It's been days now since I was able to download anything from App World.

I know I can probably fix it by deleting wi-fi networks (how do you do that on the Playbook) or something else, but why should I?

People want devices that just work without having to mess around fixing stuff that SHOULD work.

I don't want a gazzilion apps but I DO want to be able to get apps when I want them and update when I want without having to fix the darn thing first.

And I'm still p****d off that RIM feel it is right to rip UK users off by charging �1 for a 99 cent app. It's a rip-off.

And as for that spinning egg-timer on the phones, I'm sick of seeing it. There's many a time I get my 9900 out and have to wait over a minute whilst it sorts its brain out.

I've been with RIM since the early 00s, and every time I upgrade it is to the best Blackberry that's out, but I have to say that if they don't SERIOUSLY hit the ball out of the park with BB10 I will be moving on.
    05-20-12 06:45 PM
    Yes, delete ur saved WiFi, restart PlayBook, and then try again.
    Too bad about the price, we are lucky I guess, coz $0.99 apps is $0.75 in my Country.
    05-20-12 06:51 PM
    I'm sorry you're frustrated. I understand that you want your Playbook to "self-heal" but that's not going to happen. Either you fix the problem yourself or you live with the inability to download from App World. It's that simple.

I had to delete my wifi a week or so ago for the first time since getting my PB last November. It took about 6 minutes, 3 of which were boot-up. It's scarcely a Herculean task. I wish all my computer related problems were so easily remedied. I've operated computers for about 30 years and have never encountered a computer that didn't require some sort of correction to restore proper operation.

I can understand your frustration over the price but according to friends of mine in England, it's a common practise and not isolated to RIM. Have you asked why the prices are 1:1 rather than according to exchange rates?

Hope your venting helped you feel better.
    05-20-12 07:09 PM
    Get it all out and you will feel better.
    You have to fix the issue with your PlayBook, go to setting and find your Internet settings and ensure they are correct.
    Phone problem may need to go to the shop for adjustments.
    Don't bet the farm on BB10 it is going to have some issues and it will take time to fix.
    If this is stressing you out this much than perhaps you should get yourself another non-BlackBerry device. Don't want to see you leave but if this bothers you that much than do what you have to.
    taylor96 likes this.
    05-20-12 07:22 PM
    I have same problem and haven't been able to resolve it by deleting wifi networks.

I'm collaborating with RIM to work out the issue.
    05-20-12 07:25 PM
    And I'm still p****d off that RIM feel it is right to rip UK users off by charging �1 for a 99 cent app. It's a rip-off.
    I suggest you express your thoughts in writing to Thorsten Heins, Chief Executive Officer, and Frank Boulben, Chief Marketing Officer, about the BlackBerry AppWorld pricing for UK residents where the GBP is the currency. Remind them of the need to remain "laser focused" on the needs and concerns of their customers. Heck, call Research In Motion and request the email addresses of these senior executives; you know their email is filtered through their executive assistants so please be polite.
    05-20-12 07:33 PM
    Check your credit!
    05-20-12 09:54 PM
    My daughter has the OP's problem(s) as well.............with her iPad and iPhone; small world, isn't it?
    yoshipro101 likes this.
    05-20-12 09:59 PM
    i'm sorry you're frustrated... but to label "Why RIM are failing" is kinda much isnt it? *shrug*

Give those good tips these guys suggested, u'll be up and running in no time.
    taylor96 likes this.
    05-20-12 10:38 PM
    At least our PlayBook's problems are easy to fix... seen iPad users get really frustrated over some minor application (main screen freezing not being able to acces any app) and when I told them to hard reset their pad they were very confused

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    05-20-12 11:09 PM
    Zzzzzz....
    05-20-12 11:49 PM

I know I can probably fix it by deleting wi-fi networks (how do you do that on the Playbook) or something else, but why should I?

People want devices that just work without having to mess around fixing stuff that SHOULD work.

I don't want a gazzilion apps but I DO want to be able to get apps when I want them and update when I want without having to fix the darn thing first.

And as for that spinning egg-timer on the phones, I'm sick of seeing it. There's many a time I get my 9900 out and have to wait over a minute whilst it sorts its brain out.

I've been with RIM since the early 00s, and every time I upgrade it is to the best Blackberry that's out, but I have to say that if they don't SERIOUSLY hit the ball out of the park with BB10 I will be moving on.
    we get charged with vat included, the 0.99 cent price is without tax which will be added after. So we probably get it cheaper.
    05-21-12 05:56 AM
    My daughter has the OP's problem(s) as well.............with her iPad and iPhone; small world, isn't it?
    SARCASM ALERT
    Your daughter is trying to access Blackberry AppWorld with an An Apple iPhone and iPad? Maybe you need to give her some quality "BlackBerry time."
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-21-12 06:11 AM
    Your tagline, "BlackBerry...for those who do. For those who don't, or can't, there's everything else," should be imprinted on the packaging of every BlackBerry product. It could be a footnote in all advertising as well.
    Spencerdl and alnamvet68 like this.
    05-21-12 06:15 AM
    Your tagline, "BlackBerry...for those who do. For those who don't, or can't, there's everything else," should be imprinted on the packaging of every BlackBerry product. It could be a footnote in all advertising as well.
    I've got that copyrighted as well; RIM, pay it forward bro's.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    05-21-12 06:25 AM
    we get charged with vat included, the 0.99 cent price is without tax which will be added after. So we probably get it cheaper.
    $1 USD is currently 63GBP. If you add 20% VAT the price of a $1 app should be �0.76. The last app I purchased through a US proxy appworld charged me 15% sales tax.

Itunes charge either 64 or 69p for a $1 app, from what I remember. Google Play does the currency conversion on the fly, so you pay exactly what the app creator asks for.

In other words - the UK gets screwed when it comes to app pricing on appworld, but less so with Itunes and Google Play. I buy my apps through a proxy. Interestingly, the OP's problem with appworld not working you also see when you have used a proxy and then remove the proxy details. You always need to remove the wifi AP and add it again to get appworld working.
    05-21-12 06:34 AM
    I'm sorry you're frustrated. I understand that you want your Playbook to "self-heal" but that's not going to happen. Either you fix the problem yourself or you live with the inability to download from App World. It's that simple.

I can understand your frustration over the price but according to friends of mine in England, it's a common practise and not isolated to RIM. Have you asked why the prices are 1:1 rather than according to exchange rates?

Hope your venting helped you feel better.
    I know what you mean about 'self healing' and as a long term computer veteren (25 years) I've done my time in the trenches :-)

I just figure that today's technology users don't want to fiddle with stuff as we were so used to doing. They want stuff that just works. And RIM seems to think people are happy to tinker to get stuff working. I don't think they are.

No technology device is perfect, but RIMs kit does seem to be a little buggy. That said, I've been using it for a decade so I'm used to its foibles, but your typical user won't be.

As for the pricing I think RIM needs to take a lead for the market leader (Apple) who is NOT doing a $1=�1 con on UK users and hasn't for several years. When I am in Europe the conversion price is correct (i.e. $s to Euros) so how come they can't get it correct for UK users?

And yes, I feel better for venting :-)
    sagec likes this.
    05-21-12 07:05 AM
    I suggest you express your thoughts in writing to Thorsten Heins, Chief Executive Officer, and Frank Boulben, Chief Marketing Officer, about the BlackBerry AppWorld pricing for UK residents where the GBP is the currency. Remind them of the need to remain "laser focused" on the needs and concerns of their customers. Heck, call Research In Motion and request the email addresses of these senior executives; you know their email is filtered through their executive assistants so please be polite.
    I think you're right.

I really want to see RIM succeed (heck I've got about 10k in their stock at a big loss) and it is these little things that add up to user dissatisfaction.

Thanks!
    05-21-12 07:08 AM
    I know what you mean about 'self healing' and as a long term computer veteren (25 years) I've done my time in the trenches :-)

I just figure that today's technology users don't want to fiddle with stuff as we were so used to doing. They want stuff that just works. And RIM seems to think people are happy to tinker to get stuff working. I don't think they are.

No technology device is perfect, but RIMs kit does seem to be a little buggy. That said, I've been using it for a decade so I'm used to its foibles, but your typical user won't be.

As for the pricing I think RIM needs to take a lead for the market leader (Apple) who is NOT doing a $1=�1 con on UK users and hasn't for several years. When I am in Europe the conversion price is correct (i.e. $s to Euros) so how come they can't get it correct for UK users?

And yes, I feel better for venting :-)
    Might be simpler to loby your elected official to submit a bill to parliament to switch over to euros
    yorkshireman2 likes this.
    05-21-12 07:16 AM
    i'm sorry you're frustrated... but to label "Why RIM are failing" is kinda much isnt it? *shrug*
    I take your point, but ...

I don't think it is 'kinda much'. I think it is spot on.

RIM aren't failing because of one monumental mistake, they are failing because of lots and lots and lots of little things that have driven customers away over the last couple of years.

For some it is the lack of apps.
    For others it is the clunkiness of the OS.
    For others it is that App World is hopeless in comparison to the market leaders.
    For others it is that sometimes stuff just doesn't work as it should.

I've had an iPhone for a short while, and an iPad, but I far prefer my Bold 9900 and Playbook, but I still wish both devices were a little more stable and less prone to little niggles.

If you've ever studied Herzberg' s Hygience Factors you'll know what I mean

Two-factor theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    sagec likes this.
    05-21-12 07:17 AM
    Here's the maths:

99 cents = 62p (at current exchange rates)

62p plus 20% VAT = 74p

So if you exclude tax from both UK and US prices then we are being charged nearly 40% more.

Amazingly, when I was in Spain I ordered a US$5 app and the cost was Euros 4.50 including tax whereas the same app in the UK costs �5. In other words in the UK we're paying between 30% and 40% more than ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

I'm happy with apps being cheaper in developing countries, but to be fair to all users there should be price parity between all developed Western nations (UK, US, Europe, etc).
    05-21-12 07:27 AM
    Here's the maths:

99 cents = 62p (at current exchange rates)

62p plus 20% VAT = 74p

So if you exclude tax from both UK and US prices then we are being charged nearly 40% more.

Amazingly, when I was in Spain I ordered a US$5 app and the cost was Euros 4.50 including tax whereas the same app in the UK costs �5. In other words in the UK we're paying between 30% and 40% more than ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

I'm happy with apps being cheaper in developing countries, but to be fair to all users there should be price parity between all developed Western nations (UK, US, Europe, etc).

Oh c'mon matey, you guys can afford it; afterall, you are the British Empire.
    yorkshireman2 likes this.
    05-21-12 07:42 AM

And I'm still p****d off that RIM feel it is right to rip UK users off by charging £1 for a 99 cent app. It's a rip-off.

there is no such a thing as perfect device.just delete wifi and start downloading.

everything is more expensive in Europe not just pb apps.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    05-21-12 08:04 PM
    You could always try to connect through a North American proxy and then download the app.
    05-21-12 09:56 PM
    where did you read that "RIM are failing" ????????? or is it just your frustration getting the best of you...
    It always amazes me how quick people are to blame the problem on the equipment when something goes wrong, when in reality it ends up being some simple thing they didnt do right themselves
    05-22-12 08:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD