i noticed that with some apps after downloading an update there is a second icon on my playbook.This just happened when i updated facebook. now i havetwo facebook icons. one is the old version and on is the new. i deleted the old one one but i would think that the update would over write the old version. did anyone elso notice this?
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-28-11 07:33 AM
    The only application I noticed this with was the Facebook update as you mentioned. I saw the exact same behavior on my PlayBook. Not sure what it was but I deleted the old and use the new. No issues.
    07-28-11 07:36 AM
    Other PB apps do this also. Some do it, some don't, I'm not sure of the reason. I just delete the old version. Hold your finger on the icon till the trash can comes up below all the icons then click on the can below the app you want to delete, the OLD version which is the one HIGHER up on your list of apps. Then click on the check mark to the upper right of the PB screen to go out of delete mode.
    07-28-11 08:11 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I figured out that i have to delete the original app, otherwise the PB says that there is an update. I'm trying to understand why it happens. It happened on two other apps i have as well.
    07-28-11 08:44 AM
    Guess I didn't get that cause I deleted facebook as I don't go there or use it. Haven't got a notice of an update either.
    07-28-11 08:50 AM
    I have had the same issue with many apps. Annoying but not serious. But still something that needs to be fixed.
    07-28-11 09:44 AM
    Perhaps even more annoying, and slightly disconcerting, is when you delete the app/icon from the PlayBook's home screen, but the app is still listed as "installed" when you go into App World --> My World. That has happened a couple of times with apps I downloaded from App World to test, but then subsequently decided to delete. However, in each of those instances I was able to click "Delete" from My World and the app disappeared.

Unlike deleting an icon/shortcut from a Windows Desktop, deleting an icon from a PlayBook home screen will also uninstall the associated app....sometimes....but not always. When in doubt, check My World in App World.
    07-28-11 11:34 AM
    I read on a blog comment that although it could be fixed by RIM it is really developer error as they are signing the app with a different certificate causing the playbook to think is a different app and install it separatelly leaving the old version there...

Not sure how true this is as I have never developed an app for PlayBook, but you would think if this is the case then RIM should know better as Facebook did this and was written by them...
    07-28-11 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD