In other words: Should I buy a Playbook or an Android tablet?
    (Please, if this particular question has been discussed /recently/ then point me to that thread, and thank-you!)
    I have an android smartphone (sony experia).
    I would like an ebook reader and a big(ger) screen sat nav, and a bigger screen to view web pages (using Wifi) than the phone.
    Do I get one of Morgan Computer's refurb Playbooks at 90, or a cheap Android tablet such as Sumvision Cyclone Voyager Tablet at 70? (tho' that price difference is not a deciding factor).
    AIUI, the playbook is a superior piece of hardware (incl higher res screen) (?and better made, mechanically?), but I shall have to sideload android software to get it to do what i want nicely/properly/effectively (ie the native ereader and satnav apps for the playbook are not very good, or flawed). [No offence intended!]
    Does sideloading work without hassle?
    Any comments or advice, please.
    Thanks, John
    09-05-13 05:01 AM
    An old version of the Android Kindle app can be sideloaded very easily and works rather well. PB comes preloaded with a native Kobo e-Reader app, and there are a few e-Reader apps in the app store, most of which are capable of reading the popular eBook formats (epub, mobi etc.), but if you want to buy books from a store like the Kindle store, you'd have to remove DRM manually before transferring the books to the PB. (i.e. the Kindle app is a better option, plus it's free unlike some of the apps in the app store).

I haven't tried anything with regards to sat nav.

My advice may be the B&N Nook HD. It recently got a price drop to 79 for the 8GB and 99 for the 16GB, and it's probably a better tablet than the cheap Android tablet you mentioned. It has a slightly better processor than the PB, a better screen than PB, takes micro SD cards to expand the memory, plus it has full access to the Google Play store, so you can install whatever Android apps you want, and the latest versions too. Plus being a B&N device, it comes with built in e-Reader functionality (albeit with the B&N store, rather than Kindle store or whatever, but you can easily install whichever app you want from the Play Store).

On top of that, it is officially support by CyanogenMod, a custom ROM for Android devices, which basically means that you can install a custom version of Android that is essentially "pure" Android, instead of B&N's modified version.

NOOK Tablets | Apps | Accessories | Books at NOOK UK
    johnbb99 likes this.
    09-05-13 05:58 AM
    As far as I know, the Nook doesn't have GPS, and if so, navigation on the Nook is out. The PlayBook has GPS, but you'll get differing opinions as to its functionality. Some will say it doesn't work or that it takes forever to get a fix- others, like myself, will have generally positive things to say about it.
    johnbb99 likes this.
    09-05-13 10:12 AM
    An app called "Book Reader" allows you to load your own books and documents. I use it regularly for public speaking.
    johnbb99 likes this.
    09-05-13 05:17 PM
    Go playbook. GPS works well with the exception of not being able to stay on for longer than 5 mins. Side load 10000 free ebooks and you will have the best ebooks reader with all the latest books for free.
    09-05-13 07:40 PM
    Createwww:- Which apps are you recommending? (And I assume the satnav downloads the maps first).
    Generally, re satnav, A) do users in built-up areas find they have poor signal, and
    B) does a power lead (e.g.) serve as an aerial - i.e. what can be done to improve the strength of the signal? (Do some mounting brackets mask the internal aerial?)
    Thanks, John
    09-06-13 02:29 AM
    1st gen nexus 7 is now on serious discount. Far better tablet than the Playbook, and yes I have a 64gb pb, Asus transformer and nexus 7 (2013) and couldn't recommend anyone spend almost a hundred quid on a PB now.

Nexus gets Google maps and navigation for nothing and kindle app is in play store.

Combined with an android phone a Google account you can't go wrong with the nexus.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    09-06-13 02:37 AM
    PFman: 1st gen nexus 7 is now on serious discount. -- do you mean costing 120?
    (As it happens, that's exactly the combined price of
    Navman Mio Spirit 695LM 5" Widescreen Satnav UK & Ireland Maps FREE LIFETIME Map updates, plus
    Amazon Kindle 4 - 6" e-Ink Screen Silver WiFi - Grade A+
    at morgan computers.)
    09-06-13 03:39 AM
    129 at ebuyer_ ex display full warranty..

http://m.ebuyer.com/395395

Or 149 plus a further 5% off (code TABL5) at PC world.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    johnbb99 likes this.
    09-06-13 03:46 AM
    Magellan Compass is probably the best SatNav app available for the Playbook.
    You download maps through the app to store for offline use.

The GPS works fine on my Playbook. Signal strength isn't a problem.
    dmlis, Carl Estes and johnbb99 like this.
    09-06-13 04:37 AM
    Well, I've gone ahead and ordered one, so no doubt I'll be back with questions soon!
    At least I've kicked my habit of a few decades ago, of being a 'first adopter' (Betamax, SONY CDP101) and paying through the nose...
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-07-13 05:48 PM
    e-reader: PlayEpub (native app $1) or sideload moonreader+
    Sat-nav: I've heard of some software on the playbook, but haven't tried any myself. If you do look into it, make sure you use software which allows you to d/l the maps and use them offline; otherwise you'll need a data connection as you drive.
    09-11-13 06:02 AM
    Well, I've gone ahead and ordered one, so no doubt I'll be back with questions soon!
    At least I've kicked my habit of a few decades ago, of being a 'first adopter' (Betamax, SONY CDP101) and paying through the nose...
    Welcome! and enjot the PB. We are here for those pesky little question that will pop up. Just ping and you will get an answer.

and ignore the little Gnome that lurks around here..........

c
    09-12-13 02:41 PM