Does anyone know what the video chat application that is to be released tomorrow actually *is*?

My questions are..

1) Is it only for playbook-to-playbook communication?
    2) Does it then use the 500-series Playbook PIN?

I feel like if this is only a playbook-to-playbook thing, I probably won't use it. I only know one other person with a Playbook.

The details from the press release don't really answer these questions. Any thoughts?
    05-02-11 07:04 PM
    I would refer you to the Crackberry Blogs - it's all right in there since 4.30 pm by Blaize!
    05-02-11 07:07 PM
    I would refer you to the Crackberry Blogs - it's all right in there since 4.30 pm by Blaize!
    Totally forgot to check here haha, thanks.
    05-02-11 07:10 PM
    My pleasure!
    05-02-11 07:13 PM
    The Video Chat application enables video and voice over Wi-Fi calling between BlackBerry PlayBook tablets in peer-to-peer or enterprise environments using your BlackBerry ID profile.
    so PB to PB it appears since the new BB dont have a FFC on them.

in other words you still need a 3rd party app for the video conference to really be of any use
    05-02-11 07:15 PM
    so PB to PB it appears since the new BB dont have a FFC on them.

in other words you still need a 3rd party app for the video conference to really be of any use
    Isn't Facetime a closed system too? Most apps that do video only so them in a closed system because some central server needs to setup the session. It sounds like RIM is using blackberry id combined with SIP, so at least they are using a standards based protocol for the solution. Even if you had a generic SIP client, you would still need an account with some sort of SIP registrar as it would need to tell you how to connect the call. Only other way would be ip to ip but with so much NAT'ing going on in the world that would be hard to do.
    05-02-11 07:51 PM
    Let's hope that when QNX starts showing up on the new phones we'll see the video chat there too
    05-02-11 07:54 PM
    Isn't Facetime a closed system too? Most apps that do video only so them in a closed system because some central server needs to setup the session. It sounds like RIM is using blackberry id combined with SIP, so at least they are using a standards based protocol for the solution. Even if you had a generic SIP client, you would still need an account with some sort of SIP registrar as it would need to tell you how to connect the call. Only other way would be ip to ip but with so much NAT'ing going on in the world that would be hard to do.
    yes i think facetime is closed also. But iOS has skype with video also. PB is still waiting. Qik works for android and Skype will be released soon. I just find it odd to have BBM video chat and the new phones dont have a FFC even. its just limited IMO
    05-02-11 08:27 PM
    do i have to wait on the update or is this app in appworld?
    05-02-11 08:35 PM
    do i have to wait on the update or is this app in appworld?
    Should be available in an update tomorrow.
    05-02-11 08:40 PM
    yes i think facetime is closed also. But iOS has skype with video also. PB is still waiting. Qik works for android and Skype will be released soon. I just find it odd to have BBM video chat and the new phones dont have a FFC even. its just limited IMO
    I'm excited for the video chat capabilities of the playbook but I agree with you, this, at least for me, is tremendously limited. No one I know owns a playbook so video chat options such as a true MSN client, Skype, or Qik is an absolute must for me - they are cross platform applications and I would suspect that cross platform video chat is what most people would use and need.

Still i take this as a good move by RIM on providing such robust applications on the Playbook. And look forward to seeing more updates like this in the near future.
    05-02-11 08:44 PM
    Skype is a closed system too, just cross platform. Skype needs to develop the app. It sounds like this bbm version may eventually be able to tie into corporate vtc systems via sip and bes. I think that is where the value add is, business grade video conferencing. I'm making a lot of assumptions though
    05-02-11 09:32 PM
    Skype is a closed system too, just cross platform. Skype needs to develop the app. It sounds like this bbm version may eventually be able to tie into corporate vtc systems via sip and bes. I think that is where the value add is, business grade video conferencing. I'm making a lot of assumptions though

very true. plug into hdmi monitor and instant video conference.
    05-02-11 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD