Well if it's Microsoft refusing to play ball, I hope they suffer from it. They seem to have an uncanny ability to take something good and make it awful. How long before they rename it 'Windows Live Video Bing Chat'?

Skype is of course buggy, mediocre quality and always drops calls - it is primarily successful because of its platform compatibilty. It is widely used and that makes it convenient - we all want it on the PlayBook because we're left out of the party. But if Microsoft continue to drag their heels, there's nothing stopping Skype from being superceded by something better quality, less drop-outs, and a cleaner interface.

I hope Cisco get their video calling app right, and launch it across all platforms right from the word "go". It could push Skype out of the market overnight.
    02-27-12 11:01 AM
    Once the Windows Phone and Xbox 360 version are done Skype will be coming to BB. Take off that foil hat. lol
    Is my theory a conspiracy theory or just business competitive hardball?

Isn't it true that MS is making a mighty effort to establish a foothold in the mobile market? And isn't it also true that RIM is faltering in that market, in the US, but less so in the developing world?

It's certainly true that MS is making a sudden and focused effort to penetrate the developing world market. Get Ready for 60% More Potential Customers, even to the extent of updating the OS to run on less expensive devices.

So, if MS can further marginalize RIM by denying access to one of the more sought-after apps, Skype, why wouldn't they do so?

The way I see it, MS isn't really in a position to challenge iOS or Android. But they are in a position to challenge RIM. There were rumors a couple of months ago that MS was interested in buying RIM. We don't know if the rumors were true, but they were at least plausible, given that they've done this in the past (e.g., bought Danger and let it quietly die). Even if they didn't, and don't, aim to buy RIM, I think they'd clearly like to eat RIM's lunch. Keeping Skype away from RIM and pushing WP hard in the developing world are two ways to do that.

To MS, RIM's market share may look like low-hanging fruit.
    02-27-12 01:35 PM
    Well if it's Microsoft refusing to play ball, I hope they suffer from it. They seem to have an uncanny ability to take something good and make it awful. How long before they rename it 'Windows Live Video Bing Chat'?

Skype is of course buggy, mediocre quality and always drops calls - it is primarily successful because of its platform compatibilty. It is widely used and that makes it convenient - we all want it on the PlayBook because we're left out of the party. But if Microsoft continue to drag their heels, there's nothing stopping Skype from being superceded by something better quality, less drop-outs, and a cleaner interface.

I hope Cisco get their video calling app right, and launch it across all platforms right from the word "go". It could push Skype out of the market overnight.
    Cisco??

lmao!!
    02-27-12 03:28 PM
    Just had a fleeting thought. Ex-executives/owners stepped down, bought more RIM shares... Great way to profit from a takeover when RIM can't even gain not share.....hmm...
    02-27-12 10:42 PM
    That isn't a lot of change when you've got $1.5B in the bank and you're still very profitable.

If I have $1500 in my pocket, and I have a major problem that I can get rid of by spending $15, would I do it?! Damn right I would. That's the perspective we, and RIM, should be looking from now.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - they're getting crushed by the general public and tech blogs because if a lack of three things:

1. Skype
    2. Netflix
    3. Kindle (and maybe Hulu)

RIM has $1.5B, (yes, with a B) in the bank and is still making a massive amount of profit.

Instead of spending what I'll gurantee are $millions on ineffective TV commercials (they're being lampooned online), spend that money paying MS, NetFlix, Amazon, and Hulu to make apps and make this PR nightmare go away.

Pay them each $5M. Pay MS $10M. Get it done. Short term pain, and really, not that painful, for massive long-term gain. It really, really is a no-brainer.

The only explanation, other than pure incompetence in management, that this hasn't happened may be that the companies in question won't accept the money or deal. Seems really foolish though if that's the case.
    Thank god you're not running Rimn. They would go broke in year or two.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 10:51 PM
    I find the notion of being able to buy Skype from MicroSoft, totally absurd. If MS don't want it on BB, then NO amount of $$$ will make it happen.
    We are relying on charity from the Evil Empire. Good Luck.
    02-27-12 11:00 PM
    I find the notion of being able to buy Skype from MicroSoft, totally absurd. If MS don't want it on BB, then NO amount of $$$ will make it happen.
    We are relying on charity from the Evil Empire. Good Luck.

What does Apple got to do with this?
    02-27-12 11:12 PM
    I think RIM has made a plea to Netflix and Skype but got shut down. They want to avoid more bad press and not say anything about it.
    That makes the most sense.
    02-27-12 11:37 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD