Not to whine, but to understand better: Why are RIM apps on the Playbook (and also even on phones) not made available for everyone, regardless of the country?
    As I read around CrackBerry, I'm finding out about more and more about RIM apps that are just great. However, it's frustrating to get a message on appworld informing me that the app is "Unavailable for my device profile".
    Sure, maybe talking about BlackBerry Traffic, considerations like how extensive the directions and routes are set-up in other countries would be crucial. However, talking about BlackBerry News where content is accessed by the app from the internet, I just can't help but ask: What other considerations for countries are there for News, other than maybe language?? Am I missing out on something here?
    If the app is supposed to download content from the same source (the website on the internet) and deliver it to the end-consumer via his Playbook...what difference does it make if the person is from the US or Canada, UK, or Zimbabwe? Users pay for their own internet connection (or access free wifi hotspots)...so why not extend the same "convenience" to everyone? Why be selective?
    Sorry if this seems like a rant. It's not. I'm a very open-minded person when it comes to things...so long as they're founded on valid and sound logic or rationale.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts. I feel I may not be seeing the entire picture clearly.
    deocamdata likes this.
    12-30-11 09:04 PM
    Some possibilities:

1. Government restrictions (e.g security regulations, encryption bans, national firewalls, privacy legislation)
    2. Copyright restrictions
    3. Developer choice e.g..(provides support only for certain languages)
    4. Services available in certain countries
    5. Apps may be of local interest only
    12-30-11 09:25 PM
    Are you also restricted from going to say... CNN on the browser or other news sites?
    apg300 likes this.
    12-30-11 10:09 PM
    Could also be the OS version on the device..
    apg300 likes this.
    12-30-11 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Funny thing is I can pretty much access everything on the web. Yes, using my Playbook browser, I can access CNN, BBC, Reuters, and lets not forget my personal favorite...Crackberry! I know I can just simply go directly to the site using my Playbook, but it sure would be much more convenient if RIM apps like BlackBerry News (and others) were also made available to Playbook owners who aren't from the US or Canada. After all, we pretty much paid the same price anyway, right?
    Oh, and about the OS version, I'm running .6067 on my Playbook.
    Maybe I should give BlackBerry Support a call. Maybe I can get them to do something. Wish me luck! Thanks again for your replies. I'll provide an update on this thread once I have noteworthy ones.
    12-31-11 06:08 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Funny thing is I can pretty much access everything on the web. Yes, using my Playbook browser, I can access CNN, BBC, Reuters, and lets not forget my personal favorite...Crackberry! I know I can just simply go directly to the site using my Playbook, but it sure would be much more convenient if RIM apps like BlackBerry News (and others) were also made available to Playbook owners who aren't from the US or Canada. After all, we pretty much paid the same price anyway, right?
    Oh, and about the OS version, I'm running .6067 on my Playbook.
    Maybe I should give BlackBerry Support a call. Maybe I can get them to do something. Wish me luck! Thanks again for your replies. I'll provide an update on this thread once I have noteworthy ones.
    Dapper37 and apg300 like this.
    12-31-11 06:20 AM
    Apps are OS dependent, the PlayBook uses QNX OS while the BlackBerrys use BB OS. I think the lack of BB OS 7 applications is because app developers have decided not to waste time upgrading their apps to OS 7 since it's going to be replaced with QNX OS next year. BB OS 7 is an interim OS developed to improve on OS 6, but why would developers waste the time redeveloping their apps for an OS that is going to be dead within a year. Frustrating I know, I have an OS 7 device myself and often wish the popular apps I had on my OS 6 device worked on OS 7, but I can understand the developers decisions not to develop for OS 7.
    12-31-11 07:37 AM
    just wanted to get blackberry traffic on my 9700 and one the normal website the message says:

"The Item is not available for your Device Model, Device OS, Carrier and Country combination."

so those must be the factors that play a part
    03-22-12 11:47 AM
    I pretty much don't care for apps on my BB but I am gonna go loco if I don't get apps for the PB.

If PB is essentially an extremely sample version of BB10, maybe RIM needs to market the PB as a "gateway" to BB10 .... At least we get more apps and more devs to attract
    03-22-12 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD