So I just opened file manager to delete some things and free up some space and to my surprise there was a whole bunch of pictures that I had never saved sitting there taking up space. Come to find out the sideloaded version of words with friends is saving all the display pictures from my friends facebook. If you guys play wwf and need to free up space you might want to check this out.
    06-05-12 11:36 AM
    So I just opened file manager to delete some things and free up some space and to my surprise there was a whole bunch of pictures that I had never saved sitting there taking up space. Come to find out the sideloaded version of words with friends is saving all the display pictures from my friends facebook. If you guys play wwf and need to free up space you might want to check this out.
    ohhh crap, you know I noticed this but thought it was facebook cache or something! I didn't know it was words with friends.

Where can we find these files to delete?
    06-05-12 11:50 AM
    If you open file manager and choose the pictures tab you'll see all of them there. They're all saved as png images so if you search png it might help streamline the deletion process since you have to do it one by one.
    06-05-12 11:53 AM
    Yeah, my android converted Guardian newspaper app does this too. A PITA when you're "trying" to find a photo with the file manager.
    06-05-12 12:03 PM
    thanks for pointing this out! any way to view this from pc if hooked up with usb?
    06-05-12 12:05 PM
    any updates on this?
    06-05-12 11:09 PM
    I havent gotten around to checking since I really don't use my pc often anymore, but I'm just guessing that you should be able to see everything in desktop manager and delete from there.
    06-06-12 12:44 PM
    when using my android Eye-Fi app I saw all the peoples facebook photo's and i'm WTF!? lol
    06-06-12 01:01 PM
    You can find the images in misc\Android\Android\data\com.zynga.words\cache\FB Images

However, they will just be redownloaded the next time you load the app
    nappp likes this.
    06-06-12 01:15 PM
    You can find the images in misc\Android\Android\data\com.zynga.words\cache\FB Images

However, they will just be redownloaded the next time you load the app
    While I like the app...this is one reason for me to remove it. That and my wife quit playing and that was the only reason I loaded it ...
    06-06-12 01:27 PM
    I have thechive app loaded and you know the kind of pics on there. they were all saved. lol. thank you for showing me the location so I can clean them out!!
    06-06-12 03:52 PM
    Found a way to stop the images being saved!

EDIT: Much easier method than below.

Get Dingleberry from here: http://dingleberry.it/ (don't worry, this doesn't involve root in anyway)
    Download this script and put it in dingleberry's "Script" directory: wwffix.script
    Run Dingleberry and click the "Install/SSH" button. Click the "Click to select" button and choose the "wwffix.script" file you just put in the Scripts directory.
    The status box at the bottom will say "Installing script" and then "You are not root! Script failed". This is OK, don't panic
    Click the "Dingle SSH" button at the bottom of the window. A terminal window will appear (black box with white text).
    A couple of lines will appear about "jailbreak failed" - that's OK, ignore them
    You'll get a $ prompt. At this point type these three lines (wait for $ prompt again each time):
    Code:
    chmod 0755 shell.sh
    ./shell.sh
    rm shell.sh
    You can then close the SSH window and Dingleberry and (hopefully) Words With Friends will no longer save FB images

--ORIGINAL POST--

It's not the simplest process, but it's not extremely difficult. First off, you need to put your PB in development mode (shouldn't be a problem there seeing as you must have sideloaded the game )

Then, download this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ect-qt-644380/ - it's a utility called "Playbook Connect" by xsacha. You run it on your computer, enter your PB's IP and password and it'll make it possible to connect to your PB via SSH. (it's also possible to use Dingleberry if you already have that handy; doesn't require root, Dingleberry can make SSH possible without rooting)

Next, get WinSCP if you don't already have it. Get it here: WinSCP :: Free SFTP and FTP client for Windows

Install and run WinSCP. At the WinSCP login prompt, click "New". Enter your PB's IP for "Host name". Leave port as 22. Enter "devuser" as user name and your PB password as password. For "Private key file", navigate to where you have Playbook Connect and choose "rsa.ppk" from that folder. Click "Save" to save the session (makes it easier to connect in future if you want to) and then click "Login".

After a moment, a file browser will appear with two panes. On the left is your PC, on the right is your PB. On the right, double click the ".." at the top. You should now see two folders; "devuser" and "1000". Go into "1000". Then continue navigating through folders until you reach this path:

/accounts/1000/shared/misc/android/Android/data/com.zynga.words/cache

You will see a folder called "FBImages". Click on it and then press delete to delete the folder. Then press F7 or right click and select new>directory.

A dialog will appear. Name the folder FBImages.

Now the most important part: in the "Attributes" section of the dialog, tick the "Set Permissions" box. Then untick the "W" box on the first line (this should change the number in the box below the tick boxes to 0555). Click OK.

The app will no longer save the images!

(This is a slightly convoluted method, and there is bound to be a simpler way, but this is the only way I have succeeded in making a read-only folder so far)

EDIT: On second thoughts, this may not have been what stopped it. I had been playing about with the APK before trying to stop it, and as I was messing with this a little further, I deleted the read only folder, and launching the app again didn't cause images to be saved...Although I don't think any of the APK stuff I messed with worked. So I don't honestly know if this method I described here truly works or not. But there's no harm in trying
    Last edited by SifJar; 06-09-12 at 02:29 PM.
    06-09-12 01:38 PM
    Here's one that's worse - the WSJ android app does the same thing, but much worse. Far more pics dnloaded than WWF.
    06-10-12 06:21 AM
    I have thechive app loaded and you know the kind of pics on there. they were all saved. lol. thank you for showing me the location so I can clean them out!!
    How well does the chive app work? The browser checkerboarding even after the pages fully load drives me nuts.

Oh, KCCO
    06-10-12 10:13 PM
    How well does the chive app work? The browser checkerboarding even after the pages fully load drives me nuts.

Oh, KCCO
    lol. it has its good days and bad days. the content is always worth the headaches caused from the app
    06-10-12 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD