I don't mean to "Rant" and I am not trying to "Troll"....

But, after seeing that there is a $5 weather app on the home page of CB this morning, I have to get this off my chest... I hate to say it, but the more Android Apps that come out like this are just going to continue to hurt the PlayBook. I'm sure it's a good app, but there's a free weather app already & the FREE APP - Today's Alarm Clock - gives you real time weather.

$5 is too much in my opinion. Just doesn't seem like RIM is actually listening to us.

I've said this before, and I will repeat it here: We, (PlayBook Owners don't need 1,000,000 apps that suck. We need the 20-50 AWESOME *NATIVE Apps for the QNX System!

I mean, Angry Birds - on iOS & Android -$1.00 or FREE for the Lite version. Hmmm?

You know what? I would pay $5 for SKYPE, Text Free or Netflix or Hulu Plus IF they worked!!! Notice, these are all FREE APPS, but I would still suck it up & pay the $5 if it meant that they were not Android ported apps. If I wanted Android apps, I would've bought an Android Tablet. I want the quality that I expected from RIM & the BlackBerry Name.

Thanks for the apps Mr. Developers, but I will pass.

I LOVE MY PLAYBOOK & WANT IT TO THRIVE! Not just say, "No, it's not a Kindle Fire"...
    03-22-12 09:02 AM
    Since I can do without netflix or skype, I would say there are atleast 50 outstanding native apps, and hundreds of marginal to barely functional android ported apps.
    03-22-12 09:05 AM
    The simple answer is - there aren't many. OS 2.0 brought in some Android apps, and most of them available on App World are simply crap. I hate to say this but they are mostly CRAP. Decent ones still need to be side loaded.

Apart from some games that were recently introduced, the best native apps are still the ones that comes with PB, even if they are crippled and suffers from new issues (browser), they are still the better ones available. I have a few apps that have been purchased from App World, and they are great, but this app shortage is still hurting PB badly, and Android Player hasn't helped much - besides the crap apps the Android Player itself needs to be improved.
    bodjor likes this.
    03-22-12 09:12 AM

But, after seeing that there is a $5 weather app on the home page of CB this morning, I have to get this off my chest... I hate to say it, but the more Android Apps that come out like this are just going to continue to hurt the PlayBook. I'm sure it's a good app, but there's a free weather app already & the FREE APP - Today's Alarm Clock - gives you real time weather.

$5 is too much in my opinion. Just doesn't seem like DEVELOPERS are actually listening to us.
    Here I fixed your post for you because RIM doesn't set prices of apps
    Last edited by Foreverup; 03-22-12 at 09:22 AM.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    03-22-12 09:18 AM
    03-22-12 09:26 AM
    I'm with you 100%.

The amount of useless apps that arrive in BlackBerry Appworld on a daily basis is absolutely ridiculous. I mean do people not know that the Playbook already comes with a beautiful and fully functional calculator/scientific calculator/unit converter/and tip calculator all in one!?! Not to mention all the BlackBerry and Android (yes both of you) apps that look like they were designed by a bunch of 2 year olds lol I mean I know you have to give everyone equal opportunity but come on RIM why are you letting this sh*t in!!!!!

But when it comes down to it, I just overlook the garbage and find apps that are worth my time, because I know that there is nothing I can do about it
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-22-12 10:36 AM
    Yeah I agree I would pay $5 for those free apps as well. I don't know what rim expected lowering the price for the playbook. they got an all new fan base who are use to a good amount of apps via android and ios they really need to listen to us. It's not just corporate hotshots, ceo's who own a playbook anymore, it's kids teens and people who just wanted to try out the tablet.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-22-12 10:44 AM
    You mean, where are the apps few people in the world outside the US and Canada need?
    03-22-12 11:00 AM

$5 is too much in my opinion. Just doesn't seem like RIM is actually listening to us.

I've said this before, and I will repeat it here: We, (PlayBook Owners don't need 1,000,000 apps that suck. We need the 20-50 AWESOME *NATIVE Apps for the QNX System!

I mean, Angry Birds - on iOS & Android -$1.00 or FREE for the Lite version. Hmmm?

You know what? I would pay $5 for SKYPE, Text Free or Netflix or Hulu Plus IF they worked!!! Notice, these are all FREE APPS, but I would still suck it up & pay the $5 if it meant that they were not Android ported apps. If I wanted Android apps, I would've bought an Android Tablet. I want the quality that I expected from RIM & the BlackBerry Name.

I LOVE MY PLAYBOOK & WANT IT TO THRIVE! Not just say, "No, it's not a Kindle Fire"...
    So if I understand you, you're saying:
    1. The Apple App store and Android Market are all full of garbage apps, but before PB OS 2.0, App World was relatively free of them due to the disinterest of amateur/3rd-rate developers in learning the native PB SDKs.
    2. With the ability to easily port Android apps to the PB, App World is now attracting those sub-excellent developers, and is starting to fill up with fart apps and the other useless garbage that already crowd the other platforms' marketplaces.
    3. While this preponderance of crap has not hurt the unfettered success of Apple or the popularity of Android, it somehow has a crippling effect on the PB. Therefore, this ability to easily port Android apps is bad for the PB.

Yeah, your conclusion seems a little far-fetched. It may be true that the overall ratio of great apps to crap apps is lower in App World than in the other two stores, but the problem is not the glut of garbage apps; it's the dearth of great ones -- and if you removed every crap app from App World today, it wouldn't make the missing good ones magically appear, so you still wouldn't be satisfied.

Here's an alternative 3rd point which makes a bit more sense to me: The ease of porting an existing Android app to the PB creates a strong disincentive against developers deciding to code a native PB app. Since ported Android apps suffer in performance and UI compared to native apps, this is bad for the PB.

Now that's a point what could easily be argued both ways, since the question is whether the quality gap between ported Android apps and native PB apps is great enough to create a market force that can offset the ease of porting and the choice between a cheaper/free Android version of a good app versus a pricier-but-theoretically-better native equivalent?

Discuss.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-22-12 at 12:16 PM.
    03-22-12 11:31 AM
    They come pre installed on the playbook. Then I would look at app world.
    mud314 likes this.
    03-22-12 11:43 AM
    I think one issue is discovery. RIM needs to do a better job of placing and suggesting better apps. The way the front page of the store looks now, it's basically useless.
    03-22-12 11:44 AM
    For one, you need to change the title to something like "Where are the good apps that I desire??"
    Some people are happy with some of the current apps. "Good" apps are in the eye of the beholder........
    inolle and LeKeiser like this.
    03-22-12 11:53 AM
    sn't that 4.99 app a native app?

There are 1.5 million playbooks vs. tens/hundreds of million apple and android devices - you are not going to get the free or lite versions as much because they won't generate enough revenue from the user base to make it worth while. Also there is less competition on playbook so you will see the prices be generally higher than other platforms.
    03-22-12 11:58 AM
    Don't like it don't buy it. What's the point ranting about a 5$ weather app, when like you said we have so many free good alternatives. Fox and grapes man. Go rant about the 500$ clock app that got sales...

And the 5$ weather app has been on bb phones for years (idk at what price) I tend to use free quality apps for simple stuff but if it's something I NEED I will buy.
    03-22-12 11:58 AM
    Since I can do without netflix or skype, I would say there are atleast 50 outstanding native apps, and hundreds of marginal to barely functional android ported apps.
    50 outstanding apps? Even if that was true, its still not enough. You may see 50 but others may see 5. The lack of apps in AppWorld is undeniable! If the PB had the same app selection as android/IOS, most of the complaining posts would disappear. I don't care if there are a million fart apps. No one is forcing you to download them and the top apps will rise to the top. Have you heard any iPad/Anrdroid owners complaining that there are too many apps?
    conix67 and kennyliu like this.
    03-22-12 02:10 PM
    50 outstanding apps? Even if that was true, its still not enough. You may see 50 but others may see 5. The lack of apps in AppWorld is undeniable! If the PB had the same app selection as android/IOS, most of the complaining posts would disappear. I don't care if there are a million fart apps. No one is forcing you to download them and the top apps will rise to the top. Have you heard any iPad/Anrdroid owners complaining that there are too many apps?
    I have certainly heard (and read) iDevice users complain that there are too many fart apps.

I think the difference here -- and this is based on what I've read, since I've never used an iDevice or the App Store -- is that the App Store, and possibly the Android Market as well, is better designed and organized than is App World, making apps, whether good or bad, easier to find.
    03-22-12 02:17 PM
    This is the thing on apps......The more apps that are available, the better the chance that you will find something that fits your individual needs. What one person finds to be a good killer app, might be useless to somebody else.

For example, my brother is a pilot. His iPad is loaded up with tons of apps that only a pilot would like and that I would consider useless for me. My other brother loves to fish. He has about 11 apps on his iPad for fishing that he could not live without.

For people to say we only need 50 good apps on the playbook; I am wondering who gets to pick which 50?
    03-22-12 02:24 PM
    This is one of my many complaints about the Blackberry Playbook. I fixed my issues by purchasing the new iPad. I could NOT be happier with it. I already own the iPhone 4 and I have zero complaints with either of my devises.

I truly wanted to like the Playbook but the iPad is far more superior compared to it.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-22-12 03:21 PM
    after sideloading a few android apps, and downloading a few from appworld, i noticed, those that i sideloaded seemed to be a great deal better than those available in the appworld.

Is it that decent developers haven't bothered porting even though its simple? or does the official porting method differ in some way to the way people have been converting for sideloading?
    03-22-12 04:04 PM
    :

. If I wanted Android apps, I would've bought an Android Tablet. I want the quality that I expected from RIM & the BlackBerry Name.

I agree whole heartedly with these sentiments, I don't care if they put a million Android apps in appworld as long as they are clearly identified as such, so I can avoid them.

I'm not a big app person I don't need them, just as I don't need them on my desktop computer. But a few essential apps like files and folders and book reader and other high quality native apps, those I want, and I'm willing to pay for them.

I'm not complaining, have whatever you want. Some people love their android apps, but why not identify them?
    03-22-12 04:12 PM
    This is one of my many complaints about the Blackberry Playbook. I fixed my issues by purchasing the new iPad. I could NOT be happier with it. I already own the iPhone 4 and I have zero complaints with either of my devises.

I truly wanted to like the Playbook but the iPad is far more superior compared to it.
    I'm glad you are happy with your purchase, I trust you won't be offended if some of us choose to disagree with your conclusion.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-22-12 04:15 PM
    I have certainly heard (and read) iDevice users complain that there are too many fart apps.

I think the difference here -- and this is based on what I've read, since I've never used an iDevice or the App Store -- is that the App Store, and possibly the Android Market as well, is better designed and organized than is App World, making apps, whether good or bad, easier to find.
    I agree that appworld is very poorly organized, it's increasingly difficult to hunt through all the dreck, however it is clearly true there are too many fart apps in appworld also.
    03-22-12 04:19 PM
    My main point is that the ratio to useful apps versus useless apps to most people is evident. Skype, Netflix, Hulu, Espn, MLB, yahoo or live messenger a real version of Winamp, etc

I've sideloaded the apps that I like, but $5 for Angry Birds!? Come on now...

I truly believe that this is the biggest issue facing the PlayBook...
    03-22-12 04:30 PM
    My main point is that the ratio to useful apps versus useless apps to most people is evident. Skype, Netflix, Hulu, Espn, MLB, yahoo or live messenger a real version of Winamp, etc

I've sideloaded the apps that I like, but $5 for Angry Birds!? Come on now...

I truly believe that this is the biggest issue facing the PlayBook...
    Again go email the developers about their pricing.

Every app that ever came from RIM has always been free.
    03-22-12 05:07 PM

Seeya'!
    03-22-12 05:18 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD