I see that a lot of people are complaining about the lack of apps, and a lot of people compare the PB to other platforms that have a lot of apps. But most of the apps for the iPad and Android are crap. I mean that they do almost nothing.

So my question is what kind of apps are you waiting for? (besides native email)

You do realize that a tablet will never have apps that will allow you to replace your laptop or even your netbook?
    06-18-11 03:42 PM
    06-18-11 03:51 PM
    Something so I can stream video from my NAS
    06-18-11 03:55 PM
    So many people there are requesting Skype. Skype will no doubt become available for the PB, but it is unlikely to have video chat. Video chat is not available even for Android even though people have begged Skype for it.

Also, this question is aimed specifically at those who are complaining the loudest about the lack of apps. We can all think of apps that we would like. I'm just wondering what apps are lacking for those who are trashing the PB for a lack of apps.
    Last edited by dabadaba; 06-18-11 at 04:38 PM.
    06-18-11 04:03 PM
    Something so I can stream video from my NAS
    some cat already posted a way to stream media from ur pc/nas u the Orb caster. it works nicely. search for it
    06-18-11 04:53 PM
    You do realize that a tablet will never have apps that will allow you to replace your laptop or even your netbook?
    Keep in mind that there are apps on the iPad 2 that couldn't even exist on an laptop right now, so don't be so narrow minded about tablets. I have a surveying app on my iPhone and iPad (Theodolite and Theodolite HD) that combine all the sensors to replicate a surveyor's transit. Couldn't even begin to do that with a laptop.

I think it's limiting to think about how tablets compete with other devices, because you'll never exploit the architecture to its fullest. This is one reason Windows tablets have always failed so badly -- they were never able to be their own device, and were always worse than something else. And many other tablet makers are falling into the same trap, just releasing devices to play in the market without really getting it. For a tablet to be successful, at least some major part of its mission has to involve doing stuff that is either unique to a tablet or better on a tablet. I think that is part of the reason the iPad 2 has been so successful. There are a lot of innovative apps on iOS that exist because the devices make them possible/feasible/useful, and the apps just wouldn't make sense on a laptop or desktop computer.
    Last edited by dfg912; 06-18-11 at 04:57 PM.
    06-18-11 04:55 PM
    are you on crack? are you really saying the apps on other platforms are crap? WOW
    06-18-11 05:16 PM
    some cat already posted a way to stream media from ur pc/nas u the Orb caster. it works nicely. search for it
    Wow, I must really be out of it - I don't even know what that means. As for streaming, I'm sure it will come soon.
    06-18-11 05:31 PM
    Cheers, I'll check it out.
    06-18-11 05:41 PM
    how about an answering machine for video chat? would be nice if there is no answer, the ability to leave a voice note
    06-18-11 05:50 PM
    are you on crack? are you really saying the apps on other platforms are crap? WOW
    Yes, that's essentially what I'm saying, and I'm not on crack. There is not one app that would induce me to buy a tablet at the present time, and I own an Android tablet. There are a handful of useful apps, but the rest are games, useless apps, redundant apps, apps that take care of system tasks (like battery level) that can be done through the OS itself.

Someone in another thread stated it very well. Developing (well, having others develop) professional apps that are useful and go beyond what is available for other systems is where RIM could really shine.

I will buy a PB when it finally matures, but the app selection will not be a deciding factor. I would hope that there were a few very good professional apps and the other apps that anyone could get on another platform would be reduced or eliminated (in the case of useless apps and about 2/3 of the games).

I understand that some apps like the ability to stream video and to have ebook readers are important. So is video chat. But we don't need more battery apps or weather apps.

The PB has excellent hardware, and I believe that the OS and native apps will mature by the end of summer if not sooner. I just can't see why so many people are trashing the PB over apps when the apps for the other platforms are nothing to write home about.
    06-18-11 05:51 PM
    Keep in mind that there are apps on the iPad 2 that couldn't even exist on an laptop right now, so don't be so narrow minded about tablets. I have a surveying app on my iPhone and iPad (Theodolite and Theodolite HD) that combine all the sensors to replicate a surveyor's transit. Couldn't even begin to do that with a laptop.

I think it's limiting to think about how tablets compete with other devices, because you'll never exploit the architecture to its fullest. This is one reason Windows tablets have always failed so badly -- they were never able to be their own device, and were always worse than something else. And many other tablet makers are falling into the same trap, just releasing devices to play in the market without really getting it. For a tablet to be successful, at least some major part of its mission has to involve doing stuff that is either unique to a tablet or better on a tablet. I think that is part of the reason the iPad 2 has been so successful. There are a lot of innovative apps on iOS that exist because the devices make them possible/feasible/useful, and the apps just wouldn't make sense on a laptop or desktop computer.
    That's right, the tablets need apps that set them apart. But right now, such apps are few and far between. And the PB needs to focus on "professional" apps to set it apart from the others.
    06-18-11 05:58 PM
    I think one app that really shows how the tablet platform can shine over other form factors is Notes Plus on the iPad. I would LOVE to have that on my Playbook.

Notes Plus

Got check out a few of their demo videos. That is about the only app I've seen that gives me iPad envy with my Playbook.
    06-18-11 06:03 PM
    The only apps I ever use are yellowpages, kindle, google maps and twitter on my iphone. We have a couple of dusty ipads in the house with tons of apps that almost never get used.
    06-18-11 06:26 PM
    Why is Skype reluctant to make video chats for tablets? I'd love to see that on the PB. Also IMs apps for yahoo msgr, windows live etc would be go(along with the video chatting capabilities). RIM should focus on professional apps that are made for professionals e.g accounting package apps, engineering apps, law apps, medical apps etc...this would really set them apart.
    06-18-11 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD