I just received a notice from App World telling me that version 1.5.3 has been approved and will soon be available for download. This version includes native magnetometer support and it works quite nicely, if I do say so myself. Now that the logjam has been broken, I plan on submitting a series of updates in quick succession to fully exploit Point & View capability. More on this later...
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 05-31-12 at 11:33 PM.
    05-31-12 11:06 PM
    This is great. i noticed that there is no more calibration for the magnemometer and was a bit worried at first, but its working excellently and doesnt seem to be affected by the magnet in the mini keyboard as well. Its just working as intended. Havent used this version extensively yet (obviously, lol), but if it holds up its awesome. In the release notes you mentioned how its the only change from the previous version and stuff, but its a great step forward. Keep working on it!
    06-01-12 12:02 AM
    Nice work buzz
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    06-01-12 12:07 AM
    Cool. Got the notification for the UG but appworld is still offering me the last (my current) ver at the moment.
    Looking forward to checking it out
    06-01-12 02:07 AM
    This is great. i noticed that there is no more calibration for the magnemometer and was a bit worried at first, but its working excellently and doesnt seem to be affected by the magnet in the mini keyboard as well. Its just working as intended. Havent used this version extensively yet (obviously, lol), but if it holds up its awesome. In the release notes you mentioned how its the only change from the previous version and stuff, but its a great step forward. Keep working on it!
    The mini keyboard case may look like its working but it shifts the field so that the display points in the wrong direction. When you take the device out of the case, the app takes an inordinately long time to adjust to the real world. I am re-introducing the reset to help speed things along - it won't be needed much but it has a place.

I have also discovered that the API gives the reliability level for for the sensor (a number between 0 and 3). My test app shows a reliability of 1 (rotten but not dead) when the PB is in the case. I am going to give the user a warning when the reading becomes unreliable The next release will be available on Thursday of next week.

As for the release notes, I was being a bit cheeky. The new API is "all" that you will notice but there are extensive changes in the underlying engine to handle all the new data the app is getting. I have been pushing AIR to the limits but if the dev is tricky (like I am) there are ways to make apps look pretty darn good. Being able to make our apps hybrids - part native - is a great thing. It's too bad that we had to wait so long for the ability to use ANEs.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 06-01-12 at 05:14 AM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-01-12 04:59 AM
    Just got the update. Nice work.
    06-01-12 06:15 AM
    i got the update much more smooth now, but my compass is not calibrated, how do i calibrate it? its showing north as west. and when i use the point and see option sometimes it jumps and doesnt show the correct position.
    Last edited by stuka85; 06-01-12 at 06:54 AM.
    06-01-12 06:46 AM
    i got the update much more smoother now, but my compass is not calibrated, how do i calibrate it? its showing north as west. and when i use the point and see option sometimes it jumps and doesnt show the correct position.
    Please see my earlier post about calibration and magnetic interference. It's worth pointing out that RIM has done an excellent job of creating a self-correcting mechanism. It works quite well but I need a little time to learn about its quirks (and how to implement the re-calibration mode). Feedback from people like you is very helpful in addressing the problems and I appreciate your taking the time to post your report in the forum.

If you are using the mini keyboard case or you have been using the cradle-type charger with the magnetic connector, the compass will take a little while to re-calibrate itself.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 06-01-12 at 07:12 AM.
    06-01-12 06:54 AM
    Headed for the dark skies of Vermont tonight so I can't wait! Thanks Buzz!!
    06-01-12 07:04 AM
    Awesome!

Thanks Buzz - will look forward to getting home this evening and trying it out.

Barljo
    06-01-12 07:08 AM
    Please see my earlier post about calibration and magnetic interference. It's worth pointing out that RIM has done an excellent job of creating a self-correcting mechanism. It works quite well but I need a little time to learn about its quirks (and how to implement the re-calibration mode). Feedback from people like you is very helpful in addressing the problems and I appreciate your taking the time to post your report in the forum.

If you are using the mini keyboard case or you have been using the cradle-type charger with the magnetic connector, the compass will take a little while to re-calibrate itself.
    noupe i dont have the mini keyboard oy any magnet close.
    06-01-12 07:16 AM
    I can't replicate this problem on either of my test devices but this does not necessarily mean that nothing is wrong. Let's try to kick-start the auto-calibration mechanism by holding the device flat and turning it through 360 degrees, then hold it overhead and move it around a bit. Also it would be helpful if you had another compass app for comparison purposes - I use the one by mappau.
    06-01-12 07:35 AM
    Excellent, bought your app truly to support good dev's but I do find myself using it with the wife keep up the good work
    06-01-12 07:49 AM
    To be honest, for me it wasnt showing the right direction while in the mini keyboard case. Then when I took it out, it took less than a minute (I think less than 30 seconds) to re-adjust itself. Before I knew it it was pointing North. Decided to put it back in the case and it was still working correctly after a couple minutes, pointing accurately in the right directions. Maybe the first time was just due to me opening the new version the first time with the new (awesome) api? selfcalibrated and then it was just working good.
    06-01-12 09:04 AM
    I want to thank you for all the feedback! It really helps me iron out the bugs. I still haven't figured out why one person has a "90 degree" problem but I noticed that the magnetic connector on the rapid charger will throw the reading out by 15 degrees or so.

This, coupled with another glitch adds up to an error of 45 35 degrees where I live - because I used the raw magnetometer reading instead of the one corrected for magnetic declination DOH! When I disconnect the charger, it takes some time to adjust itself so it gets a little frustrating.

I am going to submit a new release on Monday that fixes the declination problem and adds the reset button. It speeds up the auto--adjustment and should be useful despite the assurances in the API documentation that says otherwise.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 06-01-12 at 10:18 AM.
    06-01-12 09:05 AM

Just as a generally troubleshooting method, have you tried a hard reboot on the playbook to see if this corrects the issue?
    06-01-12 09:09 AM
    Point and view is now a smooth operator
    06-01-12 12:08 PM
    Point and view is now a smooth operator
    So true! And I think that the dev is a smooth operator too

In the past, PB AIR apps were only able to do one task at a time, constrained as they were by AIR's notorious lack of threading. But now a BB10 dev can build apps that are internally multi-tasking in nature (if he knows how).

It took a bit of re-building, but P&V scrolling is now as smooth as manual scrolling always has been. The app is getting updates from the native side of the ANE (ActionScript Native Extension) at the same rate as the Adobe side updates the screen - 30 frames per second.

There are no bottle-necks in the code so I am going to be able to increase the frame rate even more (perhaps to 50-60 frames per second) by offloading some heavy-duty arithmetic to the native side and let the Adobe side concentrate on repainting the screen. I should be able to drastically increase the number of stars in the database too!
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 06-01-12 at 01:04 PM.
    PanaSama and ninepbs like this.
    06-01-12 12:43 PM
    Haven't received the update notification yet. Does it take time to work its way through the system?

Thanks for the info.
    06-01-12 02:46 PM
    Haven't received the update notification yet. Does it take time to work its way through the system?

Thanks for the info.
    If you are running 2.0.1 or above, you should have received a notification by now. If you are already running v1.5.2 you should be okay. Try going to My World and if necessary, tap the "refresh list" button. Let us know if you are successful.
    06-01-12 03:02 PM
    I got the notification but appworld wouldn't show the update button.
    Refreshing didn't help but a restart of the Playbook fixed it.

Thanks Buzz!!
    06-01-12 03:18 PM
    If you are running 2.0.1 or above, you should have received a notification by now. If you are already running v1.5.2 you should be okay. Try going to My World and if necessary, tap the "refresh list" button. Let us know if you are successful.
    Running 2.1, Tried all of that already. I'll try later when I can actually play with it. Thanks.
    06-01-12 03:21 PM
    Running 2.1, Tried all of that already. I'll try later when I can actually play with it. Thanks.
    I assume that 2.1 should be okay but who knows with a dev beta? Again, I would appreciate hearing from you if and when you get access to the update, or not. I will ask in the development forum at RIM if you don't succeed.
    battery likes this.
    06-01-12 03:26 PM
    I assume that 2.1 should be okay but who knows with a dev beta? Again, I would appreciate hearing from you if and when you get access to the update, or not. I will ask in the development forum at RIM if you don't succeed.
    Refreshing list didn't help, restarting Playbook did. Thanks!
    06-01-12 03:29 PM
    I am having similar issues (got notification, but app stays at 1.5.2 in my world) and its bloody annoying.. Off to a very dark part of the UK and this baby will be fabulous with a glass of wine or two. trying the reset trick, will edit post if it shows 1.5.3.

PS Buzz: You seem to be mastering the dark arts better than a few weeks ago. Congrats on your hybrid native app

Edit: Mrs' playbook v2.0 OS just got update....All I can say is bloody h*ll! that's one he*l of an improvement
    Last edited by tinker2000; 06-01-12 at 03:49 PM.
    06-01-12 03:45 PM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD