And the other issue - multitasking functionality is sure to be reduced with the Android Player, unless they allow multiple instances to be launched.
    As QNX can run processor threads independently, I don't see why multitasking shouldn't be possible. The only constraint would be resources available for processing.
    09-25-11 02:13 AM
    I think 2 years from now no major developer will be building new apps on proprietary technologies unless they are developing a high end graphic intensive games and most of them would take the route of open technologies and wide embraced ones like HTML5, Javascript and Java etc for the sake of cross platform porting. For example take the instance of Scoremobile on blackberry playbook which is completely built on HTML5 and Javascript and it was ported as is into Apple Ipad.
    09-25-11 02:15 AM
    Um, that sounds incorrect. Are you implying that the hundreds of Android apps people were downloading from the Android Marketplace and successfully running on the leaked Playbook Android player (in August) were not written using the Android NDK?
    The point of porting Android to run on QNX is that it will run Android apps.
    Android NDK is C/C++, mostly C, limited to some low level functions, or that require performance (games, graphic intensive), or something that can't be done with the SDK. The NDK runs native code from linux, which is C, specially the kernel. Therefore, it wont run on the playbook, regardless of how many compilations you make, as it depends on the kernel.

The SDK runs the java syntax over a virtual machine and is the "most" widely used as its more ample in its API.

If i understand right, from how it works, the dalvik vm is very light, and can run multiple instances with good memory efficiency. The playbook wont have problems as long as its the vm the one they use. If they are virtualizing linux, then it may be a memory hog.
    Last edited by gbsn; 09-25-11 at 05:11 AM.
    09-25-11 05:01 AM
    I wonder to myself sometimes if part of the reason we haven't seen some of the major apps on the PB is because of lazy developers waiting for the Android Player. I think it was a mistake for RIM to announce it, especially since they had no intention to deliver it until after devCON. I think it has stagnated app development for the device. I really can't blame the developers, if two clowns running a company tell the world this device will run Android apps, and I have an Android app, why re-invent the wheel just wait for the player. They shouldn't have announced Android Player until devCon. I think RIM should hire two large body guards that follow Mike and Jim and anytime one of them opens their mouth they get punched in the face. They are their own worst enemy.
    stopping making good sense, you are confusing too many people on this board
    09-25-11 05:38 AM
    I wonder to myself sometimes if part of the reason we haven't seen some of the major apps on the PB is because of lazy developers waiting for the Android Player. I think it was a mistake for RIM to announce it, especially since they had no intention to deliver it until after devCON. I think it has stagnated app development for the device. I really can't blame the developers, if two clowns running a company tell the world this device will run Android apps, and I have an Android app, why re-invent the wheel just wait for the player. They shouldn't have announced Android Player until devCon. I think RIM should hire two large body guards that follow Mike and Jim and anytime one of them opens their mouth they get punched in the face. They are their own worst enemy.
    They're actually doing the devs a favour by making it easy to package their android apps for PB. Yes its in RIM interest to but is does sound easy.
    Of course apps written using Androids NDK won't work with PB's Android player so those apps need to be reprogramed using QNX Tablet NDK, if possible. Since it isn't out yet there is no difference. Plus android apps are java, PB is Flash/Air/AS. I'm wondering, do lazy developers really know this many languages???

And why would you be making excuses for "lazy" developers. Their programs are probably glitchy anyway so who cares.

The problem is its taking a long time to arrive. Maybe lnichols can go up to Waterloo and show them how its done
    Last edited by dentynefire; 09-25-11 at 04:17 PM.
    09-25-11 04:15 PM
    They're actually doing the devs a favour by making it easy to package their android apps for PB. Yes its in RIM interest to but is does sound easy.
    Of course apps written using Androids NDK won't work with PB's Android player so those apps need to be reprogramed using QNX Tablet NDK, if possible. Since it isn't out yet there is no difference. Plus android apps are java, PB is Flash/Air/AS. I'm wondering, do lazy developers really know this many languages???

And why would you be making excuses for "lazy" developers. Their programs are probably glitchy anyway so who cares.

The problem is its taking a long time to arrive. Maybe lnichols can go up to Waterloo and show them how its done
    Lazy was an extremely poor choice of words on my part. If I were a developer and was told that I could port my existing Android and Blackberry apps in, I would wait too and be busy working on other apps that could be ported over, that is whenever RIM decided to get their sh!t together. That's not laziness, it is smart business.
    09-25-11 08:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD