Anyone out there? I can't believe there haven't been any updates to the Adobe Reader on the PlayBook. Astonishing.
    08-14-11 03:09 PM
    There a lot of questions about Playbook apps and updates, and no meaningful answers from anybody, unless 'wait and see' means something to you. It would make sense that something as basic and business-oriented as Adobe Reader would get updated pretty frequently, but...there are no answers.
    PadreTremtU and semicoln like this.
    08-14-11 03:23 PM
    If you want to think positively, maybe the reason there hasn't been a lot of major app updates is that the major developers are focusing their efforts on an update to the more polished update of QNX and that once that arrives, the floodgates to app refinements and releases will open.
    08-14-11 10:39 PM
    If you want to think positively, maybe the reason there hasn't been a lot of major app updates is that the major developers are focusing their efforts on an update to the more polished update of QNX and that once that arrives, the floodgates to app refinements and releases will open.
    Yea, that's it.
    08-14-11 10:41 PM
    Yea, that's it.
    Isn't it pretty to think so?
    08-14-11 11:04 PM
    Soon(TM)

10 character limit
    08-15-11 11:02 AM
    Soon(TM)

"SOON" (tm) is not "SOON" (tm) enough. It has been 4 months and I still cannot search my pdf files.
    08-15-11 11:32 AM
    Seems like Adobe and RIM had a one night stand, lots of good ideas and a few tangible items here and there, but no real dedication to making the relationship work nor any fruit to bear.
    08-15-11 11:50 AM
    Seems like Adobe and RIM had a one night stand, lots of good ideas and a few tangible items here and there, but no real dedication to making the relationship work nor any fruit to bear.
    LOL - if that's the product of their union, then it provides ample evidence of why protection is so sorley needed when having a one night stand

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    FF22 likes this.
    08-15-11 02:20 PM
    I read there's a .pdf reader working with the android player. Looks like we're going to have to get our reader through the back door.
    08-15-11 08:07 PM
    Anyone out there? I can't believe there haven't been any updates to the Adobe Reader on the PlayBook. Astonishing.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is wrong with the one we have now? I use it a lot and have not noticed any issues.
    08-15-11 09:31 PM
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is wrong with the one we have now? I use it a lot and have not noticed any issues.
    It's not a dumb question, but watch out for the RIM/Adobe critics' posts! The Playbook version is a scaled-down app, roughly comparable to the PC version of Adobe Reader, which is also free but which includes greater functionality than the Playbook version. Like a lot of users, I use Adobe Reader to simply read PDF's. If I want to do something more complicated, I have a number of other Adobe and non-Adobe pc apps that allow me to do those things. I think some of the harsher critics are conflating the capabilities of a number of pc adobe-related apps and are insisting that Adobe and RIM replicate that functionality for free.

There are, of course, complicated dynamics behind Adobe's approach of providing free versions, and better for-pay versions, and its silly to assume that those dynamics are easily transferable to an emerging platform like the Playbook Tablet. I do hope Adobe or someone else gets a full-featured app out that I would be happy to pay for. In the meantime, the Playbook PDF Reader allows me to read PDFs nicely. I do hope and expect that future free versions will allow better page navigation and forwarding, though.
    08-15-11 10:44 PM
    mmcpher:

Come on! The included reader canNOT even search for a word - scaled down? I'm not looking to create the damn things on the pb. But is searching for a word in a 300 page pdf asking for too much?

If rim really intended to partner with outfits to charge users outrageous fees to get simple features then we really were taken for the ride some folks claim about this still somewhat crippled device.
    08-15-11 11:01 PM
    mmcpher:

Come on! The included reader canNOT even search for a word - scaled down? I'm not looking to create the damn things on the pb. But is searching for a word in a 300 page pdf asking for too much?

If rim really intended to partner with outfits to charge users outrageous fees to get simple features then we really were taken for the ride some folks claim about this still somewhat crippled device.
    Don't disagree about the lack of word search, but that is a system-wide issue, like spell check (with a notable exception), and one I expect to see corrected in the Big OS Upgrade, after which we should be able to use it across apps.
    08-15-11 11:12 PM
    Sorry, but I disagree that this is like a PC version of Adobe reader. That is an insult to the PC version. The version that is on the Playbook feels, looks like, and runs like an Alpha version of the software. To say it is barebones is an understatement.

Try putting on a 150 page (let alone 30 pages) document on there and see what happens. You can't go to a specific page, you have to scroll by swiping to do this. Going to a specific page is NOT an advanced feature. It is something so basic that the fact that it's not incorporated on the Playbook Adobe Reader demonstrates just as how poor the relationship between Adobe and RIM truly is.

Quite frankly, I can't believe that this is a version 10 software. I would have labelled 0.0.0.2
    08-15-11 11:47 PM
    So it is lack of word search and poor paging, thanks, I never noticed as I am only using it for small documents. I can certainly see how lacking those basic features is annoying.
    08-16-11 06:55 AM
    So it is lack of word search and poor paging, thanks, I never noticed as I am only using it for small documents. I can certainly see how lacking those basic features is annoying.
    The other thing that I've seen people complain about, although I've never had to use so can't comment on it, is that PDF documents that have forms in it, i.e., where you can enter text, doesn't work with the current version. Perhaps someone else who uses pdf documents with forms can confirm that.
    08-16-11 11:02 AM
    RIM was high on some nasty nasty dope when they thought it smarter to rush the PlayBook to release to get into the market versus taking some more time and releasing a machine that could conduct if not "advanced" but at least essential functions in PDF, Word Document, Presentations and Spreadsheets.

It's as if they took all their loyal enterprise base and said we know you want to do office stuff while mobile, but check out this browser: FLASH, OOH AHHH! FLASH!! OOH! AHH!!

..and hey, lets play games and stuff!!

Just a stunning failure. They also should have launched with strong applications in a few key vertical areas, just to demonstrate awareness and competence, establish a brand identity for the new machine.

Instead you have a frustrating device loaded with turdloads of absurdly cartoonish games and a raft of crappy apps that make Pong look posh, a device that doesn't meet expectations of marketing and that has but crawled forward after four months, including two badly flawed updates--one that got pulled back--hurting the company's credibility at the very time their stock is declining, their competitors are soaring and they are cutting staff with layoffs.

How long?

Why bother.

Only thing now is to forget about it until whenever.
    FF22 and screamlordbyron like this.
    08-16-11 11:54 AM
    on some of the documents i have used it on you can go to a specific page. just swipe down from the top bezel and a slider pops up at the bottom (not sure if it works with every doc). what really annoys me is i am in sales and have my catalogs loaded on here in pdf format. there are hyperlinks all over my cats but i can"t use them!!! that to me is the biggest disappointment.
    08-16-11 05:12 PM
    I share the frustration here. With the announcement today that Evernote is currently working on a native Paybook App, the deficient Adobe reader now becomes my biggest irritant with the current state of the Playbook. I am just floored that this has not been addressed yet. Only slightly less stunning is that there is not a more robust version of Docs to Go for the Playbook.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-16-11 05:29 PM
    Dont forget the freakin BOOKMARK!!!!! 600-700 page CFA textbook... No bookmark = give up
    08-18-11 03:38 AM
    that's RIM definition of "world's first professional-grade tablet"...

now, imagine if it is not "world's first professional-grade tablet"...
    08-18-11 07:41 AM
    Sorry, but I disagree that this is like a PC version of Adobe reader. That is an insult to the PC version. The version that is on the Playbook feels, looks like, and runs like an Alpha version of the software. To say it is barebones is an understatement.

Try putting on a 150 page (let alone 30 pages) document on there and see what happens. You can't go to a specific page, you have to scroll by swiping to do this. Going to a specific page is NOT an advanced feature. It is something so basic that the fact that it's not incorporated on the Playbook Adobe Reader demonstrates just as how poor the relationship between Adobe and RIM truly is.

Quite frankly, I can't believe that this is a version 10 software. I would have labelled 0.0.0.2
    I wouldn't say alpha, since it seemed fairly stable. But the lack of bookmarks, and poor navigation (like you mention) killed the experience for me. RIM has to nail the basics if they ever want to sell to business users.

Bob
    08-21-11 04:16 PM
    to add to the list of 'missing ' features, the pdf viewer cant read my pdf properly. it uses a weird font for it. the same font works fine on the docx version of it on the playbook though.
    08-22-11 02:51 AM
    Still rubbish is it not....

Hoping for an upgrade to the adobe pdf reader as it is as much use as a chocolate kettle
    02-21-12 03:05 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD