I'm working on writting a GPS app. I'm not going to kid you I'm not a programmer I'm a hobbist. Its something I want to do cause all the GPS apps I got for my phone had a lot of what I don't want and little what I did.
    What do yall want? I'm thinking the basics turn by turn directions. I want to feature on the map a digital compass. From here I want to go into a different direction. Instead of having features to find places to eat or hotels I want to "find me". In this function after Gps finds you, then you can switch to topo maps or weather radar etc. I want to beable to mark my spot and be able to back track. I guess I want more of GPS functions than say a traveling guide. I would use it to get back to a deer stand. I build a mount to mount it my viper so I can video record my hunt. I think it would be cool.
    04-10-12 12:28 PM
    Hi echo, what I would like is a differentiation between Driving Directions and Walking Directions. Like your other ideas. Good luck, Alex
    04-10-12 01:00 PM
    I would be happy with an app that would use offline calibrated maps of any type.
    I have Topo maps in .JPG and .PNG format calibrated for OziExplorer, Memory Map and others.
    All I really need is Tracking and Points.

Let me know when you need a tester.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-10-12 01:14 PM
    Offline maps for me too. That's a big limitation of Android that you can't have offline maps with the affordable/free apps. The ones that support offline maps will cost you as much as a standalone GPS unit.
    04-10-12 01:17 PM
    I need an app JUST LIKE this one, if you can Please (just delete the .zip part ,its not ziped)
    04-10-12 01:23 PM
    I'm working on writting a GPS app. I'm not going to kid you I'm not a programmer I'm a hobbist. Its something I want to do cause all the GPS apps I got for my phone had a lot of what I don't want and little what I did.
    What do yall want?.
    I want to be able to enter GPS coordinates and see location on a Google Map, and also be able to see a pointer on screen pointing in direction of target. That way I can pinpoint my favorite fishing spots, and have easy to navigate to them. Since Google don't let us download maps, a needle/compass indicator on screen is sufficient - along with distance to target of course
    04-10-12 01:39 PM
    Personally, I'd like a turn-by-turn navigation app, w/ spoken directions. As for on/off-line maps, my ideal would be the overall function of a Magellan or Garmin unit. If mapping is too big a problem, I coulduse the PB bridged when out of wifi range.

Best of luck in the development of your app; I'm sure that many of us have wildly different uses and desires in mind.

Harry
    04-10-12 01:40 PM
    For a GPS navigation app the following are required:
    a) offline maps and routing
    b) voice guidance
    c) 2D and 3D views, with day/night mode
    d) local search (obviously when online)

I have used, on a wifi iPad, a variety of nav apps and i have settled on Co-pilot Live HD..not perfect, but covers all the basics very well.
    04-10-12 02:01 PM
    Offline maps for me too. That's a big limitation of Android that you can't have offline maps with the affordable/free apps. The ones that support offline maps will cost you as much as a standalone GPS unit.
    The Android Maps(-) app is free and works fine for basic offline maps (tiles from OpenStreetMap).
    04-10-12 02:24 PM
    Offline maps is a plus to make the PB independent of a BB device for true GPS portability.
    Not ideal to have the PB and BB bridged for GPS map downloads (when outdoor hiking etc..), as the battery of both devices would deplete at a faster rate.
    04-10-12 02:44 PM
    I need an app JUST LIKE this one, if you can Please (just delete the .zip part ,its not ziped)
    You can buy GPSTest from the android market and sideload it...I have and it works a treat Wouldnt have BB phone, too basic...HTC Sensation so can get all the APK's I like
    04-10-12 02:50 PM
    I like all of your ideas! Would be great for hiking.
    04-10-12 02:51 PM
    You can buy GPSTest from the android market and sideload it...I have and it works a treat Wouldnt have BB phone, too basic...HTC Sensation so can get all the APK's I like
    Ya , i have the FREE versions(i am aware of the payable version of more features) for my andro phone and playbook, what i meant was i would like a Native version for playbook,not a port/rip/pirate or others of THAT nature.
    04-10-12 02:55 PM
    I want it to work just like a Garmin, TomTom or any GPS for a car. Self sufficient, no network required, maps all in the memory.
    04-10-12 03:02 PM
    I would love something like Igo8, I had it when I used Windows mobile 6.xx and it was perfect!! No data plan needed, off line maps with voice and turn by turn navigation and 2d/3d maps. Something like that for the playbook would be the perfect off-line gps nav system.
    wmwwa, Playbookowner and kizapet like this.
    04-10-12 03:07 PM
    How about a bit of augmented reality? Use the camera and g-sensor to plot your way.
    04-10-12 03:07 PM
    Off line maps. So you can use the unit as a sat nav, would make it the price drop of the playbook even more of a snatch.
    04-10-12 03:10 PM
    For a Sat Nav, it needs to be able to run without a data connection. Just GPS and on line maps. otherwise its not much point other than a handy but limited app like Magellan Compass..

Also your location point should always be (or always have the option for) facing north so its always in front of you as your driving..

On line maps for a sat nav just don't work unless you manage to get a constant decent internet connection in your car.

its also handy to have a re root option.. for example if you are forced to turn off your root, it will re calculate the root from where you are...
    Last edited by tunes666; 04-10-12 at 03:55 PM.
    04-10-12 03:53 PM
    wow guys didn't expect this kind of a turnout. Thanks. I believe we are all on the same page. I'm sorry I didn't mention that my plans are for you to be able to use off line maps. That's my origanal thoughts. So that it can be used as an outdoor.... Well..... an outdoor guide. I for see being able to download maps and using them. I'm working on right now accurring maps. I'm looking into how to download the map and calling it into the app.
    If I make a voice turn by turn direction it will be able to be disabled. I don't really like voice turn by turn. It starts to get on my nerves.
    I likes yall's ideas keep em coming. I still have a lot of research to do to get the resources for the app.
    04-10-12 04:15 PM
    Guys I've really been working on this feverishly. I'm having a big problem with working with offline maps. I can make the app call up the map wanted but having gps to find your spot on the map is totally driving me crazy. So I called in for some help. It seems that this is a pretty big problem to over come.I'm still working on it.
    My friend really liked the GuI, he thought it was sharp. He thinks I'm nuts for doing all this for a free app. I don't really. Anyway I hope to get it resolved soon enough for yall to use on yalls summer outings and fall huntings.
    DAnklaud and wmwwa like this.
    04-17-12 08:39 PM
    If you made anything like Microsoft Streets and Trips I'd pay as would others, I'll bet.
    Those are all great ideas and if you want to make a free app I will surely use it.
    wmwwa likes this.
    04-22-12 11:45 AM
    If you made anything like Microsoft Streets and Trips I'd pay as would others, I'll bet.
    Those are all great ideas and if you want to make a free app I will surely use it.
    I dont have any dealings with ms streets and trips but I'll check it out.
    Oh the app will be totally free. I'm still stumped. So far I just have a fancy map reader. Lol. I appreciate the considertion.
    04-23-12 01:57 AM
    Besides all the features said before a keep screen on or stop the pb to go to stand by mode when getting directions...also able the app should pause the music when is going yo give a direction...if the music is on...continue when finished...or it should been able to control voice volume
    04-23-12 07:08 AM
    Personally, I prefer separate mission specific electronic tools. I remember back in the 70's when having a real hi-fi setup meant separate amp, pre-amp, tuner, equalizer, cassette deck, turntable, speakers, etc. Those who had these all in one "stereo" units took a hit when one of the "components" went bad, like say, the cassette portion of the unit, so the whole thing had to be shipped off for repairs, leaving the "audiophile" without any music.

Same with my "stuff"...I like my Garmin Nuvi 3450 for navigating, and I prefer my Leica Digilux camera for serious picture taking. I rely on my iPods for music to go, and my PB for everything else. If I had a PB with all the above features, and it (the PB) decides to crap out on me while on the road, then I'm left essentially with nothing, save for the radio in the truck.
    04-23-12 07:33 AM
    Personally, I prefer separate mission specific electronic tools. I remember back in the 70's when having a real hi-fi setup meant separate amp, pre-amp, tuner, equalizer, cassette deck, turntable, speakers, etc. Those who had these all in one "stereo" units took a hit when one of the "components" went bad, like say, the cassette portion of the unit, so the whole thing had to be shipped off for repairs, leaving the "audiophile" without any music.

Same with my "stuff"...I like my Garmin Nuvi 3450 for navigating, and I prefer my Leica Digilux camera for serious picture taking. I rely on my iPods for music to go, and my PB for everything else. If I had a PB with all the above features, and it (the PB) decides to crap out on me while on the road, then I'm left essentially with nothing, save for the radio in the truck.
    This is true. Fwiw I still have a stero just like that. However the PB is a unit of several different functions. I want a cool gps and want to try my hand at building it. Next to enjoying what I've built I like for others to get use out of it as well.
    If my PB crapps out on me I still have my Blackberry.
    04-23-12 05:44 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD