Perhaps this has been asked before... There are some games (like those from Union) that says they does not support OS2.0, but most other apps and games didn't say anything about OS2.0 support. Will RIM make sure all the apps in the AppWorld now will still works when OS2.0 comes out?

I am not too worry about the app from big publisher like EA, but for those from individual developers or small publishers, those never got any updated since they were released. Will RIM do anything if the developer has already abandon their apps? Or should we just wait for OS2.0 comes out before buying paid app? Thanks.
    02-04-12 10:01 AM
    I would say yes it should work.
    02-04-12 10:41 AM
    RIM has given a deadline for all developers to test their apps against OS2 bata. they must submit any necessary updates to RIM by Feb 6 (or 7) so that they can be approved in time for OS2 launch.
    02-04-12 04:37 PM
    A bit of a thing here too. Not all app providers will update their apps. Watch comments like a hawk. I know a bunch of apps that have OS2 problems that have no signs of being updated.
    02-04-12 08:23 PM
    its totally up in the air. I know Eternal Legacy, a RPG by Gameloft, is not supported in the OS2 beta. its completely up to the devs if they update in time for the launch.
    02-04-12 09:59 PM
    If you have an app which you know doesn't work on the beta you can just use the support email to contact the vendor and encourage them to make it work for 2.0.

RIM has nothing to do with it... they've already told developers the deadline to submit fixes if they want to ensure their apps are ready for the 2.0 release. Beyond that they're not going to baby anyone about it...
    louzer and BuzzStarField like this.
    02-04-12 10:05 PM
    I'm expecting my Gameloft game selection to take a nose dive. They're bad for updates and don't appear interested in supporting playbooks beyond the initial games they gave us

I find it ironic that as far as gaming on the PB is concerned, OS2 will wind up giving me less selection rather than more. I hope I'm wrong but gameloft doesn't have a very good update record.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 02-04-12 at 11:47 PM.
    02-04-12 11:44 PM
    The only reason I am not using the beta right now is because let's play golf 2 and a slew of other games do not function. I want 2.0 real bad but at the same time my selection of games is going to become non existent. I will be playing console emulators more than anything I suppose. It is crazy that gameloft does not even mention on it's website that it supports the playbook. I wonder why the playbook is being treated like a red headed step child?
    02-04-12 11:50 PM
    Apparently we only have the gameloft games we have because RIM bought them and gameloft themselves aren't developing for the PB. So everyone thinks they are and there's nobody asking about it on gameloft's website.

If what I suspect is possible we're about to see all those games go kaput in a few weeks. Then you'll see the demands start on gameloft's forums. By then it'll be too late and gameloft typically takes months to catch up. There goes 90% of my tablet gaming. Like I said I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-05-12 02:32 AM
    RIM has nothing to do with it... they've already told developers the deadline to submit fixes if they want to ensure their apps are ready for the 2.0 release. Beyond that they're not going to baby anyone about it...
    Pete and Buzz, you guys seem to agree on this. One question though.
    Will appworld be wiped clean and then only the "2.0 compatible" apps will be allowed?
    Or will they just leave everything as is and we consumers will have to take our chances with an app being compatible?
    02-05-12 09:25 AM
    Apparently we only have the gameloft games we have because RIM bought them and gameloft themselves aren't developing for the PB. So everyone thinks they are and there's nobody asking about it on gameloft's website.

If what I suspect is possible we're about to see all those games go kaput in a few weeks. Then you'll see the demands start on gameloft's forums. By then it'll be too late and gameloft typically takes months to catch up. There goes 90% of my tablet gaming. Like I said I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    Now I am really worry. I have bought almost all games released by EA and Gameloft, and these games are NOT cheap. I noticed EA updated some of their games recently (like monopoly last week), but there is nothing from Gameloft. So now it seems like there is a high chance I will lost a big part of my investiment on PB. Sad
    02-05-12 10:43 AM
    Pete and Buzz, you guys seem to agree on this. One question though.
    Will appworld be wiped clean and then only the "2.0 compatible" apps will be allowed?
    Or will they just leave everything as is and we consumers will have to take our chances with an app being compatible?
    It will be largely "buyer beware".

RIM doesn't know which apps don't work, and they're not about to manually test each one.

Users' primary recourse will be to check the reviews before purchasing, watching for reports of problems with 2.0. Also check the forums, obviously.

If you do buy an app and it doesn't work on 2.0, and you're pretty sure it did on 1.0.8, you should contact the developer right away. They should pull their app off of App World until they can fix it.

If you do contact them, and don't get a response almost immediately (within one working day), I'd definitely leave a negative review clearly noting the problem, to warn other users. Generally reviews shouldn't be used for problem reports (as the developer has no way to contact you to clarify the issue) but this would be a case where that's fair game.

RIM has given us lots of time to test our apps under the 2.0 beta (that being, after all, the sole purpose of the beta!) so developers who aren't prepared have no excuse. Give 'em heck if they're going to ignore the platform like this.

That said, be reasonable: the 2.0 release will certainly break one or two things unexpectedly, in ways we couldn't discover with the beta, and some few developers will be caught by surprise. Don't be rude about it, but expect fast results, and expect the developer to temporarily pull the app off App World immediately and until they can fix the problem.
    02-05-12 11:02 AM
    That said, be reasonable: the 2.0 release will certainly break one or two things unexpectedly, in ways we couldn't discover with the beta, and some few developers will be caught by surprise. Don't be rude about it, but expect fast results, and expect the developer to temporarily pull the app off App World immediately and until they can fix the problem.
    Thanks for setting expectations so clearly. The above paragraph bears repeating.
    02-05-12 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD