03-29-12 10:24 PM
34 12
tools
    Awesome proactive support!

For those of us who don't know actionscript, what exactly does it do with integer math (or conversion to ints)?
    The problem is that the same division operation may return different values depending on the language used. The error in my app resulted when I transcribed a line of Java code into AS3 syntax and left a Trojan horse error in my code that only reared its head in the month of March but only in a leap years.

If you are interested, here is a detailed description of the problem. In both examples below I divide 10 by 3. The answer that I want is exactly 3 (not 3.333333) because the formula specified integer arithmetic (meaning that I should drop the fractional amount of any calculation).
    -------------------------------------------

In Java, if you declare a variable as an int and then divide it by a literal int, the result is guaranteed to be an int, as in the following example:

int x = 10; //declare variable x as an integer
    System.out.println( "result=" + x/3 ); // output printed to console: result=3

In AS3, the result is not guaranteed to be an int, so you have to cast (i.e. convert) the result to an int as in the following example:

var x:int = 10; //declare variable x as an int
    trace( "result=" + x/3 ); //output printed to console: result=3.333333333
    trace( "result=" + int(x/3) ); // output printed to console: result=3
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-27-12 10:11 PM
    Just wanted to let you know that I find your app is great and that I LOVE it. Keep up the great work, and your honesty and dedication is much appreciated.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-27-12 11:36 PM
    This is a great thing about having a presence in this forum. Wouldn't it be even greater if RIM would allow developers to send out a broadcast message when we have a problem like this? This forum is the next best thing though.

@ DD1968 - Thanks for the review and the rating. You're the best -- thanks.
    Through the app?
    I probably irritate people enough with pushing updates out as it is lol.
    03-28-12 09:18 PM
    Through the app?
    I probably irritate people enough with pushing updates out as it is lol.
    No, I was thinking that perhaps RIM could use notifications similar to the one's users receive when an update is available. It can be really frustrating when a bug is discovered and there is a simple workaround but there is no way to notify users.

On the matter of annoying customers with daily updates, if the updates are due to content changes, perhaps you can find another way to deliver the updates online (other than submitting a new release). This would be something like the way that desktop virus scanners deliver new virus definition files. Your app could check periodically with your web service to see if an update is available and either download it automatically or under user control based on the user's preference.
    03-28-12 10:51 PM
    That would be a way to do it, but would it work with the Playbook sandboxing? RIM seems pretty dead set against anything that's not approved by their App World team.
    03-28-12 10:54 PM
    That would be a way to do it, but would it work with the Playbook sandboxing? RIM seems pretty dead set against anything that's not approved by their App World team.
    RIM has no objection at all to you interacting with a web service. If it is obvious that you are connecting to forbidden content and/or it's embedded in your app, they might have an objection, otherwise they won't bat an eye.

I use a web service in my own app to convert postal codes into longitude and latitude. It's not really a core requirement for my app but it works nicely. But an app like yours screams out for a custom service due the higher volumes. A service would also allow your users to avoid downloading stuff that they have no interest in. They can't do that if you are pushing the stuff through App World.

You should, for obvious reasons tell your user why you are connecting and downloading stuff, but it's the way to go. If you need to write a simple back-end for your custom service, you will need to know PHP, JSP or some other server-side scripting language and you will also need access to a serve (obviously). But if your app demands this type of implementation, you owe it to your users to do it the right way. I suppose if you don't have knowledge or access to required facilities, you could consider partnering with a back-end guru.
    03-28-12 11:33 PM
    I'm willing to bet that they are planning to implement the developer message thingy within bbm. That's how you'll be able to get in touch with the users. I'm also willing to bet that won't happen until BB10 is released.

By the way, What's Up is one of my favorite apps.
    03-29-12 01:36 PM
    Bugs from Outer Space!!! I think I've seen this movie before...
    03-29-12 05:15 PM
    Bugs from Outer Space!!! I think I've seen this movie before...
    It was probably one of these:

Starship Troopers

The Giant Spider Invasion
    03-29-12 10:24 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD