Instead of trying to monetize with an upfront payment. Why not put ads in it and offer the app for free? And if they want, they can have their "full" version for a price that removes the ads and possibly add some more features.

This is how Android apps are run. Which I like.
    downphoenix likes this.
    01-20-12 07:40 PM
    Maybe I just haven't looked around but I have not found any ready add integration. I'm sure more people would do it if RIM made it easy to do.
    01-20-12 08:05 PM
    1 - They didn't have their own ad sdk forever
    2 - It worked like crap for a long time
    3 - Even lately it doesn't work that well and is pretty annoying to use

This was for the BB devices btw, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even have it working on QNX....
    Last edited by papped; 01-20-12 at 08:14 PM.
    01-20-12 08:09 PM
    I don't know about other developers, but I would have great difficulty building a usable app when every panel yields space to randomly designed items that detract from my well thought out user interface. Mobile devices have small screens to begin with - as it is, it's tough to work within the constraints and still meet the expectations of people who expect a no-compromise desktop experience.

If I offered my demo as an ad-supported app, its design would bear no relationship to the paid version. I want people to get a full taste of what I am offering for sale and this just wouldn't be possible if I messed the app up with ads.

If I may ask you a question - do you click on several ads every time you use an ad-supported app or do you just assume that other users will pay the developer's bills?
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 01-20-12 at 10:40 PM.
    01-20-12 08:10 PM
    I think most devs rely on impressions and not clickthroughs
    01-20-12 08:15 PM
    Trial version is the way to go.
    01-20-12 08:17 PM
    I hate any sort of ads on Games. omg takes away from the game even if free.
    01-20-12 08:38 PM
    Instead of trying to monetize with an upfront payment. Why not put ads in it and offer the app for free? And if they want, they can have their "full" version for a price that removes the ads and possibly add some more features.

(Edit: For me its...) completely not worth it (due to the PlayBook user numbers versus Android)

Paid per view, you usually get (at best) 1$ for every 10,000 views. Compare that to 99 cents per download...

You'd have to launch the game 10,000 times (as a user) to generate the same money for the developer.

Plus, as a user, I'd rather pay 99 cents and never have to see an ad I find ads so ugly, I actually refuse to use applications with them embedded.
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-20-12 at 09:20 PM.
    spike12 and KOOLWATER like this.
    01-20-12 09:07 PM
    (Edit: For me its...) completely not worth it (due to the PlayBook user numbers versus Android)

Paid per view, you usually get (at best) 1$ for every 10,000 views. Compare that to 99 cents per download...

You'd have to launch the game 10,000 times (as a user) to generate the same money for the developer besides the fact the it's not really free if I have to look at the ads.

Plus, as a user, I'd rather pay 99 cents and never have to see an ad I find ads so ugly, I actually refuse to use applications with them embedded.
    +1... I have bought several apps because of the lack of ads. I don't mind supporting the developers!
    01-20-12 10:05 PM
    I heartedly agree with that. I stay from any apps that have adds in them. I will gladly pay the price of an app so that I don't have to see any ads. When I download an app that I didnt know that it had ads in it; it gets deleted right away.
    01-20-12 10:06 PM
    Just what I want - spyware and adware in apps...

Hey - here's a free version of Microsoft Office. It will place ads between every paragraph you type in Word, on every excel spreadsheet you print and when you're giving a presentation in Powerpoint, you will have a 30 second long unskippable ad every 5 slides.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-20-12 10:13 PM
    I just provide a feature limited free version and a paid version with bells and whistles in it. I can't even imagine the irony of having a browser with adblock for the webpage, but it's got it's own little ad bar down at the bottom... Hehe, would be kind of funny though.

Most apps asking prices are extremely reasonable, I don't know of many apps that are over the $5 mark and it doesn't take me using it too much to get $5 out of a well made application. Lots of the PlayBook developers are smaller operations and often one person shops, I have nothing but love for that group of people and try to support them at every opportunity. It's not just that they're developing for the PB, its that they're doing what they enjoy and there's a certain passion for the application that you just won't find with many big name apps.

/off my soapbox
    mithrazor and KermEd like this.
    01-20-12 10:19 PM
    more demos and trials are needed. 3 software platforms that succeed in this are android, xbox live, and onlive. All of them have a majority or significant portion of apps that offer a way to try before buy. Everything else, such as appstore, ps3, etc do a very poor job of doing demos. I tend not to download many applications or games that I dont have access to try first.
    01-20-12 10:26 PM
    I don't know about other developers, but I would have great difficulty building a usable app when every panel yields space to randomly designed items that detract from my well thought out user interface. Mobile devices have small screens to begin with - as it is, it's tough to work within the constraints and still meet the expectations of people who expect a no-compromise desktop experience.

If I offered my demo as an ad-supported app, its design would bear no relationship to the paid version. I want people to get a full taste of what I am offering for sale and this just wouldn't be possible if I messed the app up with ads.

If I may ask you a question - do you click on several ads every time you use an ad-supported app or do you just assume that other users will pay the developer's bills?
    I understand where you're coming from. And I'm not saying EVERY app out there should be free and ad supported. But I feel with Blackberry apps, the overwhelming majority are paid. I feel there should be a good balance between the two.

I mean at the end of the day, it's up to the developer on how they want to monetize on their product. But I've wondered why BB apps are mostly paid apps.

You'd have to launch the game 10,000 times (as a user) to generate the same money for the developer.

Lets say BB10 comes out and has reached millions of people. Would that change your stance on the matter?

And I'm not saying have only an ad supported app. The free version can be ad supported while the paid one can be without ads (with some extra features if you wish). For example, see Angry Birds.

The way I see it. Not only would that catch the eye of app browsers. But that in itself can be a form of marketing and can possibly bring in more potential customers for your paid app.

And if the comments on this board is the same reasoning of many BB users, and lets say they hate ads. I'm sure they will definitely buy it. On top of that, the people that don't really buy apps, or are too young to have credit card information tied to their BBID. Can also enjoy the app, and the ads can be a way to bring in money from them as opposed to not bringing in money at all.

Do you get my logic?

Edit: Pretty much like HaTaX's apps. He has a free version of his SimpleBrowser, and a Plus version with extra features. Free doesn't HAVE to have ads. But that's the way I'm talking about.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 01-20-12 at 11:50 PM.
    01-20-12 11:45 PM

I prefer paying for the applications and not be annoyed by advertisements in so-called "free" applications. For those developers whom have created truly free applications for the BlackBerry PlayBook I thank you for not putting advertisements in these applications.
    01-21-12 09:49 AM
    I understand where you're coming from. And I'm not saying EVERY app out there should be free and ad supported. But I feel with Blackberry apps, the overwhelming majority are paid. I feel there should be a good balance between the two.

I mean at the end of the day, it's up to the developer on how they want to monetize on their product. But I've wondered why BB apps are mostly paid apps.
    Developers may not have much say in how to best monetize their apps - the culture in each market may play a large part in making a final decision. There has been much discussion of rampant piracy in the Android marketplace. The BB market makes it possible to make money by selling apps for a fixed price - Android market perhaps not so much.

I found hundreds of articles by searching for the phrase "android market piracy". Here is a link to one such article and a couple of quotes from it:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...o-thwart-a.php

"Android apps are living in the Wild West without a sheriff," said Carl Howe, author of the Yankee Group report:

"One somewhat far-fetched solution that the Yankee Group proposes is to make all applications ad-supported. If apps do not have to be paid for, piracy becomes less of a problem. The report calls for a "standardized AdMob interface into the Android development toolkit." To a certain extent, Google has created specific AdMob tools, as we saw earlier this week. The report also recommends distributing a free app for in-app payments and to control all downloadable content as well as turning apps into subscriptions for content publishers."
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 01-21-12 at 12:29 PM.
    01-21-12 10:56 AM
    By the way, one reason for "why so few ads?" that was mentioned in passing, I think, but not elaborated on, is the simple fact that for most of the SDKs available (or is it still all of them?) RIM hasn't provided any support for the ad service yet.

I'm not checking it myself, since ads hold little interest to me for now, but I have a suspicion the WebWorks SDK now supports the ad service. The others (AIR and Native) do not, and we still have no timeline for support.

Basically, RIM largely ignored the whole ad thing for PlayBooks (including advertising it well themselves ;-) ), and developers can use only the tools provided so they've largely ignored advertising other than periodically trying to get a heads-up on when it will be better supported.
    Last edited by peter9477; 01-21-12 at 02:06 PM. Reason: minor grammar fix
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-21-12 11:56 AM
    I think it's refreshing NOT to have ads. I don't mind tossing the developer a couple bucks for a nice App.
    peter9477 and BuzzStarField like this.
    01-21-12 02:48 PM
    I think ads would be better suited when the market increases. I might consider it down the road. But I do honestly doubt it. I would be more likely to put a donation box (PayPal).

I like HaTaX idea of a free version, its on my to-do list I just have been spending more time than I should with service packs for the paid stuff and haven't had a chance (yet) to push out a free version.
    01-21-12 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD