are they in app world? don't see much different from what was there.
    02-22-12 02:50 AM
    Hi,
    Many threads are addressing this matter.
    Please refer to them.

There is no Android Player for end user. It is just an integration seamless of Android Apps.
    Android Apps which have been registered for Playbook are available into AppWorld.

Cheers
    02-22-12 02:57 AM
    The usual way to tell is if the the screenshots are in portrait and the description refers to "your smartphone".

Such apps as they are are all in Appworld. Or FartAppworld as it now seems to be.
    02-22-12 02:58 AM
    there can't be very many then because i'm sure not seeing much that is new. kind of a disappointment after hearing about it for so long
    02-22-12 03:13 AM
    On and Android phone or tablet, where they probably belong.
    02-22-12 03:15 AM
    This is not what I was hoping for.

I don't want to have to convert each app I need. I want a nice simple "android market" style experience to get android apps.

How do you release 2.0 without Kindle, Skype, and Google integration not ready to go day one?

That was what I was waiting for.

Guess we're waiting for someone to make a native "Sideloader" App for for the playbook.

Till then... This thing STILL isn't fitting MY needs.
    02-22-12 03:16 AM

I don't want to have to convert each app I need. I want a nice simple "android market" style experience to get android apps.

How do you release 2.0 without Kindle, Skype, and Google integration not ready to go day one?

Guess we're waiting for someone to make a native "Sideloader" App for for the playbook.

Do you really expect RIM to hold of OS updates, for the devs to get on board with specific apps that you so desperately need?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-22-12 03:23 AM

I sideloaded kindle last night works great and i'am a new user.You'll just need to wait for Amazon to bring out a Blackberry version or a dev to get it issued in the App store thats all.
    02-22-12 03:45 AM
    Where do you find the Android apps?
    Asking for Android apps on CrackBerry is like [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQ-ISsDm8M[/YT]
    habanero61 and nico2004 like this.
    02-22-12 03:49 AM
    Do you really expect RIM to hold of OS updates, for the devs to get on board with specific apps that you so desperately need?
    If it was just me, No.
    It's NOT just me.

This was just stupid. Skype, Amazon, and Google access are the bare minimum for a successful device in this class.

I could sell about 20 of these things if they did Skype video.

Kindle is the 800 lbs gorilla in Ebooks. Even Apple caved to Amazon and has a Kindle app.
    Kobo sucks. I'm paying NOT a premium for content at a third rate vendor that my fold and leave me locked out of my library.

Amazon has the muscle to make me confident enough to make a purchase and 2 people I know are self published through them.

RIM needs to loose the idea that they still can dictate anything to the market.

This is ALL about funniling sales through their store. If they got the basics on board everyone would follow.

If not... They might as well leverage Open Source.
    02-22-12 04:07 AM

Personally, if I'm looking for the Android market I buy an Android device. In other words, I don't buy the wrong product and blame the manufacturer of that product for my lack of research.
    The PB plays certain Android apps found in AppWorld. You will not find the Android Market icon. What was said was that the PB would run them. If you believed you would buy them in an "Android market experience" then you are misinformed, probably due to insufficient research.
    If you can find a statement from RIM that says that you would find the Android Market on the PB to "get Android apps" then obviously it was I who was misinformed. Otherwise....it was you.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-22-12 at 04:39 AM.
    02-22-12 04:37 AM
    If it was just me, No.
    It's NOT just me.

This was just stupid. Skype, Amazon, and Google access are the bare minimum for a successful device in this class.

Kindle is the 800 lbs gorilla in Ebooks. Even Apple caved to Amazon and has a Kindle app.
    Kobo sucks. I'm paying NOT a premium for content at a third rate vendor that my fold and leave me locked out of my library.

Amazon has the muscle to make me confident enough to make a purchase and 2 people I know are self published through them.

This is ALL about funniling sales through their store. If they got the basics on board everyone would follow.

Oh THE HORROR!!!!! How DARE RIM attempt to funnel sales through AppWorld!!!! Quick, someone call Anderson Cooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-22-12 04:44 AM
    Personally, if I'm looking for the Android market I buy an Android device. In other words, I don't buy the wrong product and blame the manufacturer of that product for my lack of research.
    The PB plays certain Android apps found in AppWorld. You will not find the Android Market icon. What was said was that the PB would run them. If you believed you would buy them in an "Android market experience" then you are misinformed, probably due to insufficient research.
    If you can find a statement from RIM that says that you would find the Android Market on the PB to "get Android apps" then obviously it was I who was misinformed. Otherwise....it was you.
    Well said.
    If people want Android software, what ever possessed them to buy a BlackBerry PlayBook? There are 7" Android tablets out there. The PB is NOT an Android tablet, and as far as I can tell, RIM's mistake was how they put out that piece of information. RIM made it sound like Android market apps were going to run here, when all it really means is that it is supposed to be easy for a dev to port one over. I'm glad all the fart app garbage and endless lists of goofy games are not here. Android market can keep it. I'd hate to see App World loaded with fly-by-night clutter.
    02-22-12 04:51 AM
    I agree I don't want to see a load of clutter garbage apps, but they do sell tablets and phones. We all want to see RIM keep trading. I think it was a good idea to make it easy for devs to port over apps made originally for android.
    02-22-12 05:05 AM
    I wish Android apps had nothing to do with Playbook. Not because they are bad. They are quite good but this is making many ignore the positives of OS2 and rant about android apps.
    02-22-12 05:11 AM
    I just searched 'Android' in Appworld and a long list of apps appeared..
    02-22-12 05:22 AM
    If it was just me, No.
    It's NOT just me.

In case you haven't noticed, Google, amazon and Skype are owned by other companies. It's up to them to develop for the PlayBook.
    02-22-12 05:23 AM
    And the stupidity with android apps continue....... Those not satisfied should go get an Android based tablet.
    02-22-12 05:45 AM
    In case you haven't noticed, Google, amazon and Skype are owned by other companies. It's up to them to develop for the PlayBook.
    Some people writting here are somehow mistaking, blind or narrow minded.

Nobody is looking for an "android app". Nobody period! There are simply a bunch of key apps that a tablet or a smartphone should sport. They are compulsary for successul sales.
    If some BB users are refering to android market in this forum, instead of blaming them, ask just yourself the question why. Well simply because in 2011 Q1, RIM refered to it as the solution to bring many more apps available to Playbook and soon BB10.
    Why do you think RIM moved this way ? Because people want Android apps? Nope! Just because their platform are not attracting enough dev and key companies. So to go fast they announced that soon Android apps would be available to Playbook.
    One year later nothing happened and a campaign in January and February has been launched to get more Android apps. available.
    It looks like the campaign was just a last minute idea to save what could be called a failure to attract dev during the last 10 months.
    Many are saying it was a successful campaign with 6000+ dev registered. And it was.
    But this campaign has targeted only low key apps. Main actors didn't move. Did they ? Ah yeh gaming ... Nice field! Is RIM trying to attract more teenagers?
    A successful tablet (in sales nothing related to hardware) should not fulfill the needs of few users but respond to most of needs of world potential users. Vision needs to be the largest possible. If RIM wants, as mentionned Heins a few weeks ago, to be a key player in this industry, vision must be global.
    If RIM is caring that much about bringing Android apps in and made such an incentive campaign, this is because they do understand that this is part of the strategy to become a strong competitor in this market. And so far, this strategy is not successfully achieved. After one year, not even one major app have been integrated into AppWorld except for Facebook, Twitter and Linked In. Without key apps... Playbook will be discontinuated and there will be no Playbook 2. New hardware is not needed here, the real issues now are about a good eco-system and the presence of key apps. Kevin was right to point recently the lack of real integration of 7digital (music store), absence of movie store, major ebook store etc ...

In my opinion, to answer quickly the major needs, major key apps should be a high priority for RIM. This would stop most of the frequent critics you read in this forum but most important in the media. We are talking about Blackberry's reputation.

Nobody is requesting to have 240K+ apps in AppWorld, but just the 5 or 10 major ones.
    And since the key companies seem reluctant to register or build their apps for Playbook/AppWorld, maybe RIM should move its own "buttom". Well yes! Why could not it be the way around? Instead of waiting for the key players to get involved, RIM could dedicate more time or ressources in building relationships and incentive actions to get the 5 or 10 major players onboard...
    They are doing it with low key dev ... Shipping them free playbook ... There might be other ways to attract large companies and build good relationship to assure a great support and frequent updates of their apps.

I read very often that this is not RIM's job to attract and get onboard big players. I think this is a mistake to think that RIM should just wait and see. I also think it is totally legitimate to request RIM to go further in bringing more apps to its tablet. Nobody to blame here.

Most of us like playbook thus don't request us to buy an android tablet just because we criticize it. We can still enjoy our Playbook and in the same time acknowledge some critical issues. Once again stop blaming people for their comments where they point some obvious lack of apps existing for almost a year and which are still existing even after the OS 2.0 release.
    Obviously, no new OS update will resolve this lack apps. It is not related with core features of Playbook. Only a strong and direct relationship between RIM and these actors would address this issue.
    Last edited by jerybis; 02-22-12 at 11:11 AM.
    sylvaing and Ratteler like this.
    02-22-12 06:14 AM
    So, it appears that some, out there, have one great desire, something like this: "I want the Playbook to run every app, known to man, act just like an Android and an iPad and then I will still tell you it is still inferior.
    02-22-12 06:23 AM
    Some people writting here are somehow mistaking, blind or narrow minded.

Nobody is looking for an "android app". Nobody period!
    May I draw your attention to the very title of the thread in which you have just posted? "Where do you find the Android apps???"

There are simply a bunch of key apps that a tablet or a smartphone should sport. They are compulsary for successul sales.
    If some BB users are refering to android market in this forum, instead of blaming them, ask just yourself the question why. Well simply because in 2011 Q1, RIM refered to it as the solution to bring many more apps available to Playbook and soon BB10.
    RIM stated the the PB would run Android apps and it is up to the developer of those apps to create them for the PB. Developers who wish to have their apps in AppWorld are welcome to do so.

Why do you think RIM moved this way ? Because people want Android apps? Nope!
    Really? Then why are we having this discussion, ad nauseum?

So to go fast they announced that soon Android apps would be available to Playbook.
    And they are.

One year later nothing happened and a campaign in January and February has been launched to get more Android apps. available.
    And they have.

Nobody is requesting to have 240K+ apps in AppWorld, but just the 5 or 10 major ones.
    And who would define these "major ones?" I could argue that the major apps I need are already on the PB. And if not, I find them on my Skyrocket, by going into the Android Market on an Android device. See how that works?

snipped irrelevant ranting....

Most of us like playbook thus don't request us to buy an android tablet just because we criticize it. We can still enjoy Using our Playbook and in the same time acknowledge some critical issues. Once again stop blaming people for their comments where their points some obvious lack even after awaiting for one year.
    Such as the lack of apps? those apps that people want?

Didn't you say as your opening statement that nobody is requesting more apps?

So did you just contradict yourself?

Just checking.....sorry, gotta run. Log into work. Working from home today and these fun ranting threads are making me late.

MUAHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Michelle Haag and stuka85 like this.
    02-22-12 06:47 AM
    Most of us like playbook thus don't request us to buy an android tablet just because we criticize it. We can still enjoy our Playbook and in the same time acknowledge some critical issues. Once again stop blaming people for their comments where they point some obvious lack of apps existing for almost a year and which are still existing even after the OS 2.0 release.
    Let me just point out one thing here for you- here at CB, most members are not qualified to talk to RIM and request them to do something about this android want.
    So, if you really want to rant and complain just take your issues directly with RIM, this is not RIM's platform to take complaints from, please visit the Blackberry forums directly and post your concerns.

So, instead of requesting you to buy an android tablet, here is requesting you to go to the Blackberry forums and complain there.

--
    02-22-12 07:35 AM
    I think Apple has successfully demonstrated that market success is driven by content, not by technical specifications... both the iPhone and the iPad are dominant in their markets despite relatively lacklustre specifications compared to some competitors..

Note: we could also discuss perceived "ease of use" to this equation and concurrently discuss controlling and restrictive practices by apple but that is beside the (this) main point...content is king.

Against my personal bias, i purchased wifi iPad.. and would now dearly wish to get a PB also now that 2.0 is here (and the 7" form factor) however over the last year I have discovered that a tablet can do a great deal for me of value, and hence I have had to raiser the bar for what constitutes a tablet suitable for purchase.

These are:
    Full Skype support for messaging and voice
    Full google voice support
    3D view turn/turn directions with offline maps
    Full featured marine navigation with noaa maps

The answer to any post or thread about lack of ipad or android apps is not simply a flippant "So go get an ipad, Kindle fire or android"

what also needs to be constantly acknowledged and pushed is "Yes, you are right, the success of the PB is restricted by the lack of apps, and we hope that (plenty of) folks are working on that".
    Last edited by mystic205; 02-22-12 at 09:12 AM.
    jerybis likes this.
    02-22-12 09:08 AM
    May I draw your attention to the very title of the thread in which you have just posted? "Where do you find the Android apps???"
    And I kindly answered to this concern ;-) (check the 2nd post of this thread... Page 1)

RIM stated the the PB would run Android apps and it is up to the developer of those apps to create them for the PB. Developers who wish to have their apps in AppWorld are welcome to do so.
    True and it does run Android Apps. And yes, this is the aim of building a marketplace; the hope that many dev. will embrace the eco system. However, if the marketplace remains not enough dynamic... or remains empty, shall one "wait and see" instead of trying to find ways to make it more active? For this reason, first RIM made available Android Market (even if it is breaking heart for a loyal BB user, it is highly strategic to avoid an empty marketplace) and more recently launched an incentive campaign by shipping free playbooks.
    Both actions go to the right way. In my opinion, it could be interesting to go even further for a bunch of main applications widely used.

Really? Then why are we having this discussion, ad nauseum?
    What I meant here is that people who request Skype app, genuine Google apps, kindle app etc... They don't care whether they are from "android" App. What they care about is the App itself. You often read "where is Skype, Kindle, Google Maps etc ?" In definitive, they refer to Android Apps because of the false expectations brought by "running Android apps" RIM announcement which doesn't mean all android apps will be registered and available into AppWorld. People make short cuts and get confused.

So if you would lile to contradict me, in a certain extend you could say :
    yes people want Android apps, but not because they like android eco system... Not at all... Just because the apps they want and need are available in Android Makt and with the wrong expectation that these apps should also be found into AppWorld.
    It could be any other marketplace... Android or any, it would be the same.

And they have.
    Yes, and we would wish they don't but AppWorld and BB not being enough attractive even for the main industry, they had to move forward. The move was applauded and once again I do think it was the right move.

And who would define these "major ones?" I could argue that the major apps I need are already on the PB. And if not, I find them on my Skyrocket, by going into the Android Market on an Android device. See how that works?

snipped irrelevant ranting ...
    The market itself defines it. RIM is well enough advised to decide what would be the right move to do. They already have done arbitrary choices by strongly integrating social networking apps into the Playbook eco-system, name them : Facebook, Linked in, Twitter, Others will come being shipped with BB10 eco-system. On which criteria will RIM based its choice? Well first following and listening to the market and then following their own strategy.

... Irrelevant ranting you suggest ... I think we can have our opinion on this subject, but one thing is certain, it is definitely a hot subject for RIM and it is closely related to its sales success in consumer market.

Such as the lack of apps? those apps that people want?

Didn't you say as your opening statement that nobody is requesting more apps?

So did you just contradict yourself?

Just checking.....sorry, gotta run. Log into work. Working from home today and these fun ranting threads are making me late.

MUAHHHH!!!!!!!!
    No need to be backbiter here. I have tried to explain previously that people who complain not having access to major apps such as Google maps, Skype... and mentioning wrongly Android market are not particularly fans of Android eco-system, they just request some apps that are available in Android market. This misleads the community to believe that those people prefer Android rather than Blackberry just because mentioning Android Market.
    I attempted to publish a constructive post and thus tried not to contradict myself. If I failed, I am sorry
    Last edited by jerybis; 02-22-12 at 09:27 AM.
    Ratteler likes this.
    02-22-12 09:20 AM
    Let me just point out one thing here for you- here at CB, most members are not qualified to talk to RIM and request them to do something about this android want.
    So, if you really want to rant and complain just take your issues directly with RIM, this is not RIM's platform to take complaints from, please visit the Blackberry forums directly and post your concerns.

So, instead of requesting you to buy an android tablet, here is requesting you to go to the Blackberry forums and complain there.

--
    If my post was too off topic I would rather let a moderator advising me about it. My post was mostly pointing how some cb members can be bashed by other members because having shared some frustrating experiences with Playbook. Like in politics, if one criticizes his own party, some other members will accuse him of betrayal and suggest him to leave the party and join the opposed one. There is no such black/white thing.

Also, you seem quite confident about the influence of the official Blackberry forum On RIM. However, most of the interesting discussions and thoughts on RIM's strategy can be read on CB's forum. So please allow me to keep posting here. It is not supposed to be a kinder garden and I often read very constructive thoughts around. Don't throw my posts away just because you consider that CB's members are not enough aware in general.

If you know about FlyerTalk or Trip Adviser forums, they are not in any kind official forums for frequent flying programs, loyalty programs, hotels and restaurant. However, it is often seen Air carriers, rentacar companies, bank cards companies, hotels and restaurants very attentive about the discussions and posts evolving in those forums. What happened with Kevin that weeks ago with the nice phone call from Heins new RIM's CEO is something that also happened in different ways to the moderators and members from those forums.
    Being Gold Flying Blue AF/KLM and President's circle Hertz for years now, I can say that those forums have great influence on the management teams in charge of Customer relations and Loyalty programs. I can't say the same about CB forum being a relatively recent follower but Thorsten Heins' recent phone call to Kevin makes me think that it could be (even if there is always a trivial and communication part).
    Last edited by jerybis; 02-22-12 at 10:51 AM.
    02-22-12 10:48 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD