I submitted an app a week ago and it is still waiting to be reviewed :/
    When I update the NEWEST app list on my Playbook it only shows an addition of 10-20 apps (at most) per day.
    This is not good.
    At first I thought that the reason we didn't have apps is because people weren't developing, now I know it's because the approval process is dreadfully slow!
    06-20-11 01:17 PM
    There is a growing evidence that this is the case and I believe it to be true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 02:19 PM
    That doesnt really equate to why we dont have a lot of apps. Most app are approved within the 2 week window. Logically if they are approving in 2 weeks then there isnt that much of a backlog if 10-20 are coming through per day, that means over a 2 week period there were 100-200 apps submitted. So if they approved everything in the queue today, we'd have what possibly 200 more apps?

Not sure I follow your logic on this one.
    06-20-11 03:02 PM
    That doesnt really equate to why we dont have a lot of apps. Most app are approved within the 2 week window. Logically if they are approving in 2 weeks then there isnt that much of a backlog if 10-20 are coming through per day, that means over a 2 week period (10 business days) there were 100-200 apps submitted. So if they approved everything in the queue today, we'd have what possibly 200 more apps?
    Exactly. The low number of new apps probably has little to do with the approval rate.

I am wondering if the announcement of android support scared off potential developers...
    06-20-11 03:06 PM
    My logic is that it sucks that the approval process is slow.
    06-20-11 03:12 PM
    uhm.. k then...

This is why we don't have a lot of apps...
    06-20-11 03:14 PM
    Exactly. The low number of new apps probably has little to do with the approval rate.

I am wondering if the announcement of android support scared off potential developers...
    I think a lot of developers are waiting for the android player or java player so they dont have to write their apps twice
    06-20-11 03:15 PM
    i pray you never attempt to submit a theme to at+t`s store (part of mobihand store) as so far iv been waiting TWO MONTHS yea, ya read that right, 60 days! and thats `normal`.

its worth pointing out to your main point of `a week is too long` is that apple are around the same, and the appworld documentation expressly states 5-10 days. i find 8 is the average time tbh.

all this aside though the `wait` time doesnt at all relate to number of apps available.
    06-20-11 03:19 PM
    uhm.. k then...

I don't understand why its so hard for you to understand.
    If you don't agree, that's fine, but no reason to be a ******.
    If it was faster we would have more apps that we currently don't. That's all i'm getting to.
    06-20-11 03:28 PM
    Personally, I would rather the approval time gave RIM the chance to properly test ans asses each app rather than flood the market with bug-ridden, half finished apps which dont work. I found this to be the case with the Android tablet I tested before buying the PB and it drove me nuts. My 2c
    06-20-11 04:24 PM
    Personally, I would rather the approval time gave RIM the chance to properly test ans asses each app rather than flood the market with bug-ridden, half finished apps which dont work. I found this to be the case with the Android tablet I tested before buying the PB and it drove me nuts. My 2c
    That is a good point, especially since many of the apps worth downloading cost money. I don't want to pay for an app that doesn't work and then not even have a way to get my money back.

It seems like Playbook devs charge more for apps, but I think this is mostly because there isn't a way to include ads (yet) and they are charging a premium because there is a lack of choice right now.
    06-20-11 04:29 PM
    That doesnt really equate to why we dont have a lot of apps. Most app are approved within the 2 week window. Logically if they are approving in 2 weeks then there isnt that much of a backlog if 10-20 are coming through per day, that means over a 2 week period there were 100-200 apps submitted. So if they approved everything in the queue today, we'd have what possibly 200 more apps?

Not sure I follow your logic on this one.
    Are you sure that most are being approved in a 2 week window? And how many is "most"? If it doesn't hold that the number being reviewed each day are at least as many as the number being submitted each day then there is a growing backlog of apps not yet reviewed.
    06-20-11 04:33 PM
    IM+ was submitted nearly a month ago. Probably will be expensive as ****, but still it is pretty freaking ridiculous that it hasn't been approved yet given the number of IM apps that are available (none, outside of Facebook).
    trsbbs likes this.
    06-20-11 05:11 PM
    IM+ was submitted nearly a month ago. Probably will be expensive as ****, but still it is pretty freaking ridiculous that it hasn't been approved yet given the number of IM apps that are available (none, outside of Facebook).
    IM+ is the best example so far of WTF is going on with App World for PB. I really want this app.
    06-20-11 05:56 PM
    all apps that tend to accomplish things that RIM is lacking on seem to never get approved. aMail isnt out there yet although im now pretty sure RIM is NOT to blame for that one. But neither is the other email app from pepper.pk or whatever. IM+ and another Live messenger app arent released yet, a BBM alternative. How many contact or calender apps have made it thru RIM testing? It all seems sadly suspicious.
    semicoln and trsbbs like this.
    06-20-11 06:22 PM
    Seems like folks are catching on to the game RIM is playing with the apps..

Tim
    06-20-11 06:34 PM
    all apps that tend to accomplish things that RIM is lacking on seem to never get approved. aMail isnt out there yet although im now pretty sure RIM is NOT to blame for that one. But neither is the other email app from pepper.pk or whatever. IM+ and another Live messenger app arent released yet, a BBM alternative. How many contact or calender apps have made it thru RIM testing? It all seems sadly suspicious.
    but there are contact and calendar apps, debate how good/bad/indifferent they are all ya want but they are there at least.

just seems to be the same ol tin foil hat moaning as the last time. gets old real fast
    06-20-11 07:56 PM
    Honestly, it sounds they are under staffed.
    06-20-11 08:43 PM
    I mean, I suppose the logic is there -- it just doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't really consider IM+ a BBM alternative but even if it was -- it's not like it would cost RIM anything. Since Shape will probably charge upwards of $10-20 (which people will still more than likely pay for) RIM can only gain.
    06-20-11 09:21 PM

I Think maybe the reason RIM is holding back on certain apps like IM and live messenger apps is maybe because they are planning to add these features through Blackberry bridge in an upcoming update as an option. Or is currently trying to develop a better user experience for Live messengers before they approve those apps. Why approve them now if they wont work properly or the upcoming features aren't there..Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to have the choice of bridging WLM from your blackberry like bbm or to just use the native app via wifi for time when you dont have access to your bb. Just a thought. I dont think it really has anything to do with trying to eliminate competition for bbm. Why would they still allow it on bb phones, if they were trying to eliminate competition for bbm?
    06-20-11 10:55 PM
    Most people think that they arent release apps fast enough based on the fact that the apps they want havent hit the market yet (For Example Skype, WLM, IM+, Epub Readers, Etc...) There are still plenty of apps out there being released. The other day i was looking through appworld and found some nice apps that i never seen before under the 'Newest Apps'. But seemed like awesome hidden Gems. Just have a little patience they will come with time.
    06-20-11 11:11 PM
    Most people think that they arent release apps fast enough based on the fact that the apps they want havent hit the market yet (For Example Skype, WLM, IM+, Epub Readers, Etc...) There are still plenty of apps out there being released. The other day i was looking through appworld and found some nice apps that i never seen before under the 'Newest Apps'. But seemed like awesome hidden Gems. Just have a little patience they will come with time.
    Yeah but it seems like what they are putting out is the "low hanging fruit", stuff that is easy to test and verify while more complicated apps like IM+ just drag on and on
    06-21-11 01:00 AM
    They need to separate the crap apps from the actuall good ones. Maybe have two markets one for quality and get approved fast and one for dumb apps that takes years and years for approval.
    06-21-11 01:52 AM
    The most suitable reasons for this are:

So far you only have Flash and HTML for playing around AND:

You can't do much with HTML, so far HTML applications source codes can be viewed, copied, cloned...

You only have Flash left to play, however, PlayBook OS still renders very badly graphics and effects in Flash. Some so damn cool games from youdagames.com are not working smoothly, same for some others too.

And you know what? the most powerful stuff should be C/C++ and Java are still queuing. C/C++ is extremely cool thing which you can find on iPhone, iPad...

That's why developers out there like me are waiting for the NDK to port their cool and hard works to PlayBook without starting over again every single line of codes.

This is same for RIM for native robust email, bbm, task, calendar... clients.

And when many kinds of applications can be handled, the approval processes time could get longer and longer since huge amount of apps will be submitted.

Anyway, when most of the main parts are in the right place. You won't ever be able to image how much stuff the PlayBook could do.

But if RIM can't get those main parts into the right place, then it sucks. And PlayBook will die anyway or it must be cheaper and cheaper :P
    06-21-11 11:23 PM
    Yeah but it seems like what they are putting out is the "low hanging fruit", stuff that is easy to test and verify while more complicated apps like IM+ just drag on and on
    maybe IM+ and other apps did not get approval because of glitches or security holes. or would you rather just have rim approve everything and give us more to complain about. id rather have to wait for a stable version of an app then have a half baked one or end up losing allmy contact info and phone numbers becauze rim didnt do a through enough job checking to see if the security was good on an app.

no matter what you can never satisfy everyone.
    06-22-11 06:11 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD