Ok, I haven't had a credit card in many years. I never saw a real need to purchase paid apps for my Blackberry, really in my opinion all the essential ones were free anyhow. Now with my new Playbook I needed a descent book reader app so I broke down and bought one of those prepaid Visa's.

So what, in your opinion are the essential apps I need to purchase?

Inquiring minds want to know.......
    01-14-12 04:37 PM
    And yes I should of started this thread in the apps subforum
    01-14-12 04:40 PM
    As the Thread Author, you can report this with the report button, and ask the mods to move it for you.
    01-14-12 04:44 PM
    Bookreader
    Guitarist's Reference
    Last edited by braindigger; 01-14-12 at 04:55 PM.
    01-14-12 04:46 PM
    - Battery Guru; really useful breakdown about battery health... also includes csv export which allows for detailed analysis
    - IM+ for instant messenger chat via multiple protocols
    - aVNC for remoting in to my machines at home
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-14-12 04:54 PM
    Essential Applications for the BlackBerry PlayBook:

Battery Guru
    Book Reader
    Files and Folders

As for payment method without a credit card, set up a PayPal account and associate it with a chequing account at a credit union and keep one hundred dollars in the account. I much prefer using PayPal whenever possible for any online transaction because it means my credit card account or bank account information is only stored with a single payment service or vendor. Naturally, not every online website offers PayPal as a payment method.
    Innovatology and peter9477 like this.
    01-14-12 05:02 PM
    I have not bought a lot of apps. I did buy the premium Doc's to Go a couple years ago, and at the time it was essential to me, and the only essential app I've paid for.

As far as what you should get or buy, that is such an individual thing, very subjective. (The apps that are essential to me are all free and I'm not running any paid apps right now, not even any of the paid apps that RIM was giving away.)
    01-14-12 05:11 PM
    First things first. Appworld uses PayPal, I use a pre paid credit card on it. Just to be safe. but you can set up PayPal right to your bank.

1) Splashtop desktop. remote VNC view, plays videos, audio and more.
    2) Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle, Works great.
    3) SMS Bridge, its actually an app for BB phones but it gives you SMS on your playbook through Bridge.
    4) A couple games, gotta have a few. I have Asphalt 6, N.O.V.A 2HD, Star Front: Collision HD, and a few others.
    5) comwave ephone, If you need something like this (VOIP) then it works.
    01-14-12 05:12 PM
    The essential applications I have on my Playbook which I paid for are:

Battery Guru
    BlackBird
    DeadSpace (great time killer)

Most of my applications I wouldn't categorize them as essential or they are free. For instance, Conqu, Easy Notes and Playbook News applications are the majority of my usage.

Also as noted by BB9700CA, you can set up a paypal account and associate it with a account. I use paypal for my purchases although it is connected to my VISA.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-14-12 05:14 PM
    Files & Folders
    Splashtop remote does not work in my case through the internet (gmail), only on local wifi network. Hopefully it will work one day......
    Innovatology likes this.
    01-14-12 05:16 PM
    1.- Book Reader
    2.- Files And Folders
    3.- Splashtop
    4.- Groovy notes
    5.- Webreader
    Innovatology likes this.
    01-14-12 05:33 PM
    1 simple browser +
    2 nova 2hd
    3 file manager
    4 evernote
    5 touch up pro
    01-14-12 06:29 PM
    Essential Applications for the BlackBerry PlayBook:

Battery Guru
    Book Reader
    Files and Folders

As for payment method without a credit card, set up a PayPal account and associate it with a chequing account at a credit union and keep one hundred dollars in the account. I much prefer using PayPal whenever possible for any online transaction because it means my credit card account or bank account information is only stored with a single payment service or vendor. Naturally, not every online website offers PayPal as a payment method.
    You really think thats simpler than a prepaid credit card? I picked it up when I was in the grocery store. It cost 2 dollars and no one has access to any of my banking information.
    01-14-12 06:46 PM
    Is files and folders significantly superior to air browser?
    01-14-12 06:51 PM
    Files and Folders (and File Browser) both allow you access to a bbphone's file system for transfer to/from.
    project_x likes this.
    01-14-12 07:32 PM
    Files and Folders (and File Browser) both allow you access to a bbphone's file system for transfer to/from.
    Don't expect it to work though...
    Air browser is fine for most things... can't really see a big advantage of F&F over Air browser.
    01-14-12 08:14 PM
    file browser
    touch-up pro
    battery guru
    cut the rope
    angry birds
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-14-12 09:20 PM
    FileShield
    Vault
    Splashtop
    Bing Maps/Magellan Compass when local map caching is allowed