Hey guys,

So I had a quick question regarding BlackBerry Bridge. I got a PlayBook recently, and to my understanding, some providers charge a tethering fee (like AT&T) even if you don't use tether specifically, but the bridge application. I wasn't sure if Verizon does this, so I tried to find a work-around "free" way to bridge the PlayBook (one of the main reasons I got it was to bridge!)

I found an older thread that mentioned downloading the Blackberry Bridge application OTA through RROYY's webpage. (RROYY.com) The phone I'm going to be using the bridge from is my work phone, and I need to be to very reliable as I need 24/7 connection. I don't want the phone to crap out on me unexpectedly. So my question is... using RROYY's website to download the Blackberry Bridge program, I was able to successfully bridge with my PlayBook and go online. However, is the program on RROYY's website the official program released in BlackBerry World, or is it different (hacked, programmed differently, etc.)which is what allows bridging to be free? Many people have downloaded it and it seems to be stable, but I can't take my chances and would rather pay the $20/month if it could potentially lead to my phone malfunction due to software problems.

Thanks ahead of time.
    12-18-11 07:21 PM
    RROY has an official Bridge version without the ATT modification that allows the carrier to know you are using the app. Just like using another carrier OS in my mind. Been using the RROY version for months without a hitch so far.
    12-18-11 07:24 PM
    Ah ok. So if I'm understanding you correctly, RROYY's version is ONLY intended for AT&T users because the AppWorld version (for AT&T) has an additional modification on it allowing for AT&T to track your usage.

However, the RROYY's version should be identical to other carrier's AppWorld that do not charge a monthly tethering fee (like Verizon)
    12-18-11 07:49 PM
    Ah ok. So if I'm understanding you correctly, RROYY's version is ONLY intended for AT&T users because the AppWorld version (for AT&T) has an additional modification on it allowing for AT&T to track your usage.

However, the RROYY's version should be identical to other carrier's AppWorld that do not charge a monthly tethering fee (like Verizon)
    almost. rrory's is untouched from rim, carriers r free to mod it if they want, like att. but rorry's is pure rim baby, yea.
    12-18-11 10:07 PM
    I already pay up the a$$ for my BES service for AT&T. Thanks to RROYY, I don't have to pay the extra tethering charge. Make sure to donate on his site. :-)
    rroyy likes this.
    12-21-11 02:49 PM
    I had the Bridge ver. 1.0.7.4 on my At&t Torch 9800 I couldn't use the browser on my Playbook so I downloaded the ver. 1.0.7.5 from rroyy.com and the bridge browser works great (matter of fact I am typing this on my Playbook on the bridge browser) but now I have a new problem the BBM dosen't work on my playbook.
    does anyone have an idea what the problem is and what the fix for it?
    is it a known problem and basically its either bridge browsing or BBM?

Edit: After rebooting the phone it now works, sorry for bothering.
    Last edited by BoldWorld; 01-17-12 at 10:30 AM.
    01-17-12 05:14 AM
    I can't take my chances and would rather pay the $20/month if it could potentially lead to my phone malfunction due to software problems.

Thanks ahead of time.
    There is probably a higher chance of your phone malfunctioning using the modified ATT version than the one straight from RIM
    01-17-12 06:42 AM
    I read this thread months ago but never installed the RROYY bridge version. I have an unlimited grandfathered data plan from attention and just installed the RROYY bridge version. WORKING WITHOUT A HITCH!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys! I love this forum!n
    02-25-12 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD