For those of you who are interested, I have started a Facebook page so that you can follow all things pertaining this fine astronomy app. I have added the link in my signature. I am hoping that some of you will find some time to share your insight and stories with other What's up users.

In the last few days I have confirmed that Android apps can already use PlayBook's magnetometer but that RIM has not yet provided the necessary hooks so that AIR apps or NDK apps have the same privilege. As they say: it's close bit no cigar!

I will be posting frequently to Facebook in order to keep you informed regarding my ongoing struggle to implement augmented reality features in my app.

Today I have posted some links to discussions taking place in the official BlackBerry developers' forum for Tablet OS SDK for Adobe.

BTW, if you are interested in beginning a career in developing for the PlayBook these forums a a good place to help you get up and running. I could not have written What's up without the help of the many fine developers who put up with my many newbie questions prior to PB's launch.
    10-22-11 07:55 AM
    Then how do the compass apps work on the playbook?
    01-01-12 11:59 PM
    Almost would make sense to convert your app to an Android app, then convert the apk to bar.

Amazing RIM hasnt given you these tools yet.
    01-02-12 08:12 AM
    Then how do the compass apps work on the playbook?
    What compass apps? :P Apart from android apps(last i tried they were all 90deg off) the only compass apps available dont use the magnetometer they only track you GPS position while you move and give your heading. In other words, you cant sit in you living room and find which direction north is.

@Buzz Keep up the good work
    01-02-12 10:01 PM
    What compass apps? :P Apart from android apps(last i tried they were all 90deg off) the only compass apps available dont use the magnetometer they only track you GPS position while you move and give your heading. In other words, you cant sit in you living room and find which direction north is.

@Buzz Keep up the good work
    The compass is coming, the compass is coming! I have updated the status on the Facebook page with the details. Visit the page and like it! (Pretty please.)

BTW: Updates are always going to be free, but I may have to raise the price of the app closer to prices for similar apps in other markets. The current price is $0.99 - pretty cheap for an app like this I think.

Did I mention - the compass is coming!
    01-02-12 10:12 PM
    Just another "I've bought your app and it's awesome" post... I'm sure you're getting tired of reading them Buzz! Not sure quite why I chose to buy it now (December in UK does not bring the clearest of skies!) but I thought what the heck.

Compass will be awesome, but frankly I had very little trouble going "which way am I looking... oh, there's the moon, I must be looking SE".

Great stuff, and thanks.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-03-12 02:36 AM
    Just used your app last night to figure out what was that bright "star" below the moon. Its was Jupiter. Great app, thanks.
    Last edited by xxxmerlinxxx; 01-03-12 at 06:08 PM.
    01-03-12 11:15 AM
    Just another "I've bought your app and it's awesome" post... I'm sure you're getting tired of reading them Buzz! Not sure quite why I chose to buy it now (December in UK does not bring the clearest of skies!) but I thought what the heck.

Compass will be awesome, but frankly I had very little trouble going "which way am I looking... oh, there's the moon, I must be looking SE".

Great stuff, and thanks.
    Nope, I never tire of people telling me how they use my my little app. Winter skies are usually cloudy and bleak in my area too, but there are brief moments of clarity when a shiny thing breaks through. If you don't have the app, you might miss something. About the moon you can't count on it being in the SE - in northern hemisphere it can be in the E, SE, S, SW or W. Astronomy lecture is over. Have a great day!
    01-03-12 11:41 AM
    Just used your app last night to figure out what was that bright "start" below the moon. Its was Jupiter. Great app, thanks.
    You know, when I first joined this forum back in June it was a very hostile place for people like me. I can't tell you how many times that I was told that all apps in App World (and mine in particular) were "useless crap". If only I wrote apps that were actually useful, they told me, I might be successful.

Well, I am so pleased that the moderators have cleaned up the mess so the real message can get through. You have proven beyond a doubt that I made the right decision when I chose to write my first commercial app for the PlayBook. The device is so portable that you can carry it comfortably wherever you go - and when you need some information, there it is right there to help you, quite literally, understand the universe in which you live. Not bad at all!
    peter9477 and xxxmerlinxxx like this.
    01-03-12 12:13 PM
    Yup, this is an awesome app!!! There are currently four apps that truly impress and or delight my luddite wife and this is one. Also found out the planet near the moon was Jupiter and she said she thought it was Venus. A quick search revealed the current location on Venus and the no_friggin_way link to the website for more info.
    Much fun on the coldest night yet, here in the Northeast U.S..
    01-03-12 09:22 PM
    ok, i have a question. I downloaded your app, btw awesome!!! Now my question. My friend has google skymap on his android. When he points his phone to the sky it gives him the actual location of the stars, names etc. When he moves his phone around, it looks like a video camera with the picture on the screen moving like when you move the camera. Do you know what i mean? Anyway, i havnt been able to get this app to do it. Am i doing something wrong or it cant do it?

Thx
    Last edited by Nelis; 01-03-12 at 09:38 PM.
    01-03-12 09:36 PM
    ok, i have a question. I downloaded your app, btw awesome!!! Now my question. My friend has google skymap on his android. When he points his phone to the sky it gives him the actual location of the stars, names etc. When he moves his phone around, it looks like a video camera with the picture on the screen moving like when you move the camera. Do you know what i mean? Anyway, i havnt been able to get this app to do it. Am i doing something wrong or it cant do it?

Thx
    Please read the OP. It explains why my app can't do what you describe. It all boils down to not having access to PlayBook's magnetometer which is a fancy word for "magnetic compass". The current version of What's up app cannot determine which way you are pointing it so it cannot follow you as you move it about .

As explained on my Facebook page, I will be releasing an experimental version of "point and view" capability in the very near future. I hope you enjoy the new feature but you should not expect a movie-like experience until RIM releases OS2 (and the official magnetometer API) February. If you have any further questions, please visit the Facebook page - you can find the link in my signature.
    01-03-12 10:06 PM
    Yup, this is an awesome app!!! There are currently four apps that truly impress and or delight my luddite wife and this is one. Also found out the planet near the moon was Jupiter and she said she thought it was Venus. A quick search revealed the current location on Venus and the no_friggin_way link to the website for more info.
    Much fun on the coldest night yet, here in the Northeast U.S..
    People tell me that the app is familily oriented. Keeps kids busy learning neat stuff and settles minor family disputes. When I wrote it I didn't know that it would have such power. I hope you both have lots of opportunities to use it. And I know about the cold being from Toronto - a good stylus can be handy if you want to keep your gloves on.
    01-03-12 10:15 PM
    And I know about the cold being from Toronto - a good stylus can be handy if you want to keep your gloves on.
    Toronto weather? Luxury! I'm from the frozen north, where it's one whole degree (Centigrade) colder than Toronto. Well, an hour north. Hey, at least it's considered a different growing zone up here!

Anyway, pathetic one-upmanship attempt aside, I have a pair of gloves that I have loved for a while, to the point that the index finger on the left hand has a split in the seam at the tip, just enough for me to use it for swiping on the PlayBook.

If it weren't worn out, I think I'd probably take a pair of scissors to it for the same results, because it's highly effective!
    01-03-12 11:21 PM
    A few weeks ago, Costco was selling some gloves for use with touch screen devices. If I recall between $10 and $15. They were not very thick and felt kind of rubbery with a mesh like pattern.
    01-03-12 11:41 PM
    Please read the OP. It explains why my app can't do what you describe. It all boils down to not having access to PlayBook's magnetometer which is a fancy word for "magnetic compass". The current version of What's up app cannot determine which way you are pointing it so it cannot follow you as you move it about .

As explained on my Facebook page, I will be releasing an experimental version of "point and view" capability in the very near future. I hope you enjoy the new feature but you should not expect a movie-like experience until RIM releases OS2 (and the official magnetometer API) February. If you have any further questions, please visit the Facebook page - you can find the link in my signature.
    Thanks for a fast answer!!!! Looking forward to OS2
    01-04-12 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD