What native Playbook app will play "all" video formats that I throw at it? Really I am looking for support for various x264 avi formats that tend to be what you get if you download a HD tv show.

I am not interested in converting the file to some other format, like divx. I do not have to convert them on my Android phone (Galaxy Nexus), Android tablet (Samsung Tab 10") or my wife's iPad 1. All three of those have alternative video players that allow you to play anything you want.

I've read various reports of people trying multiple Android video players on the playbook with no success. This is one of the big show stoppers if I can't get videos to play for plane rides. My other big items: chat, email, web, rss look to have great native apps. I got this Playbook free from the developer promotion.
    04-01-12 09:04 PM
    Hopefully this will help answer your question.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...English%29.pdf

The PlayBook can natively play .AVI with the High Definition H.264 but i'm not sure if that's the same as x264. Also when a .avi is being played only audiotype of .mp3 is supported.

Edit: After doing a quick google search on "x264" I found out that it is a type of H.264 encoding

x264 is a free software library and application for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format, and is released under the terms of the GNU GPL.
    http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html
    So, in theory, the PlayBook should be able to natively run all H.264 avi files. The only thing that may hold it back is the audiostream (like I mentioned before), with .avi only an mp3 audiostream is supported.
    Last edited by strider2112; 04-01-12 at 09:55 PM.
    04-01-12 09:51 PM
    I don't think any software package like that exists on any platform. VLC might come close on the PC but that's about it.
    04-01-12 10:37 PM
    You can play Flash video on your wife's ipad?
    PigeonTom and shampisang like this.
    04-01-12 10:49 PM
    This guys sounds like a showboating j€rk
    04-02-12 01:12 AM
    I don't think any software package like that exists on any platform. VLC might come close on the PC but that's about it.
    Would be nice if someone does a native port of VLC.
    chaddeus likes this.
    04-02-12 01:24 AM
    strider2112, thanks for the very helpful information. I think you are right about it being the audio codecs. I threw a few more x264 files at it and it did play some of them. I'm going to see how easy it is to convert the sound of one over to mp3 and see if it will play.
    04-02-12 09:24 AM
    If you recode the audio only (ac3-->aac) and leave the video as is...most videos will play just fine. My conversion time is about 20-30 seconds per movie.

Doing a batch conversion every few weeks isn't much of a pain. A universal player would be very welcome... but there are other, more pressing, apps I'd like to see first.
    bbrishi likes this.
    04-02-12 10:18 AM
    You can play Flash video on your wife's ipad?
    If you talking about *.flv then it is just a container format like *.mkv, not a codec.

But yes, 3rd-party app like AvPlayerHD on iPad can play almost all of codec and file ext, like flv, wmv, avi, mkv, rm,....
    04-02-12 11:09 AM
    If you recode the audio only (ac3-->aac) and leave the video as is...most videos will play just fine. My conversion time is about 20-30 seconds per movie.

Doing a batch conversion every few weeks isn't much of a pain. A universal player would be very welcome... but there are other, more pressing, apps I'd like to see first.
    What program do you use for those mass conversions and that takes only 20-30 seconds per movie? Thanks.
    kirikouestpetit likes this.
    04-02-12 12:02 PM
    So far, I don't have difficulties to play various video formats in PB using native player, except mkv. However, by simply re-code the audio files to mp3 (around 40 sec) and merge it to the original mkv file (using mkvmerge), then rename the ext to avi will solve the problem.

Just search the forum for mkv and there's a good how to thread about this issue.

Sent from my good'ole BlackBerry
    04-03-12 06:59 AM

WOW 20-30seconds? are you talking about like 10meg movie or 700meg?

Since OS2 some of the avi movies don't play or can't skip forward anymore. This sucks.

I use anyvideo to convert ac3->mp3 and then the video player chokes. It plays but i can't skip forward.

which conversion app do you use to convert the audio?
    04-03-12 10:56 AM
    WOW 20-30seconds? are you talking about like 10meg movie or 700meg?

Since OS2 some of the avi movies don't play or can't skip forward anymore. This sucks.

I use anyvideo to convert ac3->mp3 and then the video player chokes. It plays but i can't skip forward.

which conversion app do you use to convert the audio?
    Smiley, have you tried programming for the pb? I know your programs from the bb phones.
    04-03-12 11:16 AM
    What program do you use for those mass conversions and that takes only 20-30 seconds per movie? Thanks.
    I don't quite get 20-30 seconds per movie myself, but for individual or batch conversions of this type, I use the free software Handbrake: HandBrake

Works great and doesn't take too long per movie. (I've never timed it though )
    04-03-12 11:17 AM

we're still waiting for the name of the program
    04-03-12 12:39 PM
    I don't quite get 20-30 seconds per movie myself, but for individual or batch conversions of this type, I use the free software Handbrake: HandBrake

Works great and doesn't take too long per movie. (I've never timed it though )
    Tried Handbrake before and it sucks. Doesn't work.
    04-04-12 03:05 AM
    If handbrake doesn't work you are doing something wrong.
    robkd and Scrizz like this.
    04-04-12 05:01 AM
    Actually the OP is right, there's a few mobile apps on other platforms which will play most things without need for old school file conversions. But to answer his question, no there's none for the PB and no, the sideloaded ones don't work either. Converting is currently our only option for unsupported formats.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    04-04-12 06:42 AM
    Use avidemux! Load your file into it, keep video as "copy", for audio select aac, under filter, convert it to stereo/dolby pro logic, and under container select mp4. Save the file directly to your playbook. Audio conversion is done in 20-30x realtime, so copying the file takes longer than the conversion -> No time loss at all. Works for the standard files, haven't tested for the blu-ray audio formats like dts_ma etc.
    Last edited by blaybook; 04-04-12 at 06:52 AM.
    04-04-12 06:49 AM
    Use avidemux! Load your file into it, keep video as "copy", for audio select aac, under filter, convert it to stereo/dolby pro logic, and under container select mp4. Save the file directly to your playbook. Audio conversion is done in 20-30x realtime, so copying the file takes longer than the conversion -> No time loss at all. Works for the standard files, haven't tested for the blu-ray audio formats like dts_ma etc.
    Hey blaybook, I have a question. Is all of this done on your pc then added to your pb? I haven't started loading my pb with movies yet, but I want to. Also, is avidemux an app or is it on your pc? Thanks in advance.
    04-04-12 07:08 AM
    I did try avidemux before but didn't select mp4 as the container and left it as avi and didn't work.

now switching to mp4 works fine. It took about 35mins to convert 1.1 gig ac3 avi format on my 3gig desktop
    04-04-12 01:59 PM
    Hey blaybook, I have a question. Is all of this done on your pc then added to your pb? I haven't started loading my pb with movies yet, but I want to. Also, is avidemux an app or is it on your pc? Thanks in advance.
    It's an app for the pc.
    04-05-12 12:29 AM
    Copying to the PB directly is all fine and dandy but totally loses appeal if you want to add this movie to your collection you keep on your PC without having to convert the original all over again at a future date.

Besides, this problem is still the same as the last time someone mentioned that avi demux workaround - workarounds are a poor solution when other platforms have had apps that don't need conversions at all for over a year.
    04-06-12 01:11 PM
    While I'll agree that it would be nice for an all-format player.... the fact is convert or don't watch it on the pb.
    04-06-12 02:42 PM
    i am new to bp and all other pc, i have videos on laptop (they play fab) transfered to pb and no sound ,i read about avidemux and have put it on pc tried to download to pb but cant do it ???? please one of you clever people out there help i dont understand a lot of the jargin so please keep it simple (aged 60 so be kind).
    thank you
    Last edited by bambitova; 04-25-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelt wrong
    04-25-12 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD