On BlackBerry smartphones, don't RIM build the big apps themselves? Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft Windows Vista Live Bing MSN Chat, etc?

The sticky 'request' thread shows that big companies like Skype are waiting to see if the PlayBook will be a success (which it won't be without apps).

Why haven't RIM stepped in and offered to build these apps for QNX themselves, to Skype's specification? It'd cost a lot, but RIM have got a lot more to lose if the PlayBook flops.
    05-25-11 04:22 AM
    Why haven't RIM stepped in and offered to build these apps for QNX themselves, to Skype's specification? It'd cost a lot, but RIM have got a lot more to lose if the PlayBook flops.
    Do you know that they haven't? They built a Facebook app.
    05-25-11 06:04 AM
    Well I have my fingers crossed that they are developing apps like Twitter, but Skype have stated they're not getting involved until they know if the PB is going to be popular, and if RIM are developing these things they should be out by launch.
    05-25-11 07:39 AM
    I have looked but could not find the artical that stated, RIM contracted app developing company, MOBI something something (sorry for the lack of detail the story was a few months ago) for 100 plus Apps for the PB. This was the same company that put together Bloomberg's news app for BB's the artical said. I think some good app's are coming.
    05-25-11 09:42 AM
    I am sure that there are a great many things on the Roadmap. In due time we will see some good things.
    05-25-11 03:10 PM
    The Facebook app was built because of API's provided by Facebook, the Twitter App as well,

Skype doesn't provide an SDK/API to build Skype App, they have API's to build something to interface with an installed Skype application,

Things that are Open Source RIM could go and make a App for like VLC, or 7Zip, but Skype, Windows Live, Netflix, they don't have the rights to build those apps
    psiclne likes this.
    05-25-11 03:34 PM
    I have looked but could not find the artical that stated, RIM contracted app developing company, MOBI something something (sorry for the lack of detail the story was a few months ago) for 100 plus Apps for the PB. This was the same company that put together Bloomberg's news app for BB's the artical said. I think some good app's are coming.
    Polar Mobile:

RIM collabs with Toronto's Polar Mobile in exclusive apps deal for BlackBerry PlayBook - Techvibes.com
    05-25-11 11:35 PM
    The idea behind the Polar Mobile deal was when they get contacted by certain companies to make an app then they can throw a Playbook version in for free, paid for by RIM.

Polar does not make apps like Netflix or Skype however, they make apps for companies like the Toronto Maple Leafs, NY Times, Wired, etc.

As far as RIM not making the 'big' apps - how do you know they aren't? They could easily be doing these things themselves or have someone contracted to do it. Just because they haven't announced them doesn't mean anything, they could just be waiting until they are finished to do so.
    Last edited by SharpieFiend; 05-29-11 at 12:08 PM.
    05-29-11 12:06 PM
    Every manafucterer would do good if they were equal in capatibility in apps and stuff, as long as the hardwear are even. Just like the Ipad2/Playbook, except in app quantity/quality.
    Just a few days ago, I had a costumar, who wanted to compare the Playbook/Ipad2. He was leaning towards the Playbook, but for the same price, I think I convinced him to go for the Ipad2.
    I mean I'm sure app developers would like fewer seccussful devices, and like to stick to just a few and advance the ones already made. I believe that's why its more of a, "is it necessary", first.
    I really like the Playbook, although at its current state, it still can't really compete with the capatibility that it can with other stuff. Not to mention since most have one, the stuff you can do with others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-11 02:07 PM
    Skype have stated they're not getting involved until they know if the PB is going to be popular
    That was before Microsoft bought them for 8.5 billion , and seeing as Microsoft and RIM have some partner agreement , we may see if sooner than later..... i hope.
    05-29-11 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD