When will we be getting an msn app ????
    02-19-12 11:11 PM
    Why do you want an MSN app? MSN.com works fine...
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-19-12 11:19 PM
    USE THE INTERNET!

everyone is so dependant on apps because the failed browser of the ipad has become normal and 'apps' have become popular to fill this void that should not exist.

the browser works, use it!
    alnamvet68, jonmark, hpjrt and 4 others like this.
    02-19-12 11:23 PM
    When will we be getting an msn app ????
    use IM+ its a msn..skpye(no video) yahoo.. etc etc chat...get it from app world only thing that sucks is its 6.99 but worth it as its updated ALOT
    02-19-12 11:49 PM
    go hotmail.com, ebuddy every instant messaging website work with pb browser, also u can buy im+ or if i have to talksomeone on skype y just use splashtop to remote my pc, and if i need video just use av by aol we DONT need apps for everything... we are in cloud
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-20-12 12:20 AM
    If we all want the Playbook to blow up and become popular, we need several apps.

• Netflix
    • AIM
    • MSN
    • Yahoo
    • GTalk
    • Kindle

I agree. We need M$, Google, Yahoo, and AOL to develop apps for the Playbook. It's frustrating. I don't want to pay $8 for IM+, especially since PUSH doesn't work.

With that said, IM+ for Android works, so go figure out how to sideload the {dot}bar
    cdelcampo216 and speedypear like this.
    02-20-12 12:23 AM
    ya i didnt want to pay 8 for im+ but dont really bave a choice..besides like i said its always being updated n i can login to many different chat clients at the same time..one app..
    if they ever do make apps for msn..yahoo..etc u would need to run each own app at the same time taking much more space n memory...this is why i have decided to pay 8 for im+
    worth every penny
    02-20-12 01:02 AM
    USE THE INTERNET!

everyone is so dependant on apps because the failed browser of the ipad has become normal and 'apps' have become popular to fill this void that should not exist.

THIS. Well played.
    02-20-12 03:45 AM
    USE THE INTERNET!

Best objective observation of why the PB doesn't need every stinkin' app under the sun.
    02-20-12 03:50 AM
    Cheers, browser version seems to work!
    02-20-12 04:09 AM
    Best objective observation of why the PB doesn't need every stinkin' app under the sun.
    Amen brother. Amen.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-20-12 07:45 AM
    If we all want the Playbook to blow up and become popular, we need several apps.

• Netflix
    • AIM
    • MSN
    • Yahoo
    • GTalk
    • Kindle

I agree. We need M$, Google, Yahoo, and AOL to develop apps for the Playbook. It's frustrating. I don't want to pay $8 for IM+, especially since PUSH doesn't work.

With that said, IM+ for Android works, so go figure out how to sideload the {dot}bar
    These apps are not needed for the PB to be popular. What's needed is a small shift in the industry to a place where everyone uses a standard protocol (Ie.HTML5) to show their Web content. Then we need to get out of the iMentality that an app is required to make up for the "shortcomings" of a device. If you create a device that works properly then you don't need apps to consume web content. Such is the case with the PB. The browser works awesome for so many tasks that people need an app for on other platforms. You want Pandora? The browser works GREAT!

The problem with Netflix is that they use a protocol that is very limited. IM clients work fine in the browser. They work just like their desktop counterparts. You don't have push notifications there, do you? Nope. They have a client that runs in the background that's used to notify you.
    02-20-12 11:24 AM
    These apps are not needed for the PB to be popular. What's needed is a small shift in the industry to a place where everyone uses a standard protocol (Ie.HTML5) to show their Web content. Then we need to get out of the iMentality that an app is required to make up for the "shortcomings" of a device. If you create a device that works properly then you don't need apps to consume web content. Such is the case with the PB. The browser works awesome for so many tasks that people need an app for on other platforms. You want Pandora? The browser works GREAT!

The problem with Netflix is that they use a protocol that is very limited. IM clients work fine in the browser. They work just like their desktop counterparts. You don't have push notifications there, do you? Nope. They have a client that runs in the background that's used to notify you.
    I disagree. IM clients shouldn't be in the browser because in our case, you must check for a message. A dedicated app is much better in that you have a dedicated interface with the possibility of notifications if RIM allows it.

I want dedicated IM clients because I want my notifications.

You may not like dedicated apps, which is fine, but the Playbook won't become popular if the consumer has to bend backwards to get the functionality he/she needs. They aren't as smart as the IT crowd. I shouldn't have to sideload Android apps that I want. Why do I have to use Twitter in a browser? I sideloaded Twitter for Android. Works perfectly. I sideloaded Pandora. Works perfectly. I sideloaded Defender, Pool, VBA Emu, and IM+.

It's a design argument. Everything should be done at a central location. Want IM? Go to the menu and open it. Want Angry Birds? Go to the menu and open it.

It shouldn't be "Want IM? Open your browser and choose...imo.im, meebo.com, aim.com, etc." That's bad design. Always will be.

As for notifications on desktop clients...yes, they are there. It's called a flashing AIM icon and a sound.
    rmah, aft1981 and speedypear like this.
    02-20-12 11:31 AM
    go hotmail.com, ebuddy every instant messaging website work with pb browser, also u can buy im+ or if i have to talksomeone on skype y just use splashtop to remote my pc, and if i need video just use av by aol we DONT need apps for everything... we are in cloud
    And there's another thing: these methods are fine, but the Playbook has to choose a market: consumer or IT crowd. I'm in both worlds. I know what I'm doing, but I also want to be treated like a consumer with the ability to modify certain aspects to my needs. Remoting to a PC is inefficient and ridiculous, but it's neat nonetheless.

If we want the Playbook to be more popular, we must think about how to expand the PB for consumers. Until then, the PB will stay where it's at.
    02-20-12 11:34 AM
    USE THE INTERNET!

I think i love you.
    02-20-12 11:59 AM
    USE THE INTERNET!

Wrong. apps =/= browser.
    Email is a good example.

Android has browsers (plural) that are comparable to the PB's, but people still use apps.

Guys, the browser on a seven-inch display with touch interface will not give you the full web experience no matter how often you say it does. Many webpages are developed with desktop PCs in mind. This may change, of course, when the market is dominated by tablets.
    02-20-12 12:06 PM
    The native client version is most always a richer experience than using the website. I agree that App'ing the web done by Apple is the wrong way to go about things, but websites with rich content are mostly not touch friendly ATM. I find it frustrating as a result of Apple that content sites are busy building apps rather than trying to make their website a better touch experience.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-20-12 12:49 PM
    USE THE INTERNET!

It's not so much a dependency -and by extension is not about the 'failed ipad browers'- as it is more about forming a more positive user experience. Let's face it, the playbook is a solid device but if it wants to become competitive it's going to have to provide these services or viable alternatives. Yes, you could use the internet to do it, but it's just adding unnecessary tape that joe-blow consumer often isn't willing to work around.

Perhaps more importantly, apps are a way of adding value to an experience. Like TheStoof said, it's about having a dedicated interface and optimizing the user experience (think user interface/resolution/control scheme/etc.). Certainly this isn't always the case, but that is more a reflection of the developer (s) (see: glorified weblinks) than of apps and their utility in general.

tl;dr It's not unreasonable to ask for an app :P
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-20-12 12:57 PM
    Epinephrine works a treat sideloaded as a messenger equivalent. I have the free version already 'barred'
    02-20-12 02:14 PM
    i dont see why you need a 'interface' for every single thing you want to do

if you dont like the way dropbox.com or msn.com looks then blame THOSE companies and NOT RIM. if these companies have to develop apps to make them 'better' then again it is the fault of these companies and NOT the tablet/phone makers.

im tired of having blame placed in places where it shouldnt. RIM has done a lot of dumb things in the past, so blame them for the wrong they have done...not for something that you WANT. Remember there is a difference between WANTS and NEEDS.
    02-20-12 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD