I was wondering when will they release skype on the PB or will they ever? i heared that it might come out on feb when they release 2.0 thanks
    12-29-11 05:05 PM
    Yes they will You're right, in February
    12-29-11 06:12 PM
    Let's hope so....

Am hoping Zinio, Spotify, and a few others are released soon after feb and OS2.0
    12-29-11 06:16 PM
    Let's hope so....

Am hoping Zinio, Spotify, and a few others are released soon after feb and OS2.0
    is there an exact date when there going to launch it?
    12-29-11 06:46 PM
    Unless some of the folks know something - no one knows if Skype will ever be released. OS2 is "scheduled" for sometime in Feb.
    12-29-11 10:02 PM
    this thread gets repeated like daily. It was leaked earlier that RIM will not have a version of skype because the licensing fee from Microsoft (who owns skype) to have a version of skype for PB would be too much.

Earlier leaked versions of skype for andriod player (no video just chat) did however work and maybe iterations of the andriod version of skype may work on the playbook.

Hoping its the last time i answer this question. Happy new years.
    12-29-11 11:34 PM
    RIM can afford to pay the licensing fees should it choose to do so. And quite frankly, it is good that these threads continue as it shows interest on the part of the actual users of the Playbook of what they are interested in. Each user should be emailing RIM and Skype repeatedly - preferablly from different email addresses - to indicate that they are interested in seeing a Skype app come to the Playbook.

Being silent and not indicating what your interested only results in one thing - nothing happening. Being vocal and indicating what you are interested in seeing only results in one thing too - possibilities.

Which would you rather do?
    FF22 and Lostlimit like this.
    12-29-11 11:47 PM
    i want a skype app really bad, i use it all the time on my computer and would make it so much easier to use it in my playbook
    12-30-11 12:37 AM
    probably not. unless rim pays them to do it
    12-30-11 01:16 AM
    It should be doable via Android player once the camera functionality is completed -- conceivably when 2.0 goes public. There will not likely be a native port for reasons that have been beaten to death.
    12-30-11 02:27 AM
    Is Skype really that important? Because I honestly don't know what the fuss is about... Pick up the phone and call or if Skype is really that important then by an Android or an iPad.
    12-30-11 03:15 AM
    Well licensing should not be that much of a problem as Bing Maps belongs to Microsoft as well.
    12-30-11 07:32 AM
    Well licensing should not be that much of a problem as Bing Maps belongs to Microsoft as well.
    Microsoft pays YOU go use bing stuff over google stuff, but for skype RIM would have to pay them! Big difference!
    12-30-11 11:00 AM
    Skype when you are away from you local area is great. My job takes me to the high arctic sometimes and when in hotels having skype on my Iphone is great......as is having it when travelling in the USA.

I would make use of it on PB.
    12-30-11 11:39 AM
    Is Skype really that important? Because I honestly don't know what the fuss is about... Pick up the phone and call or if Skype is really that important then by an Android or an iPad.
    Apparently it is. And while I don't use it, I would think if a company were
    To say something like, "if it's that important to you, just get a different tablet", people just might listen and, get a different tablet.

Not really good for business of your tablet.

War Is All We Know
    FF22 and Jist26 like this.
    12-30-11 11:57 AM
    Apparently it is. And while I don't use it, I would think if a company were
    To say something like, "if it's that important to you, just get a different tablet", people just might listen and, get a different tablet.

Not really good for business of your tablet.

War Is All We Know
    Well it is pretty clear that Skype are not going to be making an app available on the BlackBerry platform any time soon which in turn means that RIM would have to develop it on their own and pay licence fees.

So, if Skype is really that important wouldn't it be better to get a device on a platform which is actually supported? I did not say RIM should adopt that attitude but rather the consumers who actually use the devices. I mean there are a plethora of tablets around...
    12-30-11 02:09 PM
    I was wondering when will they release skype on the PB or will they ever? i heared that it might come out on feb when they release 2.0 thanks
    http://www.imo.im/

no problem!
    01-25-12 12:20 PM
    Hi, I am organizing a mass email campaign, that on February 1st, we will all email the Skype CEO and the Skype Vice President, with the subject line "Skype for the Blackberry Playbook". Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...itment-691875/

We also have a Facebook event page, however please make sure that if you're with us, you both join the facebook page and comment on the Crackberry thread. Thanks! Facebook Page: Skype Petition and Email Campaign | Facebook

Please leave your negativity at the door. Post on the thread if you intend to take part, and feel free to read the longer explanation and use the basic email provided rather than composing your own, if that is easier for you. Only post if you're with us, we do not need any posts telling us it is a moronic endeavor.

Please know that I am not attempting to spam, but only posting on threads where it seems appropriate, and like the users monitoring said thread may be interested.
    01-26-12 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD