Keep in mind with RIMS current economic situation all resources are going to be dedicated to growing the business and generating revenue. ie expect to pay for a lot of features going forward. ( apps )
    The new OS may allow you to do a lot , but i am betting a lot of those packages have to be paid for after you get your few token free ones.
    Well you just described Apple's business model....Apple limits much core functioning inorder to subsidize the App Store, and people eat it up. An example would be Safari. It's considered a great browser by many. However inorder to have a truly great browsing experience of frequented sites, your better off downloading the "app"....Like really!

What RIM is engineering is taking longer, however I much prefer not having to search for an app inorder to properly browse a site. Regardless what anyone says.We shouldn't have to utilize apps to mask OS limitations.....
    02-05-12 01:29 AM
    Devcon Europe is starting next week and BerryReview has this to say, check it out.

Cascades UI Engine and Qt Application Framework Being Covered at DevCon Europe - BerryReview
    02-05-12 09:52 AM
    Haven't you seen the update for Scrapbook and the new themes for it?! TAT has been working real hard! : )

They have been working on A LOT of behind the scenes stuff.
    First I assumed sarcasm when I read it, but I thought I'd reply anyway
    They may well be working hard behind the scenes - but the Scrapbook app is hardly showcasing material unless you are a 7 year old girl the app is useless, vaguely "pretty" and does nothing to promote the Playbook imo. Sticking some random stickers on a photo and hanging it on a washing line.... brief demo of possible animations etc?.. yes, good app? - hardly.

I'm expecting a lot more in OS2 saying that, OS1 does the job for me but It'd be nice to finally get a really smooth responsive OS with nice transitions.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-05-12 10:03 AM
    Videos - TAT The Astonishing Tribe stick their website up as well, the do some live wallpapers for Android phones.
    04-20-12 08:40 AM
    hey necro poster how's she goin' bruh?
    RunSilent23 and ambarmetta like this.
    04-20-12 09:16 AM
    Well I think the question is still relevant today, and has been made multiple times...Lets see those apps! If they implemented their confetti app using bluetooth, it would be super awesome!
    04-20-12 11:11 AM
    I think it's a good marketing strategy to hold off on releasing very many Cacades apps until the first bb10 phone so as to maximize the WOW factor.
    Flexin likes this.
    04-20-12 04:30 PM
    Check out "Scrapbook" in the Appworld under the "Top Rated" tab in "Apps". I can't be sure, but I think it's a sample of the Cascade stuff coming. It's from RIM. It seems to be quite a nice little creativity app.
    04-21-12 12:14 AM
    Check out "Scrapbook" in the Appworld under the "Top Rated" tab in "Apps". I can't be sure, but I think it's a sample of the Cascade stuff coming. It's from RIM. It seems to be quite a nice little creativity app.
    I'm pretty sure it's shown on an mwc video featuring Cascades.

It's fun to use and very snappy, especially for what's essentially a beta app. We love it here in the Stewartj1 household.
    04-22-12 03:43 PM
    I think it's a good marketing strategy to hold off on releasing very many Cacades apps until the first bb10 phone so as to maximize the WOW factor.
    And in the mean time, any of the apps to which consumers would have gone "wow, I really want to buy the Playbook becomes of what I see" are nowhere to be found; that is, except in pathetic demonstrations that do nothing to persaude the minds of consumers except to reinforce the notion that RIM's corporate mantra of "promising everything while delivering nothing" is alive and well.

With all due respect to the Scrapbook app; that one app certainly does not do anything to sell the Playbook. If anything, it does the exact opposite. To clarify, consumer says, "so where are these amazing TAT apps that I've seen demoed?". I respond, "well here, take a look at the Scrapbook app". Consumer says, "wow that's cool, when's the next one arriving?". I respond, "well, it only took a year to get the Scrapbook app so I imagine at least another year before we see a new TAT app". Consumer, says "good luck with that - enjoy your one superpowered app, I'll buy something else".

Obviously I'm being sarcastic here, but the point is apt. TAT powered apps would have helped convince the public that the Playbook is a serious contender in the marketplace; that it is a powerful tablet capable of supporting high-quality, if not superior designed apps; and that the tablet was something worthwhile investing in.

Instead, TAT has simply increased the frustration on the part of existing consumers who continue to wait to see if the "golden age of Playbook" actually arrives as RIM promised while further alienating potential consumers by demonstrating, yet again, that RIM seems solely incapable of actually delivering on anything in a timely fashion.
    sagec likes this.
    04-22-12 05:12 PM
    None of the existing apps are built with the Cascades stuff we'll be getting in May. They're basically built with an earlier generation of the Cascades technology from TAT. Just because they could build some fancy stuff a year ago doesn't mean it was ready for prime time... and for use by thousands of third-party developers rather than just the in-house types.

Part of the delay was that the whole thing, apparently, has been re-architected on top of Qt. I don't know what it was like before, but I can imagine it might have been pretty fugly, so bad they realized it wouldn't play well if they just dumped it on us as it was then. Using Qt will probably help a lot... anyway only a week to go until we start to understand!
    04-22-12 07:55 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD