Well I use my playbook to watch movies, play games, RDP into my company server, use HDMI to show clients specs and drawing when i visit their facilities, maintain reports.

So yeah I use it for alot. Apps are always subjective. I know any other tablet can do those things but not many are as easy to carry around as the playbook.
    Apps are subjective but the problem is the "rate of growth" is still lagging behind competition. No one here is arguing playbook is already a very useful device and very attractive at the CURRENT PRICE. Many will find it already sufficient for their use but that's not the whole point.
    03-23-12 06:11 AM
    System level orientation lock is a bigger deal for me than app count. I can actually use my PlayBook in bed while lying on my side. I suppose an Android tablet with a custom ROM could also do that, but last I checked the iPad couldn't.
    The iPad has always had a orientation lock, it's the switch on the side.
    03-23-12 07:18 AM
    Kennyliu

If the Android browser is so good, why does it rank so low on every mobile device test?

Why is the playbook the only 'mobile browser' to achieve desktop parity on these same tests?
    This is highly unlikely, since RIM uses the same HTML renderer as most Android and iOS browsers, i.e. Webkit.

About the only addition the RIM browser has is a better Flash player.
    03-23-12 07:47 AM
    After reading your response to my post, I can only conclude that you completely misunderstood what I wrote.
    Your conclusion is correct...my apologies.
    I reread (again) your response today, thanks for pointing it out to me...should not read/respond in CB after a few beers

Like many I do REALLY like the PB and like few/some/many(?) am frustrated w/the APP scenerio...especially, dare I say again,...seeing the POTENTIAL of PB!!

I even started a thread regarding this...http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-hope-707437/

Again, Thanks cletis. BTW, Chicago...one of my favorite towns to visit!!
    03-23-12 09:44 AM
    Your conclusion is correct...my apologies.
    I reread (again) your response today, thanks for pointing it out to me...should not read/respond in CB after a few beers

Like many I do REALLY like the PB and like few/some/many(?) am frustrated w/the APP scenerio...especially, dare I say again,...seeing the POTENTIAL of PB!!

I even started a thread regarding this...http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-hope-707437/

Again, Thanks cletis. BTW, Chicago...one of my favorite towns to visit!!
    I agree with you on all points; the inadvisability of posting while tipsy, the sad state of available apps, and the value and potential of the PB.

My take on the PB is exactly that last part: Potential. Once BB10 phones have some market penetration, developers will be able to develop for all current-gen and future BB devices using a single language. This should attract them in droves -- unless iFanatacism has, at that point, rendered all other development opportunities moot.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-23-12 at 01:01 PM.
    03-23-12 10:57 AM
    And another "good" app opinion. I could care less for Skype or Netflix. Once again, "good" apps are in the eye of the beholder...........
    Exactly, but there are millions of eyes trying to behold Skype/Netflix while compare to your two. Its RIM's best interest to make these millions happy since they are potential customers.

And to all the people who say we don't need apps, just use the browser, thats ridiculous. Browsers and webpages are made for larger screens with a mouse for navigation. Apps are designed to use touch, which is the whole purpose of a tablet in the first place. If done properly, app navigation will always be better than browser navigation.
    03-23-12 11:52 AM
    So... you want RIM to subjectively evaluate all the apps that are in app world?.. and by whose subjective criteria.. yours?

Neither IOS nor Android does that.. if the app meets the criteria its in.. RIM does the same.. feedback reviews and market forces decide what happens next..

I'm with you 100%.

The amount of useless apps that arrive in BlackBerry Appworld on a daily basis is absolutely ridiculous. I mean do people not know that the Playbook already comes with a beautiful and fully functional calculator/scientific calculator/unit converter/and tip calculator all in one!?! Not to mention all the BlackBerry and Android (yes both of you) apps that look like they were designed by a bunch of 2 year olds lol I mean I know you have to give everyone equal opportunity but come on RIM why are you letting this sh*t in!!!!!

But when it comes down to it, I just overlook the garbage and find apps that are worth my time, because I know that there is nothing I can do about it
    03-23-12 12:02 PM
    I bought the Playbook on three criteria: I wanted a small form factor so I could travel with it conveniently. I wanted to browse the web and manage email easily and I wanted something that was going to work well and was built well. I knew about the playbook's short comings but generally it seemed like a solid piece of tech and I also believed that those issues would be addressed. Being a BB smart phone user the email issues were not an deal breaker for me. Frankly I just wanted to get off the tiny screen of my BB and onto a bigger screen to do basic browsing, and have solid apps. The fact that the playbook was selling at a discount sealed the deal. Knowing 2.0 was coming I felt smug about making the "right" decision.

Now that I've used it the PB for several months, I've come to the conclusion that it still meets my basic needs but I just can't get over the fact that RIM has done such a poor job in fulfilling the potential - there's that word again - of the PB. With such a nice unit you want to expand into good apps that run well, and yet you're totally frustrated. The browser crashes since the upgrade, literally every 10 minutes or so, like a tooth ache that wont go away. Even so, I expect the PB will meet my needs for a year or two, and by then the technology will be far more mature with far better choices. Will RIM be a player? Who knows, but it will take a lot... not promises, not potential, but industry leading products to keep me as a customer.
    03-23-12 12:05 PM
    I think one issue is discovery. RIM needs to do a better job of placing and suggesting better apps. The way the front page of the store looks now, it's basically useless.
    Exactly how is it useless?

Every Thursday they update their pages on the App World and feature new or otherwise unknown apps. One of the things I look forward to Thursdays is that I get to see a new refresh of apps on those first few pages.

Guess what? The biggest seller of apps, iOS also does this on Thursdays, they refresh the pages and we go shopping. Not sure about Android. Since the release of 2.0 I have been finding my PB more and more fun to use and the apps, while more expensive for PB compared to the other OSs, still seem to run better on 2.0.

And NO, I am not a BB fanboi, I just don't see how you claim it's useless.
    03-23-12 12:15 PM
    Where are all the good apps? Why, they are over at Apple of course!
    I wish you were there too. This thread is reserved for PlayBook owners who feel a pressing need to trash PB apps and developers. They don't need your help. thank you very much.
    03-23-12 05:59 PM
    If the Android browser is so good, why does it rank so low on every mobile device test?
    Why is the playbook the only 'mobile browser' to achieve desktop parity on these same tests?
    This is highly unlikely, since RIM uses the same HTML renderer as most Android and iOS browsers, i.e. Webkit.
    About the only addition the RIM browser has is a better Flash player.
    Addicted44, while you may guess that it is "highly unlikely," as regards HTML5 compatibility it is absolutely true.
    | The HTML5 test - Tablet Browser Results
    | The HTML5 test - Desktop Browser Results

The current PlayBook browser scores 354 points (out of a possible 475), better than any other tablet browser except Opera Mobile (which also scores 354 points but edges out the PlayBook wtih an extra bonus point). Android browsers indeed score poorly. The PlayBook also scores better than any desktop browser, except Chrome. Of all the desktop browsers, only the beta Safari (due this summer with the Mountain Lion O/S) comes close to the PlayBook score.

If the PlayBook browser uses "the same HTML renderer as most Android and iOS browsers," why do these browsers get such different HTML5 compatibility scores? Why does the PlayBoook browser lag some of the other WebKit browsers in optimization of JavaScript and some CSS transitions?

The answer, of course, is that each browser team adds its own modifications and tweaks to WebKit, according to its own priorities. RIM's priority is clearly HTML5 compatibility, rather than speed optimization and user interface options.
    03-23-12 06:09 PM
    I too wish there were more big companies making apps for the playbook that utilize the interface, the bezel swipes, the unique tablet that we have. Using the browser as an all-in-one tool is a fix for the lack of options we are given. The browser can handle most sites with ease, but I sometimes want a different experience when viewing a site. Granted, the ipad apps may be overkill, it atleast gives the user an option have an app, and in most cases a unique experience for that site.

Having said that, I really love my pb and what does for me is enough for now. I just hope it gets better and that more developers jump on the pb platform.
    03-23-12 06:25 PM
    Why do these "app whiners" always come to a forum with this, and yet, hardly ever list the particular apps they are missing so much. Maybe it's in appworld and you're just too lazy to find it? Or maybe since you brought this to a forum, list the apps, then let the forum chime in on if these missing apps are really "missing" (i.e. "crap" or "I wanna be like them" apps).

I listed wanting a WSJ app, but the browser version seems ok enough.

Just what exactly are you missing? Maybe it's in the abyss like RIM pipeline like Zinio was. Or maybe you can just use that laptop sitting 5 ft away from you?

For the record, there are plenty of popular apps now in App World these days. They've even brought over Angry Birds for Pete's sake.
    Last edited by Justthecrack; 03-23-12 at 08:11 PM.
    03-23-12 08:09 PM
    Why do these "app whiners" always come to a forum with this, and yet, hardly ever list the particular apps they are missing so much. Maybe it's in appworld and you're just too lazy to find it? Or maybe since you brought this to a forum, list the apps, then let the forum chime in on if these missing apps are really "missing" (i.e. "crap" or "I wanna be like them" apps).

I listed wanting a WSJ app, but the browser version seems ok enough.

Just what exactly are you missing? Maybe it's in the abyss like RIM pipeline like Zinio was. Or maybe you can just use that laptop sitting 5 ft away from you?

For the record, there are plenty of popular apps now in App World these days. They've even brought over Angry Birds for Pete's sake.
    Hey newbie to CB since Feb 2012. I usually don't like coming heads on like this but your response & the name calling...very sophomoric and uncalled for.

Angry bird is the best you can come up with...go back to drinking milk and come back when you grow up and ready to chew on meat.

YES...You des deserved it!
    03-23-12 10:07 PM
    Do you even own a Playbook? Firstly, there is a need for native apps and not ported Android and pretty sure none of these pretty basic popular apps are in AppWorld (please correct if wrong)...

Aldiko
    Engadget
    Time
    Pulse
    Flixter
    Bank of America
    Groupon
    NPR
    Paypal
    Ted
    Vimeo
    Netflix
    HBOgo
    Hulu
    IMDB
    Spotify
    Dictionary.com
    Mixology
    All Recipes
    ezPDF
    Dropbox
    Tumblr
    Yelp

Shall I go on??? These are just a few of the popular ones...
    Last edited by JerryButtons; 03-23-12 at 11:07 PM.
    smartie88 likes this.
    03-23-12 11:02 PM
    Do you even own a Playbook? Firstly, there is a need for native apps and not ported Android and pretty sure none of these pretty basic popular apps are in AppWorld (please correct if wrong)...

Aldiko
    Engadget
    Time
    Pulse
    Flixter
    Bank of America
    Groupon
    NPR
    Paypal
    Ted
    Vimeo
    Netflix
    HBOgo
    Hulu
    IMDB
    Spotify
    Dictionary.com
    Mixology
    All Recipes
    ezPDF
    Dropbox
    Tumblr
    Yelp

Just wondering. I know apps would be a bit more convenient but, couldn't some of the items you listed be solved by using the web?
    03-23-12 11:53 PM

Aldiko
    Engadget
    Time
    Pulse
    Flixter
    Bank of America
    Groupon
    NPR
    Paypal
    Ted
    Vimeo
    Netflix
    HBOgo
    Hulu
    IMDB
    Spotify
    Dictionary.com
    Mixology
    All Recipes
    ezPDF
    Dropbox
    Tumblr
    Yelp

Please complete your list for me because I am a professional developer and it would give me a lot of ideas for future projects. There are some problems thatI you should consider while compiling your new list:

First, I think that you mean converted Android apps. Porting an app requires re-coding it in a different programming language. I also think that there is no justification to omitting Android apps. To the majority of PB users, an app is just an app. If an app exists in any form and it gets the job done, then, by definition it is not "missing". Users have no desire to buy "duplicate" apps so there would be no reason for me to write one and try to sell it.

I am a serious developer so leave out trivial web launchers. Most PB users would think that it's crazy to buy an app when they have such a great browser. I used PayPal and my bank's website several times today (it's payday and I needed to pay some bills) and I wouldn't dream of buying an app that is just a special version of a web site.

Also leave out apps that have an equivalent ones already in App World. As I indicated above, what matters to most PB users is function; if they already have an app that gets the job done they won't necessarily buy another just for the sake of its name.

In addition, you should omit apps that the vendor refuses to support on PlayBook. RIM can't force a developer to submit apps to its app store. I think that they are doing everything in their power to get the apps on board. Skype and especially Netflix are in this category. I can't write an app to replace these because of licensing problems.

Last but not least, I can't find any apps in your that I consider to be deal breakers. Your new list of apps should include only apps that I am interested in - I'm just kidding of course, but I can't find a single app in your list that I could not live without. I'm willing to bet a lot of other PB owners feel the same way.
    03-24-12 12:30 AM

Aldiko
    Engadget
    Time
    Pulse
    Flixter
    Bank of America
    Groupon
    NPR
    Paypal
    Ted
    Vimeo
    Netflix
    HBOgo
    Hulu
    IMDB
    Spotify
    Dictionary.com
    Mixology
    All Recipes
    ezPDF
    Dropbox
    Tumblr
    Yelp

This is a great list to start with! In addition, MyFitnesspal would be great. I've emailed them before saying that I can use there website from the gym, but that an offline app native for the pb would great. Their response... They 'heard' that the playbook would soon offer access to the Google market, so we would be able to download their app then... I replied to them to explain the android player and that their app doesn't work sideloaded, but no response yet.

Also, a usbank app, cnn app with breaking news notification, espn app set to espn user profile, ign app, a Craps game, zynga apps, xfinity app, nook app, and some Usmle reviewer app, especially Kaplan and Usmleworld.
    03-24-12 01:03 AM
    Please complete your list for me because I am a professional developer and it would give me a lot of ideas for future projects. There are some problems thatI you should consider while compiling your new list:

First, I think that you mean converted Android apps. Porting an app requires re-coding it in a different programming language. I also think that there is no justification to omitting Android apps. To the majority of PB users, an app is just an app. If an app exists in any form and it gets the job done, then, by definition it is not "missing". Users have no desire to buy "duplicate" apps so there would be no reason for me to write one and try to sell it.

I am a serious developer so leave out trivial web launchers. Most PB users would think that it's crazy to buy an app when they have such a great browser. I used PayPal and my bank's website several times today (it's payday and I needed to pay some bills) and I wouldn't dream of buying an app that is just a special version of a web site.

Also leave out apps that have an equivalent ones already in App World. As I indicated above, what matters to most PB users is function; if they already have an app that gets the job done they won't necessarily buy another just for the sake of its name.

In addition, you should omit apps that the vendor refuses to support on PlayBook. RIM can't force a developer to submit apps to its app store. I think that they are doing everything in their power to get the apps on board. Skype and especially Netflix are in this category. I can't write an app to replace these because of licensing problems.

Last but not least, I can't find any apps in your that I consider to be deal breakers. Your new list of apps should include only apps that I am interested in - I'm just kidding of course, but I can't find a single app in your list that I could not live without. I'm willing to bet a lot of other PB owners feel the same way.
    You are correct, I meant converted apps and not ported. An app, for me as a user, is not just an app, especially when most of the converted Android apps are still buggy and/or freeze up when in the emulator. In addition, many apps have to be sideloaded and are thus not officially available, nor is there a simple integrated way to update them. In addition, I think most PB users would prefer and possibly purchase native apps because they would integrated into the QNX operating system, which is the crown jewel of the PB. Most PB user didn't buy the Playbook so they could could use Android, they would have bought a Galaxy Tab instead.

I agree the browser is great but the Playbook is a 7" tab and even though things like PayPal and BOA are available in the browser, on this size screen, they are much more convenient and enjoyable in app form and I think many users would download. It is much easier to click on the app on the homescreen and have a nice large touch friendly interface than go through all the steps inside a browser. Apple and Google understands this very well. You may not dream of downloading these apps but statistically 100s of 1000s of tablet users download these apps and they're numbers are growing.

I understand some vendors just do not support the Playbook and I listed those, much talked about apps, as more a statement on why the Playbook is getting a bad name for lacking apps that most other tablets have. You are correct in that this of course has nothing to do with developers.

Lastly, a developers interest in a specific app should not be first in their consideration to build it. All the apps I have listed have 100s of 1000s of downloads on both iOS and Android. Why would Playbook owners not want them regardless is there is an off brand app that can replace them.

I think the general user, which is mostly who is buying tablets now, is being ignored in your view of apps and the want for name brand specific apps. I could be wrong though, I am only basing this on the success of the iOS and Android markets.
    03-24-12 01:45 AM
    Hey newbie to CB since Feb 2012. I usually don't like coming heads on like this but your response & the name calling...very sophomoric and uncalled for.

Angry bird is the best you can come up with...go back to drinking milk and come back when you grow up and ready to chew on meat.

YES...You des deserved it!
    When you start calling someone a "newbie" on a message board as if posting here for 10 years is some sort of rite of passage, maybe it's time to rethink your priorities in life.

Where did I name call? Please point it out. I simply said to name the apps instead of this constant talk of BB not having any apps. 95% of the time there is either a workaround or better yet, an app that actually exist on the PB!

The Angry Birds reference is to show that they are actually bringing the popular apps over, so it's not as bare as the OP is making it seem. Also pointed out that the PB is a different device where you might be better served with a browser instead of an app in the first place.
    Last edited by Justthecrack; 03-24-12 at 02:28 AM.
    03-24-12 02:09 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD