I currently have 2100 contacts linked to the contact application. No issues here. Initial OTA load took a while.

People dont seem to realize that if your contacts are on the local database of your BlackBerry, they are indeed local. Wirelessly synchronizing those requires something wireless, (gmail for instance). As you do not want this to be an option in this case, your best bet would be to manually add them. The PlayBook does not allow for PIM synchronization (at this point), but going forward this will be added. (my guess is to DM)
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 09-06-12 at 07:36 AM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    09-06-12 06:34 AM
    I want to transfer my current contacts database to the Playbook, and understand there seems to be just no way apart feeding them all to Google (which I just won't do).

So, I contemplate the long, painful effort to do it more or less by hand, for more than 1000 contacts.

Before going to this, I scanned the App world for workarounds; the only one I found was Personal Assistant, a nice german package which indeed can gulp and import this amount of data in the form of .vcf files, but then it seems to handle them as as many separate small .vcf files, which slows it quite a lot. Kudos for its cool demo version anyway.

My question is the following: what indeed is the "scalability" of Blackberry's own Contacts app, when it comes to 1000s of emails?

Can someone confirm that even with that many addresses, Contacts launches instantly, sorts instantly, etc?

(of course, any related info concerning e. g. the next system update's capability to import .vcfs, etc. would definitely be welcome too!)

TIA!
    Herv�
    Last edited by Herve5; 09-06-12 at 06:54 AM.
    09-06-12 06:50 AM
    Did CrackBerry's database just screw up and file the OP's question as the second post in the thread, while Sith_Apprentice's response became the first?

Weird...
    09-06-12 08:01 AM
    I currently have 2100 contacts linked to the contact application. No issues here. Initial OTA load took a while.

People dont seem to realize that if your contacts are on the local database of your BlackBerry, they are indeed local. Wirelessly synchronizing those requires something wireless, (gmail for instance). As you do not want this to be an option in this case, your best bet would be to manually add them. The PlayBook does not allow for PIM synchronization (at this point), but going forward this will be added. (my guess is to DM)
    First, thank you for confirming Contacts indeed is 'fluent'.
    What you add also does interest me: it seems if you have your contacts on a BB phone you can transfer them on the PB. While I don't have a BB phone I may definitely consider buying the lowest-priced one if this would solve the issue.
    Do you know by any chance if a large .vcf file can be easily uploaded to the 'minimal BB phone' with the usual BB tools?

Thanks again in any way!
    H.
    09-06-12 08:19 AM
    Did CrackBerry's database just screw up and file the OP's question as the second post in the thread, while Sith_Apprentice's response became the first?

Weird...
    I remember reediting my post in the minute after I wrote it for a clerical mistake: maybe Sith_Apprentice was reacting just at the same time??
    09-06-12 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD