5d92tj049 (correct version)

There's the link Remember it has to download offline content so it does take a little while to download all the files it needs, and remember it does work without WiFi after the initial download. I'd strongly recommend leaving WiFi on sometimes while using the app because it receives updates. For many people using this application they are probably in some type of post secondary institution such as a University or College, or they work in the medical/health field, so it's important to make sure you get those updates downloaded, there is a manual way within the app to update its files.

For those wondering what Medscape is, well I'll just briefly tell you

Medscape is an EXCELLENT resource for medical information. There is also a Medscape app for the BlackBerry smartphones which does work quite well too, I've tried it

It does have some really handy features such as a drug reference of over 8000 drugs, herbal medications, and OTC (over the counter medications)

The interaction checker basically lets you add up to 30 medications and check to see if a drug reaction will occur.

The app is full of great stuff like this, the smartphone app is definitely optimized for the BlackBerry screen size so if you want to also use the app on the go you can use it on the phone. For more screen real estate, the PlayBook does a pretty good job at handling this app.

If you're into medicine or actually in that field, I'd highly recommend this, multiple medical professionals including my professor who works as an Emergency department physician in Toronto.

Enjoy

PS: I'm also testing out Anatomy apps, the BEST by far was Nettlers Guide to Anatomy, about 40 dollars on iOS, I can't seem to find it on Android though, that's why I'm going through their anatomy section and seeing what they have to offer, a lot of the apps do work, they just are poorly designed, mind you in terms of speed it's good but alas I have yet to find one good anatomy app through the Android market, I'll keep everyone up to date on my findings

Enjoy Medscape everyone
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 04-11-12 at 09:12 AM.
    alfa159 and westcoaststyle like this.
    04-10-12 06:24 PM
    Thank you F.
    04-10-12 07:03 PM
    Thank you F.
    Hey Byul good to see you again

I didn't know you were interested in medical apps
    04-10-12 07:06 PM
    It's a interesting section uhu!^^ Yah been busy lately!
    04-10-12 07:20 PM
    It's a interesting section uhu!^^ Yah been busy lately!
    Yeah I figured you might be busy you weren't responding to my BBM messages as of late
    04-11-12 12:43 AM
    Thanks! Any way to get Epocrates too?
    04-11-12 12:55 AM
    is it really work?it keeps on dowloading in my playbook.
    04-11-12 02:09 AM
    I have the same issue, it just keeps downloading the information but never gets past 1 of 4....

Please help.
    04-11-12 07:48 AM
    Thanks! Any way to get Epocrates too?
    I tried the Epocrates app, the latest verision didn't work although like medscape I'll find different versions and see how if it'll work

Yes this version of medscape is fully functional. I had a lot of problems with Medscape 2.0, did a security wipe to get rid of all the files the problematic medscape version left behind and now it's working great
    04-11-12 07:50 AM
    I have the same issue, it just keeps downloading the information but never gets past 1 of 4....

Please help.
    Uninstall Medscape, reinstall medscape, reboot the PlayBook, tap the medscape icon and it should be working
    04-11-12 07:52 AM
    UPDATE: Sorry about that everyone, accidentally uploaded the wrong version of medscape, Delete that version then install this one guys

UPDATE 2: Looks like I've jumped the gun on this one, certain portions of the app just show white screens. The journals and the drug interaction checker are working perfectly fine though. Odd, perhaps I just have some files out of order, well I'll update you guys on this in a bit.

UPDATE 3: By now you should all be getting just a tiny bit irritated , application is fully working for me the problem was when I uninstalled the non working version I had to plug my PlayBook into my PC then go to Misc, Android, Medscape and delete that folder. Installed this one down below and everything is fully functional.

medscape.android.bar
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 04-11-12 at 10:01 AM.
    04-11-12 09:12 AM
    Grrrr...lol.... I will give that one a try and let you know.
    04-11-12 10:01 AM
    Grrrr...lol.... I will give that one a try and let you know.
    Make sure you delete the medscape app first, then plug in the PlayBook and go to Misc, Android then delete the Medscape folder. Load up the version that's been corrected and you'll be good to go
    04-11-12 10:50 AM
    Other apps I have found useful and work:
    Sanford Guide (sideload. v1.2): https://minus.com/mbo0jrWCtD/
    AO Surgery (loaded from Market)
    AFP by topic (loaded from Market)
    Human Anatomy (loaded from Market)
    USMLEWorld Qbank (loaded from Market, $$)
    Gray's Anatomy 2011 (loaded from Market, $$)

Epocrates did not work for me either.
    I had sideloaded another version of Medscape and it worked wonderfully until I updated, let's hope this one works...
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    04-11-12 11:35 PM
    it works!! looks like v1.03.
    I deleted the previous version from both the android folder and from the playbook itself. Thanks!
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    04-12-12 12:17 AM
    Other apps I have found useful and work:
    Sanford Guide (sideload. v1.2): https://minus.com/mbo0jrWCtD/
    AO Surgery (loaded from Market)
    AFP by topic (loaded from Market)
    Human Anatomy (loaded from Market)
    USMLEWorld Qbank (loaded from Market, $$)
    Gray's Anatomy 2011 (loaded from Market, $$)

Epocrates did not work for me either.
    I had sideloaded another version of Medscape and it worked wonderfully until I updated, let's hope this one works...
    Glad that it did work out

Yeah I never could get Epocrates to work myself either, to tell you the truth I've never heard of Epocrates until after I was searching for Medscape alternatives when originally I couldn't find a working version.

I'll check out the apps you've mentioned. I've checked out some of the Android anatomy apps, some of those apps were just really poorly designed

Nonetheless your list of apps I have yet to even sideload, so maybe I'll find a nice anatomy app that I like
    04-12-12 08:51 AM
    yeah, the Human Anatomy app is pretty basic, but free. I'll see if I can find an .apk for the Netter's Atlas, maybe someone can APK--> BAR for me.
    04-12-12 10:43 AM
    goku, do you have Google Play on your PB? Just FYI DO NOT update Medscape, you'll end up in an upload loop.
    04-12-12 10:45 AM
    I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I've had v1.03 working for on my PB for a few weeks now. I lucked out and posted a bar request, and this was the version that a forum member converted for me. Works at least as well as the iPhone version, and is definitely faster. I've been using Medscape for iOS for a couple of years, after being an Epocrates user since the Palm days. For my needs Medscape provides a cleaner, better laid out interface.
    04-12-12 02:08 PM
    goku, do you have Google Play on your PB? Just FYI DO NOT update Medscape, you'll end up in an upload loop.
    Nope I do not, I'm running the latest OS as of now which is 2.0.0.7971 and that OS doesn't have a way to root. Actually funny that you mentioned that because in the newest version of Medscape 2.0, you'll automatically get stuck in the update loop. With this version I updated my clinical reference files (Skipped that installation when I initially loaded the app) and it worked beautifully.

yeah, the Human Anatomy app is pretty basic, but free. I'll see if I can find an .apk for the Netter's Atlas, maybe someone can APK--> BAR for me.
    The best anatomy app I've seen by far on ANY device is the Nettler's Guide to Human Anatomy, on iOS it was 40 dollars but for what that app provided it was worth it, so far I'm still trying to find alternatives as well. If you do happen to find the .apk I'll convert it for you.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I've had v1.03 working for on my PB for a few weeks now. I lucked out and posted a bar request, and this was the version that a forum member converted for me. Works at least as well as the iPhone version, and is definitely faster. I've been using Medscape for iOS for a couple of years, after being an Epocrates user since the Palm days. For my needs Medscape provides a cleaner, better laid out interface.
    For me Medscape just does the job . It's dependable and is often praised. Epocrates on the other hand for some reason or another gets a lot of hate, personally I've never used anything outside of Medscape and Nettler's Guide to Human Anatomy so I can't judge Epocrates yet.

And for everyone, Remember Medscape DOES work on the BlackBerry smartphone as well, all you have to do is go to medscape.com/blackberry through your BlackBerry smartphone browser and away you go, Medscape on the go
    04-12-12 02:21 PM
    Still no luck finding Netter's, but how about Dorland's Pocket Atlas of Anatomy? Deposit Files
    04-15-12 11:05 PM
    Still no luck with Netter's, but how about Dorland's Pocket Atlas of Anatomy? Deposit Files
    04-15-12 11:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD