I am finally going to start using my playbook to read regularly what is the best epub reader for it?
    07-17-11 02:18 PM
    I use "ePUB Reader" its $1.99 i believe. Works great for me no problems at all.
    Gives you a couple of options to turn the page either tap (left side of screen goes back, right side goes to next page) or scroll mode. Also allows you to follow links (when in scrolling mode only) like table of contents etc. Also has 3 or 4 different themes for lighting and such.
    07-17-11 02:40 PM
    SVIT: does not work too well
    misses opening some files from various sources, but many from Proj Gutten'bg

EPUB Reader: just fine for now (my first choice)
    misses opening some files from various sources

Kobo Reader: boo
    can not side load files
    Last edited by mandony; 07-17-11 at 03:25 PM.
    07-17-11 03:21 PM
    SVIT: does not work too well
    misses opening some files from various sources, but many from Proj Gutten'bg

EPUB Reader: just fine for now (my first choice)
    misses opening some files from various sources

Kobo Reader: boo
    can not side load files
    Yes but, as a reader, Kobo's nice!
    07-17-11 03:29 PM
    I use Epub Reader, but when I rotate the PB, the app totally greys it and I need to close it and reopen it. Because you can't lock the orientation in Portrait, this is really annoying.

anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
    07-17-11 03:57 PM
    I use Epub Reader, but when I rotate the PB, the app totally greys it and I need to close it and reopen it. Because you can't lock the orientation in Portrait, this is really annoying. anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
    Not for me. Perhaps it is the size of the file?
    I have only had problems with a few files that have images; they just don't fully load.
    07-17-11 04:32 PM
    I use Epub Reader, but when I rotate the PB, the app totally greys it and I need to close it and reopen it. Because you can't lock the orientation in Portrait, this is really annoying.

anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
    I can lock in portrait just fine. Is your issue relating to just epub?
    07-17-11 06:48 PM
    OK, I'm a little confused. Do any available PB ereaders allow downloading public library content? I'm particularly confused by Kobo and compatibility with Overdrive. Overdrive seems to dominate public libraries, and Overdrive claims it is compatible with Kobo. However, I can't find any info on Kobo's website stating that Overdrive content is available. I assume this means that only the physical Kobo ereader can play Overdrive content, and not the PB app.

This is becoming a PITA. I want to be able to access content from my public library on my PB, but with Overdrive's stranglehold on digital library content this doesn't seem to be possible. Knowing how long it took Overdrive to update their BB app, which still doesn't allow WMA audio content doesn't give me much optimism.

I also don't understand how Overdrive determines whether to enable WMA audio content for devices. I understand the logic behind making apps with full access to iDevices - the vast number of owners makes it a no-brainer. But allowing WMA content on other devices seems disjointed. Some devices get it, while others don't. (Kobo, Apple, Microsoft, Creative = yes; Sony, Nook, RIM, Android = no). Anyone understand this?
    Last edited by Altarocks; 07-18-11 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Bolded my main question
    07-18-11 12:26 PM
    Here is a link to device compatibility with Overdrive:

OverDrive – Device Resource Center
    07-18-11 12:29 PM
    07-18-11 01:36 PM
    i actually like the way SVIT works,

- it has a nice scrub on the bottom (that comes and goes), page numbers on the right, & % on the left

- 5 different letter sizes, the most i've seen in all the epub readers now

- 3 nice fonts, ariel, verdana, and Tahoma

- bookmark tab

- night mode

- remembers the last page you were

- I like way it navigates, it ensures that you're not going to accidently swipe the page.

NEGATIVES:

- no cover view, only list view by title

- no sorting

- doesn't have any different background except white.

- doesn't have independent light control separate from the main system brightness. (actually I don't think any of the ereaders have it)

- The problem (big problem) is that it's either a hit or a miss with epub files.
    And right now it's about 70 percent miss and 30 percent hit.

If the developer fixes the bugs and add in some killer features this could be a great ereader
    07-18-11 08:48 PM
    nm epub reader has 6 font sizes
    07-18-11 09:01 PM
    Just purchased Book reader for epub and kindle books from appworld for $0.99 works just great for me, with a book i purchased from kobo that refused to download the full version to the PB, i'm loving this Playbook more each day!!
    09-22-11 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD