If you pay for an app on OS7 and then want it on PBOS you need to pay for it again. Right?

So how about if you buy a PBOS app, will you need to buy it again on OS10? Or will you be able to redownload it for free?
    02-19-12 03:49 PM
    i believe they should be free, PBOS to BB10

OS 7 to PB is another story. They only app that I've had transfer is Fruits and Ninja.
    rexxenex likes this.
    02-19-12 03:50 PM
    Apps on OS7 run on a different OS.... PB runs on QNX and that is what the new BB10 will have on the phones. I can not say at this time if Playbook Apps will all run on BB10 phones, as it's not even out yet.

Patience grasshopper... we are all waiting..
    02-19-12 03:57 PM
    i doubt apps optimized for the tablet will be directly usable on phones, given the many different screen sizes, unless there is something in the sdks that allows auto scaling for screens.

apps for os7 shouldn't run on the playbook at all.
    02-19-12 04:00 PM
    If they work yeah, but I don't have a single app that's compatible with my
    Playbook since its a different OS.
    I'm pretty sure the Playbook apps will work on the BB10.
    02-19-12 04:01 PM
    some apps are compatible yes.. but most are not. They are completely different OS's.. its not like OS6 to OS7.
    02-19-12 04:03 PM
    i doubt apps optimized for the tablet will be directly usable on phones, given the many different screen sizes, unless there is something in the sdks that allows auto scaling for screens.

apps for os7 shouldn't run on the playbook at all.
    I believe BB10 phones will have the same resolution as the PB. I remember reading something along these lines some time ago.

In any case, if the OS doesn't currently support scalability, I believe, by the time BB10 is released, there is a good chance there will be such support.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-19-12 04:09 PM
    The publishers can choose. It is currently possible to have one purchase for both BB and PB versions of the app. The different devices just get different downloads of the same app.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 02-19-12 at 06:12 PM.
    02-19-12 06:09 PM
    I believe BB10 phones will have the same resolution as the PB. I remember reading something along these lines some time ago.

In any case, if the OS doesn't currently support scalability, I believe, by the time BB10 is released, there is a good chance there will be such support.
    I've heard the same. I believe the plan is that the first phone released will have the same resolution, though they are exploring others for subsequent releases. (And, of course, things may always turn out different by then.)

I also don't see think there will be any major problem, because of the possibility of automatic scaling as well as developers getting advance notice so they can choose to release updates that will work for a second resolution.

Note that RIM's strategy with this new platform is to minimize the number of different combinations we have to support, so it's likely we won't again see the same issue as BB7 where there are many different resolutions.
    02-19-12 06:29 PM
    i believe they should be free, PBOS to BB10

OS 7 to PB is another story. They only app that I've had transfer is Fruits and Ninja.
    Thanks! Didnt even know it was made for 0S7 devices! Installing it now on my 9900!!!
    02-19-12 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD