If I were you, I would just get rid of the free version. Your app is worth much more than the 99 cents you are charging. People always want something for nothing. Why give them the option if you aren't going to force them to pay for your work?
    10-03-11 03:15 PM
    If I were you, I would just get rid of the free version. Your app is worth much more than the 99 cents you are charging. People always want something for nothing. Why give them the option if you aren't going to force them to pay for your work?
    See my response to mystic205 above and let me know what you think.
    10-03-11 03:20 PM
    Here is my 2cent. If you make your demo/trial version run forever then 90% will not purchase the paid version. Have your app expire in 7 or 10 days. Better yet remove the demo like some of the users have suggested.

All my apps on AppWorld are paid and no trial version.
    10-03-11 03:29 PM
    Good points (sort of). I think where you may be incorrect is that you cannot "force" someone to pay for your app. Rather, you have to persuade them that the outlay of cash is a worthwhile expense. I think that I have convinced myself that trashing the free demo would be tantamount to losing thousands of opportunities to cash in on my customers' good will at some point in the future. Delayed gratification, if you will, rules in my mind right now.
    10-03-11 03:29 PM
    I've just purchased What's Up. I don't really see the need for a demo version if it's offering 90% of what your current full version offers, but at the same time, when you are able to add the AR feature to the paid version I think it will be worth much more than $.99.
    10-03-11 04:34 PM
    I've just purchased What's Up. I don't really see the need for a demo version if it's offering 90% of what your current full version offers, but at the same time, when you are able to add the AR feature to the paid version I think it will be worth much more than $.99.
    Thank you for this opportunity to give the procrastinators among you some completely unbiased advice:

As I indicate in the app's description, $.99 is an "special introductory price". I personally think that the app is under-priced even with it's current limitations. It's a good deal right at this very moment, plain and simple. So you can bet that I will be doubling or tripling the price as soon as RIM allows me build in the AR capabilities. I will also promise you that future updates will be free. So I hope you can see where I'm going with this line of reasoning.[/End of Pitch]
    10-03-11 05:08 PM
    Here is my 2cent. If you make your demo/trial version run forever then 90% will not purchase the paid version. Have your app expire in 7 or 10 days. Better yet remove the demo like some of the users have suggested.

All my apps on AppWorld are paid and no trial version.
    I've pretty much decided to keep it but maybe I should post a poll.
    10-03-11 05:15 PM
    Drop the demo (remove from "sale") for a while, and use the opportunity to see what effect it has on sales.

At the end of that, if you decide you still want the demo (and maybe once compass support is added, as we hope in 2.0), then post it again, but only after getting an update approved.

Make the update a 30-day time-limited demo. In my opinion, anyone who really likes it will end up buying it. Those who don't, will some day uninstall it, perhaps after trying to run it again and noticing that it no longer works. And those few who want to keep a useful and well-done tool, for which they paid nothing, and who will complain vociferously about it, will have had ample time to learn about the situation, and they'll complain, and maybe give you some bad ratings on the demo, but in the end I think you can safely ignore them. They're not your target market, and they need to support developers to help make the PlayBook better, not whine about free stuff that they no longer have access to.

Also, if you really want to communicate this clearly to everyone, even the potential whiners, do an interim update of the demo, right away, warning them that the next update to the demo will be time-limited, and if they don't like that they should not install it. You could even have that message pop up every time they launch the app.

And you could even simply point out to them that if they really like it, and still don't want to help support the developer, then they still have the option of uninstalling and then reinstalling, to reset the demo period. Even the whiners don't have much left to complain about if you do that.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-03-11 05:51 PM
    Drop the demo (remove from "sale") for a while, and use the opportunity to see what effect it has on sales.

At the end of that, if you decide you still want the demo (and maybe once compass support is added, as we hope in 2.0), then post it again, but only after getting an update approved.

Make the update a 30-day time-limited demo. In my opinion, anyone who really likes it will end up buying it. Those who don't, will some day uninstall it, perhaps after trying to run it again and noticing that it no longer works. And those few who want to keep a useful and well-done tool, for which they paid nothing, and who will complain vociferously about it, will have had ample time to learn about the situation, and they'll complain, and maybe give you some bad ratings on the demo, but in the end I think you can safely ignore them. They're not your target market, and they need to support developers to help make the PlayBook better, not whine about free stuff that they no longer have access to.

Also, if you really want to communicate this clearly to everyone, even the potential whiners, do an interim update of the demo, right away, warning them that the next update to the demo will be time-limited, and if they don't like that they should not install it. You could even have that message pop up every time they launch the app.

And you could even simply point out to them that if they really like it, and still don't want to help support the developer, then they still have the option of uninstalling and then reinstalling, to reset the demo period. Even the whiners don't have much left to complain about if you do that.
    There's some very clear thinking here. Especially the advice of an interim warning of the impending cancellation of services. I do have one or two minor bug fixes so this would be a good time to get them out of the way. I currently have a nag screen that pops up at the beginning of each session so the framework for making my intentions known is already in place. The longish 30 day trial-period gets around the probability that user will be inconvenienced. I like it. Thanks.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 10-03-11 at 06:05 PM.
    10-03-11 06:03 PM
    I always appreciate a demo app that times out. The ones I use I naturally buy because I've gotten used to their usefulness or entertainment value. The ones I don't buy have obviously timed.out and don't even realize it. I think it's a great "service" for the customer and invokes more trust with the producer than tiered pricing or other strategies. Demo's that hold back on features are always suspect with me as akin to buying a pig in a poke. peter9477's suggestion would work with my expectations.
    10-03-11 06:14 PM
    I always appreciate a demo app that times out. The ones I use I naturally buy because I've gotten used to their usefulness or entertainment value. The ones I don't buy have obviously timed.out and don't even realize it. I think it's a great "service" for the customer and invokes more trust with the producer than tiered pricing or other strategies. Demo's that hold back on features are always suspect with me as akin to buying a pig in a poke. peter9477's suggestion would work with my expectations.
    Thanks Beakman and to everyone else who made suggestions. It's like having an entire IT department and focus groups backing me up. Cool!

I have taken perter9477's advice and removed the demo from App World. I will keep you all posted about the effect this action has on sales.
    10-03-11 06:24 PM
    I think demo's should expire. You are competing with yourself. If someone wants it, they should pay. That's my opinion.
    10-03-11 06:56 PM
    I think demo's should expire. You are competing with yourself. If someone wants it, they should pay. That's my opinion.
    I now share your opinion. Thanks.
    10-03-11 07:05 PM
    I've been watching this thread all day and I have to say I agree with peter9477 and Beakman and the others that say a demo should expire, a free version should have fewer features.

I've gone through countless apps and games, it's part of my job after all, and I much prefer an app with a full featured but time-limited demo to a light version. I'd rather know 100% what I'd be buying, vs wonder if it's really worth it to upgrade to a full version. I think the majority of the time I wouldn't bother spending the money to upgrade if I wasn't sure what I'd be getting.

Good luck Buzz, definitely keep us updated on how it works for you!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-03-11 07:17 PM
    I now share your opinion. Thanks.
    An expiring demo should be full featured though. We WANT to support you developers. All we want is to know that we are getting what we expect and that it performs as it should, before we cough up the dough. I, personally, greatly appreciate when there is a demo before purchase, and I, personally, happily fork over the money when the demo delivers.

Edit: Okay, while I was typing this, I see that Michelle pretty much said the same thing. I agree with Michelle.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 10-03-11 at 07:28 PM.
    10-03-11 07:25 PM
    I would like a demo of an app before I pay, so a time-limited demo is fine.

On the other hand, your app is pretty specialized. There are a bunch of people (like me) who download it to check it out just because it's free. If there were no free demo version, would I pay? No. Not because it's not a nice app, I just don't have a need for it. Look, I downloaded it, I think I barely tried it once before the trial period went up. Now even though I have a functional demo, I haven't fired it up at all.

Really, yes, I would love to have time looking up at night, but reality is I don't. And I doubt most people have that time either.
    10-04-11 01:13 AM
    I would like a demo of an app before I pay, so a time-limited demo is fine.

On the other hand, your app is pretty specialized. There are a bunch of people (like me) who download it to check it out just because it's free. If there were no free demo version, would I pay? No. Not because it's not a nice app, I just don't have a need for it. Look, I downloaded it, I think I barely tried it once before the trial period went up. Now even though I have a functional demo, I haven't fired it up at all.

Really, yes, I would love to have time looking up at night, but reality is I don't. And I doubt most people have that time either.
    Thanks for your very valuable point of view. Simply put, the main goal of a developer of apps in the Education category is to convince you that you do, indeed, have the time to stop and smell the flowers or to look at the sky.

This thread is all about how I can more effectively communicate my message to those who might discover my app in a vast digital store and also find a good reason to buy it. One problem that I noticed was that people had stopped leaving reviews for my demo version. Rather, they were just downlading the app because it was free, using it once and then forgetting about it. I was concerned that they could so easily bypass my sales pitch. I have made a small adjustment to my strategy and will wait a bit to see what effect it has on sales.

Meanwhile, I hope you have time to revisit the Education category and discover some apps that give you a really good excuse to spend some quality time with yourself or with your family. I have posted three recent reviews from What's up (paid version) to get you started.

PS: The first example was posted last night and is still in pending. I don't think I would have made this sale if my demo were still available for download.

This was my first paid app on the playbook. As a astronomy newbie, this app has completely immersed me in what is up there. A complete joy to use. Thoroughly recommended.

I love this app! It has made camping an entirely new vista, I was so excited when I found Jupiter, and could match constellations, etc.

Was heading out for a quick walk around the park with family tonight. I remembered this app and downloaded it while walking across the yard! A bit murky sky, but with What's Up we could find 6 out of the 8 brightest stars, and even identified Tarazed just visible next to its brighter neighbour. Brilliant apps like this are great tools to help inspire young children. Thanks!
    10-04-11 08:24 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD