View Poll Results: Would You Prefer Flash or Android Games?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flash-based Game

2 22.22%
  • Android-based Game

7 77.78%
    I'm going to start developing a game for the PlayBook and BB10 (Dev Alpha yay!), it will be a very nice puzzle game with an interesting concept and available for 99 cents. I was thinking about which technology I should use to develop it.

I tried OpenGL ES on the Native SDK but it was really painful for a Java/HTML5 developer like me. This lets me with the Flash and Android SDKs, so I decided I would ask you guys before. Which one you prefer: A Flash game that looks native or a Android game that runs on the Android Runtime?

PS: I won't put the game for sale in Google Play since my AdSense account was disabled ~2 years ago.
    08-28-12 04:18 AM
    I vote for the best Run-Time environment

-Android; No special codes allowed
    -Flash; Memory hog and not always smooth

Choose the easiest language for your goal.
    nathanpc likes this.
    08-28-12 04:58 AM
    I tried OpenGL ES on the Native SDK but it was really painful for a Java/HTML5 developer like me.
    You may try some middleware like ShiVa 3D or Unity game engines.
    08-28-12 05:13 AM
    I vote for the best Run-Time environment

-Android; No special codes allowed
    -Flash; Memory hog and not always smooth

Choose the easiest language for your goal.
    Since my background is Android and BlackBerry development with Java and iOS (and PlayBook) development with HTML5, I think the Android SDK will be the best for me.

You may try some middleware like ShiVa 3D or Unity game engines.
    I dislike those engines because I prefer to have power over my code. I prefer to write my own engine.

Sent from my Torch 9800
    08-28-12 06:00 AM
    I'm going to start developing a game for the PlayBook and BB10 (Dev Alpha yay!), it will be a very nice puzzle game with an interesting concept and available for 99 cents. I was thinking about which technology I should use to develop it.

I tried OpenGL ES on the Native SDK but it was really painful for a Java/HTML5 developer like me. This lets me with the Flash and Android SDKs, so I decided I would ask you guys before. Which one you prefer: A Flash game that looks native or a Android game that runs on the Android Runtime?

PS: I won't put the game for sale in Google Play since my AdSense account was disabled ~2 years ago.
    Go native. Native apps and games will always work better than android.
    08-28-12 12:13 PM
    Go native. Native apps and games will always work better than android.
    Sadly I'm not a huge fan of C/C++, also OpenGL ES 2.0 is a pain compared to OpenGL (the desktop version) which makes development using the Native SDK a lot more difficult. That's why I'm deciding to write my game on a language that I feel confortable with, like Java.

Sorry. I would really love to make it native, but sadly my Object-Oriented Programming background makes it extremely difficult to use the Native SDK.
    08-28-12 12:22 PM
    NathanPC: If you are an HTML5 developer... why not use HTML5?
    08-28-12 12:47 PM
    NathanPC: If you are an HTML5 developer... why not use HTML5?
    The HTML5 Canvas is really a awesome technology but it's still in early developments and it's still very tricky for doing serious game development. I prefer to use my Java knowledge on a Android Runtime game.
    08-28-12 01:22 PM
    The HTML5 Canvas is really a awesome technology but it's still in early developments and it's still very tricky for doing serious game development. I prefer to use my Java knowledge on a Android Runtime game.
    I think you just gave yourself your answer.
    08-28-12 01:49 PM
    Native apps sell better than android ports this is something that I've noticed. People have a negative feeling toward android apps as of now, but all this might change if Rim comes out with improvements to the Android player.
    nathanpc likes this.
    08-28-12 02:52 PM
    I think you just gave yourself your answer.
    I opened up this pool to know what the community was thought about Flash vs Android games and choose later, but since Android is wining...

Native apps sell better than android ports this is something that I've noticed. People have a negative feeling toward android apps as of now, but all this might change if Rim comes out with improvements to the Android player.
    I really hope that changes because developing using the Native SDK is really painful. All Android games look native on my PlayBook and Dev Alpha since I set the bottom bar to be hidden so it wouldn't annoy me.
    08-28-12 02:58 PM
    HTML5/JS + WebGL?
    08-28-12 02:58 PM
    WebGL is only worth if you're going to make 3D games and it's still better to use the Native SDK with OpenGL ES instead since the syntax and the painfulness will be almost the same and the performance won't be as good as native OpenGL ES.
    08-28-12 03:02 PM
    2.1 beta is very solid for android ports.

Android is a better option even if it wasnt though since you can then easily put it on the android store.

Sent from my BB 9900 using the CB Forums App!
    08-28-12 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD